Debates Forum

Debates Forum

1. Standard memberwolfgang59
    Mr. Wolf
    at home
    Moves
    10 Apr '18 21:46
    Video footage
    http://www.bbc.com/news/av/uk-wales-43711478/man-jailed-for-trying-to-stab-newport-police-officer

UK cops deal with man with knives.

How would this have been resolved in different countries around the world?
  2. Joined
    04 Feb '05
    Moves
    11 Apr '18 00:20
    Originally posted by @wolfgang59
    Video footage
    http://www.bbc.com/news/av/uk-wales-43711478/man-jailed-for-trying-to-stab-newport-police-officer

US cops would have shot him 20 times, from 3 or 4 different guns then went and got some donuts. Also they would have fired the cop who refused to shoot and tried to talk the man down.
  3. Joined
    04 Feb '05
    Moves
    11 Apr '18 00:211 edit
    YouTube

Jim Jeffries fits in every subject.
  4. Standard memberuzless
    The So Fist
    Voice of Reason
    Moves
    11 Apr '18 01:06
    Originally posted by @zahlanzi
    US cops would have shot him 20 times, from 3 or 4 different guns then went and got some donuts. Also they would have fired the cop who refused to shoot and tried to talk the man down.
    remember that post next time you need someone to help you. Funny thing is, even though you feel that way about them, they'll help you anyway.....
  5. Zugzwang
    Moves
    11 Apr '18 01:09
    Originally posted by @uzless to Zahlanzi
    remember that post next time you need someone to help you. Funny thing is, even though you feel that way about them, they'll help you anyway.....
    Does Uzless know that some people don't ask for help from the police because they are afraid of them?
  6. Standard memberuzless
    The So Fist
    Voice of Reason
    Moves
    11 Apr '18 01:131 edit
    Video footage

The article doesn't say if they had guns (which most wales cops don't). They said they were about to Taser the guy, presumably because they didn't have guns.

So to answer your question, they would have shot him with guns if they had them, and would have shot him with the taser gun if he hadn't attacked them first. I'm not sure what your point is here and why you think this is a good comparison to US cops that do have guns and don't wait to be attacked before they shoot (as they are trained).
  7. Standard memberuzless
    The So Fist
    Voice of Reason
    Moves
    11 Apr '18 01:15
    Originally posted by @duchess64
    Does Uzless know that some people don't ask for help from the police because they are afraid of them?
    That's BS....if you were in a car crash and were hurt while far away from home, or someone threatened your kids on the internet repeatedly the first thing you'd do is call the police.
  8. Seongnam, S. Korea
    Moves
    11 Apr '18 01:45
    Literally every situation can be different and have variables that make for different outcomes. Sometimes, the Police do a bad job.

Maligning all American police for the bad police among them is like blaming all Muslims for terrorist instances.

But yeah there is probably a culture problem.

For instance, if one subsection of the US population was 14 times more likely to murder someone than another subsection, we would look at that subsection as having room for improvement.
  9. Standard memberwolfgang59
    Mr. Wolf
    at home
    Moves
    11 Apr '18 03:43
    Originally posted by @uzless
    I can't remember a parent asking me to educate their son or daughter.
    Funny thing is, I did it anyway; it was my job.
  10. Zugzwang
    Moves
    11 Apr '18 03:44
    That's BS....if you were in a car crash and were hurt while far away from home, or someone threatened your kids on the internet repeatedly the first thing you'd do is call the police.
    The troll uzless fails to comprehend or distorts what I wrote.

In many cases, victims don't report crimes to the police because they
    are afraid of how they willl be treated by the police or justice system.
    Most victims never report their rapes to the police.
  11. Standard memberwolfgang59
    Mr. Wolf
    at home
    Moves
    11 Apr '18 03:47
    The article doesn't say if they had guns (which most wales cops don't). They said they were about to Taser the guy, presumably because they didn't have guns.

So to answer your question, they would have shot him with guns if they had them, and would have shot him with the taser gun if he hadn't attacked them first. I'm not sure what your point is here a ...[text shortened]... US cops that do have guns and don't wait to be attacked before they shoot (as they are trained).
    I wasn't making a point - just putting it out there for discussion.
    But if lets break it down for simplicity:

They would not have had guns. (Which is point ONE)

They tried talking him down. (Point TWO)

They were (in my opinion) very professional and the type of Police I want in my community. (Point THREE)

I've made no comparison to any other cops and have not mentioned US cops.
  12. Zugzwang
    Moves
    11 Apr '18 03:58
    I wasn't making a point - just putting it out there for discussion.
    But if lets break it down for simplicity:

They would not have had guns. (Which is point ONE)

They tried talking him down. (Point TWO)

They were (in my opinion) very professional and the type of Police I want in my community. (Point THREE)

I've made no comparison to any other cops and have not mentioned US cops.
    After an infamous terrorist event (when terrorists took advantage of
    the fact that Chinese police usually did not carry guns), China began
    issuing guns more widely to police in 2014. Interestingly, many
    members of the police believe that they and the public likely would
    be safer with fewer guns in the hands of the police.
  13. Joined
    04 Feb '05
    Moves
    11 Apr '18 06:53
    I will avoid going to the US unless i absolutely have to.
  14. Joined
    04 Feb '05
    Moves
    11 Apr '18 06:55
    Originally posted by @philokalia
    Literally every situation can be different and have variables that make for different outcomes. Sometimes, the Police do a bad job.

Maligning all American police for the bad police among them is like blaming all Muslims for terrorist instances.

But yeah there is probably a culture problem.

For instance, if one subsection of the US population w ...[text shortened]... omeone than another subsection, we would look at that subsection as having room for improvement.
    Nobody's sayng all us police officers are bad. We are saying there are huge problems with the system that need to be addressed