Please turn on javascript in your browser to play chess.
Debates Forum

Debates Forum

1. Standard member sh76
    Civis Americanus Sum
    08 Sep '11 00:45
    It's not over yet, but so far:

- I'm very impressed by Huntsman. I hope he can rally

- The Perry-Romney scuffle was entertaining; seemed like they each know that the other is his main competition. I'd say no major blood was drawn in their exchange, but they both got in a cute line or two.

- Gingrich is there for fun. He doesn't really want this job.

- Whopper of the day: Bachmann said that Obamacare has taken over 1/6 of the economy. What??? Obamacare hasn't even taken effect yet, by and large. I think she's confusing Obamacare with our healthcare system as it existed before Obama took office. Yikes! A lie like that takes gall.

- Santorum is a lightweight.

- There's some Congressman from Texas there with two first names, but I only watch the mainstream media and I've never heard of him.
  2. 08 Sep '11 00:58
    So this is like the third one, right? How many more before Iowa?
  3. 08 Sep '11 01:01 / 1 edit
    TPM liveblogging. Sounds like the debate does have some entertainment points.

GOP Debate Live-Blogging Pt. 2

8:23 PM: Okay, that made the night worthwhile. Gov. Perry said Texas has more uninsured than any other state because the federal government isn't letting us cover everybody. That's awesome.

8:37 PM: It is funny to think how many times over the last 50 years we've come back to presidential counterpoints between Massachusetts and Texas.

8:38 PM: Ron Paul: You cut me off before I got a chance to explain my ridiculous hypothetical!!! ... Ron Paul: I supported Ronald Reagan forever. I just attacked him after he stopped being Reagan. Or Something.

8:48 PM: Rick Perry: Social Security is a "monstrous lie" and a "Ponzi scheme."

8:49 PM: Romney: We need a nominee who doesn't want to "abolish" Social Security but wants to save it ... Not sure Perry's doing himself any favors in this back and forth with Romney over Social Security. I think that was likely Romney's most solid punch.

8:54 PM: The Gardisil debate obviously has a lot of different dimensions to it. But let's just be honest and grant that most of the folks up on the stage are making it like Gardisil is a shot that makes teenage girls into street walking floozies as opposed to preventing women from getting cervical cancer. Not the language of "innocent" 12 year old girls. Does anyone worry about "innocent" 12 year olds getting tetanus shots.

— Josh Marshall

09.07.2011 — 08:02 PM
    GOP Debate Live-Blogging

8:04 PM: Okay, not the most substantive first comment. But let's face it, Romney looks very orange.

8:06 PM: Romney and Perry mutually agree to withdraw from race in exchange for Dukakis and Bush.

8:11 PM: I think Rick Santorum just pitched himself as a bipartisan consensus builder?

8:11 PM: Our newly-minted campaign 2012 reporters Evan McMorris-Santoro and Benjy Sarlin are providing play-by-play updates at TPMLivewire.

8:14 PM: Romney campaign just sent out a lengthy email taking apart Perry's Texas jobs record.

8:16 PM: Okay, good to see that as folksy as he is, Ron Paul is still a completely nutball ideologue, just announcing that the government shouldn't be involved in air traffic control.

8:20 PM: Ahhhhh, sort of an awkward moment for John Harris. Can you comment on the video that just didn't run? Thank you.

8:21 PM: Just such a tough needle to thread: Obamacare was a disaster. I'll get rid of it on day one. And this is why the idea worked well in Massachusetts.

8:58 PM: Romney reaching out to ordinary Americans: Look, we'd all like more birdies than mulligans in this country.

9:01 PM: I think Ron Paul just said that 9/11 was caused by excessive government regulation.
  4. Standard member sh76
    Civis Americanus Sum
    08 Sep '11 01:03
    Originally posted by Kunsoo
    TPM liveblogging. Sounds like the debate does have some entertainment points.

GOP Debate Live-Blogging Pt. 2

8:23 PM: Okay, that made the night worthwhile. Gov. Perry said Texas has more uninsured than any other state because the federal government isn't letting us cover everybody. That's awesome.

8:37 PM: It is funny to think how many times over ...[text shortened]... d of it on day one. And this is why the idea worked well in Massachusetts.
    I'm gonna hazard a guess:

Whomever TPM is, he/she/it is not a Republican.

Correct?
  5. 08 Sep '11 01:05
    Originally posted by sh76
    I'm gonna hazard a guess:

Whomever TPM is, he/she/it is not a Republican.

Correct?
    Josh Marshal of Talking Points Memo. No, definitely not a Republican.
  6. 08 Sep '11 01:05 / 1 edit
    - There's some Congressman from Texas there with two first names, but I only watch the mainstream media and I've never heard of him.[/b]
    I can't believe you even had the gull to make reference to him.

