Please turn on javascript in your browser to play chess.
Debates Forum

Debates Forum

1. 03 Jun '11 05:51
    And late night comedians.

Michelle Bachman is running for President!

http://talkingpointsmemo.com/archives/2011/06/bachmann_running_for_president.php?ref=fpblg
  2. Subscriber kmax87
    You've got Kevin
    03 Jun '11 06:01
    Originally posted by Kunsoo

http://talkingpointsmemo.com/archives/2011/06/bachmann_running_for_president.php?ref=fpblg
    for us outsiders, what makes her a particular target?
  3. 03 Jun '11 06:58
    Originally posted by kmax87
    It's hard to describe. I was introduced to her in a story about her spying on gay rights activists outside her office. She walked outside and hid behind a ledge peering at them. Whenever one of them looked her way, she would duck. What she didn't realize is that someone was taking pictures the whole time.

She is basically Sara Palin on steroids with her misunderstandings of history. She often misstates history in her speeches, and when called on it, attacks her detractors as elitists.

She has called for a revival of McCarthy's House UnAmerican Activities committee to investigate whether certain politicians hate America.

She claims that she turned conservative in reaction to reading a book by Gore Vidal, but it became woefully apparent in a subsequent interview that she had never cracked the book.

Here are some quotes.

http://www.buzzfeed.com/mjs538/the-ultimate-collection-of-stupid-michele-bachmann
  4. Subscriber kmax87
    You've got Kevin
    03 Jun '11 12:00
    It's hard to describe. I was introduced to her in a story about her spying on gay rights activists outside her office. She walked outside and hid behind a ledge peering at them. Whenever one of them looked her way, she would duck. What she didn't realize is that someone was taking pictures the whole time.

She is basically Sara Palin on steroids with he ...[text shortened]... quotes.

http://www.buzzfeed.com/mjs538/the-ultimate-collection-of-stupid-michele-bachmann
    God bless America!

Reading Bachman's quotes you could be excused for thinking you were listening to Palin. The top comment is exactly what I was thinking. Imagine if she and Sarah ran together? Wow! Scary stupid!

I think you guy's should put into law a test that weeds out stupid from running for public office.

Australia's already had her turn at this sort of dining room table, small mindedness.

Exibit A: Pauline Hanson.

"I come here not as a polished politician but as a woman who has had her fair share of life's knocks."

"My view on issues is based on common sense, and my experience as a mother of four children, as a sole parent, and as a businesswoman running a fish and chip shop."

"My greatest desire is to see all Australians treat each other as equals as we travel together towards the new century."

"To survive in peace and harmony, united and strong, we must have one people, one nation, one flag."

"Reconciliation is everyone recognising and treating each other as equals, and everyone must be responsible for their own actions."

"I believe we are in danger of being swamped by Asians."

"Immigration must be halted in the short-term so that our dole queues are not added to by, in many cases, unskilled migrants not fluent in the English language."

"I do not feel we can go on living in a dream world forever and a day believing that war will never touch our lives again."

"We are regarded as a Third World country with First World living conditions."

“Wake up, Australia, before it is too late. Australians need and want leaders who can inspire and give hope in difficult times.”

"This nation is being divided into black and white, and the present system encourages this."

"A social problem is one that concerns the way in which people live together in one society. A racial problem is a problem which confronts two different races who live in two separate societies, even if those societies are side by side."

"Immigration and multiculturalism are issues that this government is trying to address, but for far too long ordinary Australians have been kept out of any debate by the major parties. I and most Australians want our immigration policy radically reviewed and that of multiculturalism abolished."

"Governments must give to all those who have hit life's hurdles the chance to rebuild and have a future."

“Those who feed off the Aboriginal industry do not want to see things changed. Look at the Council for Aboriginal Reconciliation. Members receive $290 a day sitting allowance and $320 a day travelling allowance, and most of these people also hold other very well paid positions. No wonder they did not want to resign recently!”

"I was born here, and so were my parents and children. I will work beside anyone and they will be my equal, but I draw the line when told I must pay and continue paying for something that happened over 200 years ago. Like most Australians, I worked for my land; no one gave it to me."

"I won the seat of Oxley largely on an issue that has resulted in me being called a racist. That issue related to my comment that Aboriginals received more benefits than non-Aboriginals."

