Please turn on javascript in your browser to play chess.
Debates Forum

Debates Forum

1. Standard member sh76
    Civis Americanus Sum
    22 May '11 11:44
    http://www.reuters.com/article/2011/05/22/us-usa-campaign-daniels-idUSTRE74L0F520110522

Oh well...

I guess it makes sense.

Why would any sane person want to get involved in that process unless he simply has an insatiable appetite for fame and power?
  2. Subscriber no1marauder
    It's Nice to Be Nice
    22 May '11 12:28
    Originally posted by sh76
    http://www.reuters.com/article/2011/05/22/us-usa-campaign-daniels-idUSTRE74L0F520110522

Oh well...

I guess it makes sense.

Why would any sane person want to get involved in that process unless he simply has an insatiable appetite for fame and power?
    It's possible that he thought Obama was going to be too difficult to beat (an incumbent who didn't face a major primary challenge from within his own party hasn't lost since Hoover).

He also had some personal baggage that I regard as irrelevant but in the climate that now exists would result in his being dragged through the mud: a youthful drug arrest and his divorce and then remarriage to his present wife (you can be sure the tabloids would have had a field day with that one).

Probably both weighed in his decision.
  3. Subscriber Sleepyguy
    Reepy Rastardly Guy
    22 May '11 15:45
    I am sad. Paul Ryan for the win? Buehler?
  4. 22 May '11 16:04
    Originally posted by Sleepyguy
    I am sad. Paul Ryan for the win? Buehler?
    President Obama for the win in '12.

Bets anyone?
  5. Subscriber Sleepyguy
    Reepy Rastardly Guy
    22 May '11 16:23
    Originally posted by USArmyParatrooper
    President Obama for the win in '12.

Bets anyone?
    I fear you're right, but I wouldn't bet until I at least knew who the GOP was going to run against him.

I saw Cain on Fox News Sunday today and wasn't impressed. He's not ready for prime time. Mitch McConnell was on too with some interesting comments. According to him Ryan's plan will be largely moot soon because entitlement reform is going to be in the deal on the debt ceiling.
  6. 22 May '11 19:19
    I guess he has an old drug bust to talk away and a divorce and re-marriage that might confuse people.

The bigger issue is that basically you get one shot with a nimination, if you lose you don't get a second chance. Better for a political whore to wait until 2016 when there is a better opportunity.

Face it - Obama is the Commander in Chief through 2016.
  7. Subscriber AThousandYoung
    Poor Filipov :,(
    22 May '11 20:33
    Here are some prominant Latin American Republicans:

http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/content/article/2010/10/21/AR2010102106845.html
  8. Standard member bill718
    Enigma
    22 May '11 23:25

Oh well...

I guess it makes sense.

Look on the bright side. You've always got old Newt!!
  9. Standard member Soothfast
    22 May '11 23:38
    Originally posted by bill718
    Look on the bright side. You've always got old Newt!!
    So, so far a water cooler in a Masonic lodge in Springfield is the top GOP contender...
  10. 23 May '11 00:19 / 3 edits

Oh well...

I guess it makes sense.

Maybe the GOP will just fold and go away. If they do, not much will change. Most concervatives I talk to don't care much for the party nor does much of anyone else. After all, if your gonna support statists why not be proad and vote Dem? My guess is the GOP will have a Romney/Newt ticket, the two most worthless candidates out there.

Personally, I think that the GOP wants Obama to win a second term so that he can do for the Dems what "W"'s second term did for the GOP.
  11. 23 May '11 01:09
    Originally posted by Sleepyguy
    I fear you're right, but I wouldn't bet until I at least knew who the GOP was going to run against him.

I saw Cain on Fox News Sunday today and wasn't impressed. He's not ready for prime time. Mitch McConnell was on too with some interesting comments. According to him Ryan's plan will be largely moot soon because entitlement reform is going to be in the deal on the debt ceiling.
    Entitlement "reform" makes it moot?

Dude, Ryan's plan was to literally do away with Medicare and replace it with a voucher system. One with a 25% premium co-pay (to start), which increases every year since the voucher payments don't keep up with he rising cost of healthcare.

Saying it is "moot" was a political posture to neither criticize Ryan's plan (angering his base) nor to support his plan (angering everyone else).
  12. 23 May '11 01:10
    Originally posted by whodey
    Maybe the GOP will just fold and go away. If they do, not much will change. Most concervatives I talk to don't care much for the party nor does much of anyone else. After all, if your gonna support statists why not be proad and vote Dem? My guess is the GOP will have a Romney/Newt ticket, the two most worthless candidates out there.

Personally, I think ...[text shortened]... to win a second term so that he can do for the Dems what "W"'s second term did for the GOP.
    If Obama wins they're screwed in '16.
  13. Subscriber Sleepyguy
    Reepy Rastardly Guy
    23 May '11 02:05
    Originally posted by USArmyParatrooper
    Entitlement "reform" makes it moot?

Dude, Ryan's plan was to literally do away with Medicare and replace it with a voucher system. One with a 25% premium co-pay (to start), which increases every year since the voucher payments don't keep up with he rising cost of healthcare.

Saying it is "moot" was a political posture to neither criticize Ryan's plan (angering his base) nor to support his plan (angering everyone else).
    I just meant moot in terms of a 2012 election issue.
  14. Standard member wittywonka
    Chocolate Expert
    23 May '11 03:02
    If Jon Huntsman could eek out a primary win, I for one think he could pose a serious challenge to Obama at the least.

But that's a big "if".
  15. Subscriber Sleepyguy
    Reepy Rastardly Guy
    23 May '11 03:25
    Originally posted by wittywonka
    If Jon Huntsman could eek out a primary win, I for one think he could pose a serious challenge to Obama at the least.

But that's a big "if".
    That's not happening.