Please turn on javascript in your browser to play chess.
Debates Forum

Debates Forum

1. 19 Jul '11 03:05
    Today gold closed just over $1600.00 an ounce.

I don't believe investing in gold is a trend. I don't know that many people besides myself that are invested in gold and/or silver. I suppose it is possible for the wealthiest people in the world to be driving the prices up by investing in gold since they have most of the wealth in the world. It could also be governments doing much of the buying.

http://www.reuters.com/article/2011/07/17/us-markets-forex-idUSTRE74U02L20110717

I don't believe you can have a bubble without a trend except for the reasons I stated above. Am I wrong?
  2. 19 Jul '11 03:24
    If it goes down to $800 and does not reach $1600 for 15 years then everyone will say it was a bubble. If it continues to go up it is just a good buying opportunity. The truth is if you know the answer, it is not difficult to buy coins or companies that would be more valuable that go up. But no one really knows what will happen.
  3. 19 Jul '11 03:31
    Originally posted by quackquack
    If it goes down to $800 and does not reach $1600 for 15 years then everyone will say it was a bubble. If it continues to go up it is just a good buying opportunity. The truth is if you know the answer, it is not difficult to buy coins or companies that would be more valuable that go up. But no one really knows what will happen.
    True enough, but what if it becomes a trend?

If that happens we could see gold reach $3000.00 or more.
  4. 19 Jul '11 03:46 / 1 edit
    Originally posted by Metal Brain
    True enough, but what if it becomes a trend?

If that happens we could see gold reach $3000.00 or more.
    If rising gold prices (or any commodity) is a trend then it is a buying opportunity.

Of course, I remember when i was a kid and gold went up to $800 or so dollar an oz and it took about two decades to get back to that price.
  5. 19 Jul '11 03:50
    Originally posted by quackquack
    Not a good buying opportunity.Its a good selling opportunity at $1600 per oz.
  6. Subscriber AThousandYoung
    Poor Filipov :,(
    19 Jul '11 03:54
    Originally posted by utherpendragon
    Not a good buying opportunity.Its a good selling opportunity at $1600 per oz.
    Smart man.
  7. 19 Jul '11 03:55
    Originally posted by AThousandYoung
    Smart man.
    LOL!!!! no, not really. just giving a gentle correction to what must of been a typo by the other poster(s).
  8. Subscriber AThousandYoung
    Poor Filipov :,(
    19 Jul '11 03:58
    I believe he's serious. He thinks buying gold at $1600 is a good buy.

Of course buying gold from desperate old widows can be profitable, but eventually the widows run out of wedding rings.
  9. 19 Jul '11 12:24
    Originally posted by AThousandYoung
    I believe he's serious. He thinks buying gold at $1600 is a good buy.

Of course buying gold from desperate old widows can be profitable, but eventually the widows run out of wedding rings.
    I remember last time I posted a thread about gold here and everybody said it was a bubble and that it might go to $1500.00 if you are lucky. They were all wrong and they also said it was trendy and that is wrong too.

After QE1 and QE2 inflation picked up and now Bernanke says he might do another Fed Reserve stimulus. Get ready for QE3!

When are you gold bears going to wake up and smell the coffee?
  10. 19 Jul '11 12:31
    I remember last time I posted a thread about gold here and everybody said it was a bubble and that it might go to $1500.00 if you are lucky. They were all wrong and they also said it was trendy and that is wrong too.

After QE1 and QE2 inflation picked up and now Bernanke says he might do another Fed Reserve stimulus. Get ready for QE3!

When are you gold bears going to wake up and smell the coffee?
    They weren't wrong and still aren't [when they claimed there is a gold bubble].
  11. 19 Jul '11 12:34
    Originally posted by KazetNagorra
    They weren't wrong and still aren't [when they claimed there is a gold bubble].
    A bubble without a trend???

Do you really think that is possible? Did you bump your head?
  12. 19 Jul '11 12:43

The nice thing about markets is we don't have to have pointless arguments about what should happen or what ought to happen.
    We can simply invest and see what happens.
  13. 19 Jul '11 12:47
    Is this the trend you are talking about?

http://www.wealthwire.com/news/headlines/1176
  14. 19 Jul '11 13:05

What are you talking about?
  15. 19 Jul '11 13:39
    Originally posted by KazetNagorra
    What are you talking about?
    I think his argument boils down to 'I don't know anyone who bought gold, so it can't be a bubble'.