I'm going to write him in by the way. I think I'll right in, that guy from Texas other than Perry.
  7. 08 Sep '11 01:07
    But hey, at least Perry hates cancer! LOL
  8. 08 Sep '11 01:09
    TPM is a little more entertaining than Kos' liveblogging.

6:03 PM PT: Now Newt Gingrich says it's a bad idea to let terrorists have nuclear weapons, especially within the United States, because lots of people would die if a bomb went off. Okay, fair point. Ron Paul says we should get rid of the TSA because airlines would do a better job of security if they did it themselves. But, uh, weren't airlines responsible for funding and designing the previous airport screening system, you know, the one that failed on 9/11?

6:03 PM PT: I never thought I'd say this, but I wish this debate was on Fox. The questions tonight are for the most part drop-dead boring. I figure if we're going to watch a bunch of clowns, we might as well do it at the circus.

6:07 PM PT: I'm going to say this again: John Boehner made President Obama delay his jobs speech for THIS?

6:09 PM PT: Rick Perry defends underfunding schools because, I guess, the easiest way to create low-wage jobs is if you have an unskilled workforce, and that's Texas' bread-and-butter.
  9. 08 Sep '11 01:11
    Also from Kos

5:54 PM PT: Harris now asks Romney about Perry's Social Security platform, accusing Perry of being committed to "abolishing Social Security" and saying that he wants to save it. Romney skewers Perry for saying Social Security is a "failure." Perry defends himself by saying the status quo is not sustainable and that it is a Ponzi scheme. But he doesn't say what he wants to do about replacing it, if anything. Herman Cain says we should do what Chile did, which is to eliminate the system by privatizing it.

5:57 PM PT: This is kind of exciting, in that we have the first real policy difference of the evening: Perry saying SS is doomed and must be transitioned away from, Romney saying it's basically a good program that just needs tweaking. Naturally, Harris changes the discussion to Perry's HPV vaccination policy, asking Ron Paul whether Perry's mandatory HPV testing plan shows that Perry isn't actually a real conservative. Paul speaks with some passion about being against the mandatory HPV vaccine. Harris then asks Bachmann about it. HPV vaccination is really a huge and pressing issue so I can understand why we'd want to talk about HPV instead of Social Security.
  10. 08 Sep '11 01:12
    Well, Perry just called Obama an "abject liar." Just as classy this time as at the SOTUS.
  11. 08 Sep '11 01:14
    9:12 PM: Email just sent out by Romney campaign: "PERRY DOES NOT BELIEVE SOCIAL SECURITY SHOULD EXIST"
  12. Subscriber Sleepyguy
    Reepy Rastardly Guy
    08 Sep '11 02:04
    Originally posted by Kunsoo
    Well, Perry just called Obama an "abject liar." Just as classy this time as at the SOTUS.
    Obama IS an abject liar.
  13. 08 Sep '11 03:22
    It's not over yet, but so far:

- I'm very impressed by Huntsman. I hope he can rally

- The Perry-Romney scuffle was entertaining; seemed like they each know that the other is his main competition. I'd say no major blood was drawn in their exchange, but they both got in a cute line or two.

- Gingrich is there for fun. He doesn't really want this job.
    ...[text shortened]... with two first names, but I only watch the mainstream media and I've never heard of him.
    They are all a bunch of losers. Plain and simple.
  14. 08 Sep '11 04:03
    Fair point. Perry is a brazen liar.
  15. 08 Sep '11 04:42 / 2 edits
    Josh Marshall gives the "strategic win" to Romney.

http://talkingpointsmemo.com/archives/2011/09/so_whats_the_gist_on_tonight.php?ref=fpblg

Some additional highlights:

9:25 PM: I think Michele Bachmann just said that Ronald Reagan wouldn't allow any mix of tax increases with spending cuts because the actual Ronald Reagan made a 3:1 deal. In other words, because Ronald Reagan did do it, "Ronald Reagan" would not do it.

9:31 PM: Key moment. Romney defends Social Security against Perry's attacks.

9:35 PM: Jon Huntsman defending science on stage at GOP event and the crowd goes silent like a candidate were forced to explain a NAMBLA membership.

9:42 PM: Another great growing conservative meme: lack of patriotism of poor and lower middle class that isn't paying income tax.

And according to Marshal, the Reagan Library crowd "went wild" over Perry's 234 executions. Video through the link.

http://2012.talkingpointsmemo.com/2011/09/reagan-library-crowd-goes-wild-for-perrys-234-executions-video.php?ref=fpb