Debates Forum

Debates Forum

1. Standard memberbill718
    Enigma
    Seattle
    Moves
    31 Oct '15 10:103 edits
    The most recent republican debate regarding the moderator's questions set off yet another round of crying and whining from the republican national committee and the candidates, and suspension of a partnership with NBC news. It seems unless these republican candidates are asked carefully prepared, easy to answer questions, they set off another round of howling about the "liberal media". We don't hear any howling from them when the democrats are asked the same types of questions, now do we? Here is an idea: Perhaps we should let only a far right conservative prepare the questions, allow the candidates to approve them, and prepare their answers weeks in advance. Maybe that will make our little republican crybabies happy. Wake up little republicans, life can be unfair, if you want to run this country you'll have to deal with some uncomfortable questions. Put on your big boy pants and deal with it. (Afterward, we'll buy you an ice cream cone!) 😏

https://www.yahoo.com/politics/republicans-suspend-partnership-with-nbc-news-173441770.html
  2. Joined
    02 Jan '06
    Moves
    31 Oct '15 12:21
    Originally posted by bill718
    The most recent republican debate regarding the moderator's questions set off yet another round of crying and whining from the republican national committee and the candidates, and suspension of a partnership with NBC news. It seems unless these republican candidates are asked carefully prepared, easy to answer questions, they set off another round of howlin ...[text shortened]... }

https://www.yahoo.com/politics/republicans-suspend-partnership-with-nbc-news-173441770.html
    The moderators were just plain bad. They were so bad that Trump told one of the moderators she had bad information, to which she said, "Then where did I get that information?" Trump just shrugged his shoulders and said, "I don't write your own stuff for you, how should I know?"

And the way they asked the questions is the exact same way conservatives are treated here. The questions are worded to demean and attack the candidate, as happened with pretty much all of them.

Now where did this happen with the Dims?

No matter, whichever candidate might make it one thing is for certain, the size and scope of government will continue to increase as well as its debts. Not much will really change bill, so no worries. The status quo which you love will remain intact. 😵
  3. Standard memberbill718
    Enigma
    Seattle
    Moves
    31 Oct '15 15:581 edit
    Originally posted by whodey
    The moderators were just plain bad. They were so bad that Trump told one of the moderators she had bad information, to which she said, "Then where did I get that information?" Trump just shrugged his shoulders and said, "I don't write your own stuff for you, how should I know?"

And the way they asked the questions is the exact same way conservatives are ...[text shortened]... h will really change bill, so no worries. The status quo which you love will remain intact. 😵
    Yes, I know the moderators were bad, and their questions were pretty stupid too. The GOP however makes it sound like only they are being targeted by the media. Democrats get asked silly "gotcha" questions by the media just like the GOP does, not just in debates, but on many other occasions. The difference is the democrats know that answering unfair or stupid questions goes with the job. The GOP cries about it like little girls.
  4. Joined
    12 Jul '08
    Moves
    31 Oct '15 17:19
    I don't think anyone was blaming the media, just saying that a Republican debate should not be moderated by part of the DNC's propaganda wing.
  5. SubscriberSuzianne
    Misfit Queen
    Isle of Misfit Toys
    Moves
    31 Oct '15 21:56
    Yes, I know the moderators were bad, and their questions were pretty stupid too. The GOP however makes it sound like only they are being targeted by the media. Democrats get asked silly "gotcha" questions by the media just like the GOP does, not just in debates, but on many other occasions. The difference is the democrats know that answering unfair or stupid questions goes with the job. The GOP cries about it like little girls.
    The Republican whining about the questions strikes me as childish and shows that NONE of them are presidential caliber. Do they expect that once elected, their press conferences will be tea parties? Hillary Clinton endured ten hours of questioning by a group of lawmakers whose agenda, according to House Majority Leader Kevin McCarthy, was to purposefully negatively affect Ms. Clintion's presidential campaign. Instead she emerged looking completely presidential. The Republican candidates have just shown that they're simply not ready for the tough job of being president.
  6. SubscriberSuzianne
    Misfit Queen
    Isle of Misfit Toys
    Moves
    31 Oct '15 21:583 edits
    Originally posted by Eladar
    I don't think anyone was blaming the media, just saying that a Republican debate should not be moderated by part of the DNC's propaganda wing.
    CNBC is "part of the DNC's propaganda wing"? Is Fox News part of the DNC's propaganda wing?

