Debates Forum

Debates Forum

1. Joined
    02 Jan '06
    Moves
    07 Dec '18 22:51
    https://news.bloombergenvironment.com/environment-and-energy/pollution-linked-to-climate-change-kills-7-million-a-year-report

So if global warming kills about 7 million people a year, doesn't that reduce carbon emissions?
  2. Standard memberDeepThought
    Losing the Thread
    Cosmopolis
    Moves
    07 Dec '18 22:55
    @whodey said
    https://news.bloombergenvironment.com/environment-and-energy/pollution-linked-to-climate-change-kills-7-million-a-year-report

So if global warming kills about 7 million people a year, doesn't that reduce carbon emissions?
    With a world population of 7 billion or so, not significantly.
  3. Joined
    02 Jan '06
    Moves
    07 Dec '18 23:062 edits
    @deepthought said
    With a world population of 7 billion or so, not significantly.
    Too bad.

How many would you like to see die to curb carbon emissions?

Also, how in the world do you prove the global warming caused all of these deaths when you can't even prove smoking causes cancer?

That deserves 7 million wows!

YouTube
  4. Joined
    07 Dec '05
    Moves
    07 Dec '18 23:29
    @whodey said

The article says it is from air pollution. Then they add "which contributes" to CC. To be clear, they are not saying GW kills anyone. It makes a very tenuous link that is very ridiculous and deliberately misleading.

In other words, the article is stupid.
  5. Standard memberDeepThought
    Losing the Thread
    Cosmopolis
    Moves
    08 Dec '18 01:29
    @whodey said
    Too bad.

How many would you like to see die to curb carbon emissions?

Also, how in the world do you prove the global warming caused all of these deaths when you can't even prove smoking causes cancer?

That deserves 7 million wows!

[youtube]_0C2rQQiSss[/youtube]
    The link between smoking and lung cancer is well established. It's fairly easy to prove causation to a given level of confidence. I haven't looked at the report on deaths from global warming. Air pollution from particulates is known to cause deaths, I do not know what the link between air pollution and global warming is so I won't comment further.
  6. Joined
    02 Jan '06
    Moves
    08 Dec '18 01:46
    @deepthought said
    The link between smoking and lung cancer is well established. It's fairly easy to prove causation to a given level of confidence. I haven't looked at the report on deaths from global warming. Air pollution from particulates is known to cause deaths, I do not know what the link between air pollution and global warming is so I won't comment further.
    I agree, but it still cannot be proven.

Understand that the global warming is much more controversial, nothing close to believing that smoking causes cancer.
  7. Standard memberDeepThought
    Losing the Thread
    Cosmopolis
    Moves
    08 Dec '18 02:03
    @whodey said
    I agree, but it still cannot be proven.

Understand that the global warming is much more controversial, nothing close to believing that smoking causes cancer.
    No, the link between smoking and lung cancer is proven, beyond any but the most unreasonable of doubts.
  8. Subscribersonhouse
    Fast and Curious
    slatington, pa, usa
    Moves
    08 Dec '18 02:351 edit
    @DeepThought
    Remember the tobacco CEO's back a few years ago when they were called before the US congress? Totally safe, they said. Here is our proof (studies paid for, WOW, by big tobacco). Now it is just big oil with major, by major I mean hundreds of millions of dollars going to lobbyists influencing mainly republicans who could care less about the actual future of the planet as long as they continue to be elected.
  9. SubscriberWajoma
    Die Cheeseburger
    Provocation
    Moves
    08 Dec '18 04:27
    @deepthought said
    Smoking increases the chance of lung cancer. Millions of smokers who never get lung cancer or any cancer are the proof of this. Ypu've been sucked in by the state propaganda machine.
  10. Standard memberwolfgang59
    Mr. Wolf
    at home
    Moves
    08 Dec '18 06:27
    @wajoma said
    Smoking increases the chance of lung cancer. Millions of smokers who never get lung cancer or any cancer are the proof of this. Ypu've been sucked in by the state propaganda machine.
    Your first sentence makes sense but #2 and #3 are the ramblings of an idiot.
  11. Joined
    15 Dec '03
    Moves
    08 Dec '18 07:10
    @wolfgang59 said
    Suckin on a cig right now. Been doing it for 50 yrs. Still here.
  12. Joined
    07 Dec '05
    Moves
    08 Dec '18 07:56
    @wolfgang59 said
    # 2 makes sense. Some people smoke all their lives and never get cancer. He is pointing out that smoking only increases the risk and is not necessarily going to give you cancer. It depends on the person.
  13. Standard memberDeepThought
    Losing the Thread
    Cosmopolis
    Moves
    08 Dec '18 08:04
    @kquinn909 said
    Suckin on a cig right now. Been doing it for 50 yrs. Still here.
    It does not follow from the sentence: "Smoking causes cancer." that all smokers will necessarily develop cancer. So that not all smokers develop cancer does not invalidate the sentence.
  14. Joined
    07 Dec '05
    Moves
    08 Dec '18 08:081 edit
    @deepthought said
    It does not follow from the sentence: "Smoking causes cancer." that all smokers will necessarily develop cancer. So that not all smokers develop cancer does not invalidate the sentence.
    Eating grilled meat causes cancer then. Right?
  15. Standard memberwolfgang59
    Mr. Wolf
    at home
    Moves
    08 Dec '18 08:16
    @kquinn909 said
    Suckin on a cig right now. Still here.
    Man informs his work colleagues he is going to jump off top of their office block.
    They all think he is mad.
    But he knows better.
    He jumps.
    And as he passes each floor on the way down he says
    STILL HERE