"If politicians continue to promote separatism in Australia, they should not continue to hold their seats in this parliament. They are not truly representing all Australians, and I call on the people to throw them out."

We have also had our descent into madness. All I can say is, enjoy!
  5. Standard member sh76
    Civis Americanus Sum
    03 Jun '11 12:54
    It's only good news for Dems if she wins the nomination.
  6. Standard member bill718
    Enigma
    03 Jun '11 14:55 / 2 edits

Michelle Bachman will self destruct via her dumb comments. Democrats however should not become too happy right now. President Obama may indeed lead every Republican contender in the polls, but the economy is still on uneven footing, and the national unemployment rate remains in the 8.8-9.2% range. This is NOT good news for Democrats!

The Democrats must:

1. Exercise some dicipline on spending

2. Stop caving into the GOP on tax cuts for the rich at a time when this tax revenue is needed most

3. Find a way to create more good paying jobs faster

4. Start paying back down the massive national debt that is a drag on the economy.

Unless the Democrats can show some real progress on these items in the next 18 months they remain vulnerable to a GOP sweep in 2012. Most American's understand what an economic mess Obama and the Democrats inherited from Bush and Co., but paitence is wearing thin, and it's time for the Democrats to stand and deliver.
  7. 03 Jun '11 18:49

She is basically Sara Palin on steroids with he ...[text shortened]... quotes.

Please, when Michelle B makes an error it is big news but when the President doesn't know how many States he's president of, it hardly gets mentioned.

One thing for sure, you can tell the Republicans the Democrats fear by how quickly they go to the attack.
  8. 03 Jun '11 18:52
    Originally posted by sh76
    It's only good news for Dems if she wins the nomination.
    I remember a few years ago when a nerdy mullato with big ears was hailed as great news for Republicans, even though most thought he couldn't beat the one they were scared of, Hilary Clinton.
  9. Standard member wittywonka
    Chocolate Expert
    03 Jun '11 18:52
    Originally posted by normbenign
    One thing for sure, you can tell the Republicans the Democrats fear by how quickly they go to the attack.
    Find me a Democrat who would have been worried about Donald Trump as a potential presidential candidate.
  10. 03 Jun '11 18:54
    I remember a few years ago when a nerdy mullato with big ears was hailed as great news for Republicans, even though most thought he couldn't beat the one they were scared of, Hilary Clinton.
    Obama is good news for the Republicans, the only problem was that GW was better news for the Democrats even if he didn't even run.
  11. 03 Jun '11 18:56
    Originally posted by kmax87
    She is a female conservative.
  12. 03 Jun '11 18:58
    Please, when Michelle B makes an error it is big news but when the President doesn't know how many States he's president of, it hardly gets mentioned.

You mean the 57 state thing? He wasn't yet President by the way, and aside from Rev. Wright and Bill Ayers, it's all they talked about for a news cycle.

What doesn't get covered is when Michelle Bachman went to Maine and congratulated them for being the state where the "shot was heard from round the world." Even more her self-righteous attitude when pointed out that Lexington was not located in Maine.

Of course, bigger news was that the Bush Administration had a press secretary who majored in political science but had never heard of the Cuban Missile Crisis.
  13. 03 Jun '11 18:59
    Originally posted by Eladar
    Obama is good news for the Republicans, the only problem was that GW was better news for the Democrats even if he didn't even run.
    Well, expect the Republicans to have four more years of good news.
  14. Standard member sh76
    Civis Americanus Sum
    03 Jun '11 19:01
    Obama was elected to the senate with 89% of the vote in 2004. In the same year he delivered a keynote address at the Dem convention.

Some Republicans wanted him to knock of Hillary because they hated Hillary. Nobody thought that Obama was going to be a pushover in the general; at least no one rational did.
  15. 03 Jun '11 19:05
    Originally posted by sh76
    Obama was elected to the senate with 89% of the vote in 2004. In the same year he delivered a keynote address at the Dem convention.

Some Republicans wanted him to knock of Hillary because they hated Hillary. Nobody thought that Obama was going to be a pushover in the general; at least no one rational did.
    do you think Obama is electable in 2012 and if so why? (I am sure you do btw)