No one complained about Fox News' questions (which were just as tough as the ones during this past debate) during the debate last August.
  7. SubscriberSuzianne
    Misfit Queen
    Isle of Misfit Toys
    Moves
    31 Oct '15 22:01
    Originally posted by whodey
    She was just badly prepared, and she was criticized later for this. She did follow-up later with the source of Trump's quote, but by then, the water was under the bridge.
  8. Joined
    02 Jan '06
    Moves
    01 Nov '15 02:30
    [b]Yes, I know the moderators were bad, and their questions were pretty stupid too. The GOP however makes it sound like only they are being targeted by the media. Democrats get asked silly "gotcha" questions by the media just like the GOP does, not just in debates,
    Hilarious.

I guess maybe they get asked tough questions at home then. 😵
  9. Joined
    02 Jan '06
    Moves
    01 Nov '15 02:31
    Originally posted by Suzianne
    She was just badly prepared, and she was criticized later for this. She did follow-up later with the source of Trump's quote, but by then, the water was under the bridge.
    Yes, that's called incompetence.

And yes, it is water under the bridge.

Tell me something I don't know.
  10. Joined
    02 Jan '06
    Moves
    01 Nov '15 02:321 edit
    Originally posted by Eladar
    I dunno.

I think this was very eye opening for pretty much everyone. Even those that drink the Obama cool aide seem to agree that these moderators were idiots and partisan hacks.

Maybe they should do more of this.
  11. Standard membershavixmir
    Guppy poo
    Sewers of Holland
    Moves
    01 Nov '15 13:08
    There is absolutely no reason, what-so-ever, to treat the Republicans with anything but disdain.

What a collective bunch of moronic rich gits they are.
    Why anyone earning less than 150 grand a year would vote form them is beyond comprehension.
  12. Standard memberKellyJay
    Walk your Faith
    USA
    Moves
    01 Nov '15 13:13
    Originally posted by shavixmir
    There is absolutely no reason, what-so-ever, to treat the Republicans with anything but disdain.

What a collective bunch of moronic rich gits they are.
    Why anyone earning less than 150 grand a year would vote form them is beyond comprehension.
    Which would be fine and dandy if the Democrats were treated the same way, for the
    exact same reasons.
  13. Standard membershavixmir
    Guppy poo
    Sewers of Holland
    Moves
    01 Nov '15 13:16
    Originally posted by KellyJay
    Which would be fine and dandy if the Democrats were treated the same way, for the
    exact same reasons.
    Okay.. Let's have some examples of questions put to the democrats being so much lighter than the questions put to the republicants.
  14. Standard membersh76
    Civis Americanus Sum
    New York
    Moves
    01 Nov '15 15:551 edit
    === Democrats get asked silly "gotcha" questions by the media just like the GOP does, not just in debates, but on many other occasions.===

Complaining about the media can be overdone, but in this case, the Republican are absolutely correct. The moderators' questions were often mean spirited and often were not questions but attacks. "Is this a comic book campaign?" and "Do you not like your job?" and the like are absurd questions to ask. You did not see the same thing in the Democratic debate (or, for that matter, in the earlier Republican debate). The moderators were hideous and deserve to be attacked and ridiculed (though I did think the candidates themselves did a pretty good job at that during the debate). I don't think any objective person would disagree with that.

Not only did the moderators do a bad job, they played right into the hands of the candidates and left themselves open to "attack the media" any time a candidate didn't feel like answering a question.

I think that if you thought these questions were just "politics as usual," you're lost. The moderators were trying too hard to make the debate about them and trying to force the candidates to debate them and not each other. It was a disgraceful performance by CNBC and the network should apologize to everyone who watched the debate, whether Republican or Democrat.
  15. Standard membersh76
    Civis Americanus Sum
    New York
    Moves
    01 Nov '15 15:58
    Originally posted by shavixmir
    Okay.. Let's have some examples of questions put to the democrats being so much lighter than the questions put to the republicants.
    the CNBC moderators were panned across the political spectrum and by the rest of the media as well.

http://nypost.com/2015/10/31/theres-no-debate-the-cnbc-moderators-were-unfair/

http://www.cnn.com/2015/10/29/opinions/graham-gop-debate/index.html

http://www.usnews.com/opinion/blogs/opinion-blog/2015/10/29/cnbc-moderators-ruined-the-gop-debate

http://www.theblaze.com/stories/2015/10/30/everyone-feels-pretty-embarrassed-cnbc-moderators-long-flight-back-to-new-york/

http://columbustelegram.com/news/opinion/columnists/reagan-cnbc-moderators-biggest-losers-in-debate/article_4162df5c-f41a-51d5-94f2-0355913433fc.html

http://dailycaller.com/2015/10/30/brokaw-blasts-cnbc-moderators-they-should-be-seen-but-not-heard-video/

I haven't read anyone who thinks they did a good job.