Please turn on javascript in your browser to play chess.
Debates Forum

Debates Forum

1. Standard member sh76
    Civis Americanus Sum
    10 Jun '10 14:53
    A few months ago, the chances of a historical midterm for the Republicans was looking good. To make it a historical election, the GOP would have to gain 10 seats in the senate to wrest control from the Dems. Anything less than that and you have just another midterm.

Since then, the GOP has:

- Nominated intellectual lightweight Carly Fiorina in CAL, which means that Boxer gets a bye when she could have faced a serious challenge

- Nominated wingnut Sharron Angle in Nevada, giving Dirty harry a new lease on life

- Nominated Rand Paul in KY, who had a "macaca" moment when he froze in response to the Rachel Maddow softball about segregated lunch counters. In a race that the Dems should have no business competing in this year, even this race could be competitive

- Failed to recruit Tommy Thompson in Wisconsin, giving Feingold a bye, when Thompson probably would have beaten him

- Failed to recruit George Pataki in NY to go after Hillary's old seat, now in the unsteady hands of Kristen Gillinbrand

- Had incumbent dead duck Chris Dodd drop out, installing a much stronger candidate in his place (this was bad luck, not the GOP's fault).

- Had incumbent Arlen Specter primaried when he probably would have been easy meat for Toomey (again, bad luck)

It's amazing that nobody seems to be noticing. Everyone seems to be moseying along, assuming a big GOP year this November. But, whereas my projected range was, a few months ago, GOP +7 to GOP +10; I have to revise that downward right now to GOP +3 to GOP +6

Plus, Obama does seem to be getting stronger now that the healthcare bill is out of the news cycle. This might be a very disappointing November for Republicans.
  2. 10 Jun '10 15:21 / 1 edit
    Originally posted by sh76
    A few months ago, the chances of a historical midterm for the Republicans was looking good. To make it a historical election, the GOP would have to gain 10 seats in the senate to wrest control from the Dems. Anything less than that and you have just another midterm.

Since then, the GOP has:

- Nominated intellectual lightweight Carly Fiorina in CAL, which bill is out of the news cycle. This might be a very disappointing November for Republicans.
    Are you raging against "the machine" again sh76?
  3. Standard member sh76
    Civis Americanus Sum
    10 Jun '10 16:12
    Originally posted by whodey
    Are you raging against "the machine" again sh76?
    Yeah; it's kinda fun, isn't it?
  4. 10 Jun '10 17:40 / 1 edit
    Originally posted by sh76
    Yeah; it's kinda fun, isn't it?
    Sure, its about all we have, but if you are looking toward the GOP as a "savior" then I'm afraid you are wasting your time.
  5. 10 Jun '10 18:04
    Sure, its about all we have, but if you are looking toward the GOP as a "savior" then I'm afraid you are wasting your time.
    douche and turd situation as usual?
  6. 10 Jun '10 18:38 / 1 edit
    Originally posted by generalissimo
    douche and turd situation as usual?
    I view the GOP as a speed bump towards statism.
  7. 10 Jun '10 18:42
    I view the GOP as a speed bump towards statism.
    I don't see why you could reach such conclusion, but nevertheless, if you were to choose between the democrats and the gop it would better to choose the less statist no?
  8. 10 Jun '10 18:50
    Originally posted by generalissimo
    I don't see why you could reach such conclusion, but nevertheless, if you were to choose between the democrats and the gop it would better to choose the less statist no?
    After "W" I'm not sure which is worse.
  9. 11 Jun '10 16:16
    After "W" I'm not sure which is worse.
    I thought you'd be more enthusiastic given the rise of the likes of sarah palin.
  10. 11 Jun '10 19:27
    "Had incumbent dead duck Chris Dodd drop out, installing a much stronger candidate in his place (this was bad luck, not the GOP's fault)"

Maybe you didn't see that the leading Dem. in the race lied about his millitary service during the Vietnam war. Telling some one, "You would have it easier being a Major in Iraq than I did in Vietnam because I was an enlisted man." The man never served anytime in the military.
  11. 11 Jun '10 21:36 / 2 edits
    Originally posted by Sabin010
    "Had incumbent dead duck Chris Dodd drop out, installing a much stronger candidate in his place (this was bad luck, not the GOP's fault)"

Maybe you didn't see that the leading Dem. in the race lied about his millitary service during the Vietnam war. Telling some one, "You would have it easier being a Major in Iraq than I did in Vietnam because I was an enlisted man." The man never served anytime in the military.
    http://www.realclearpolitics.com/epolls/2010/senate/ct/connecticut_senate_mcmahon_vs_blumenthal-1145.html

Nevertheless, Richard Blumenthal, faux Vietnam service and all, still leads Linda McMahon, the likely GOP candidate by about 20 points.

In a choice between fake military service and fake wrestling, the voters of Connecticut apparently find the latter option to be worse. Perhaps the numbers would be different if it was in Minnesota.