Please turn on javascript in your browser to play chess.
Debates Forum

Debates Forum

  1. Standard member sh76
    Civis Americanus Sum
    31 Aug '10 14:22
    http://www.gallup.com/poll/142718/GOP-Unprecedented-Lead-Generic-Ballot.aspx

    Outlier, perhaps. But this cycle is getting very ugly for the Dems at a really really bad time. I'm sure Nancy Pelosi would sell her soul for a couple of good economic reports right now... that is, if she still had one.
  2. 31 Aug '10 14:33
    http://www.fivethirtyeight.com

    Seems to agree with you, 7 seats that have a better than 50% chance of being taken over by the GOP.
  3. Subscriber FMF
    a.k.a. John W Booth
    31 Aug '10 14:42
    RHP Debates should be interesting if the GOP do hugely well. RHP Debates should be interesting if the GOP don't do as hugely well as people say. RHP Debates should be interesting if the Dems don't do as badly as people say.
  4. 31 Aug '10 15:06
    Originally posted by sh76
    But this cycle is getting very ugly for the Dems at a really really bad time.
    A week is a long time in politics. Two months is an eternity.
  5. Subscriber no1marauder
    It's Nice to Be Nice
    31 Aug '10 15:18
    Originally posted by Teinosuke
    A week is a long time in politics. Two months is an eternity.
    The economy and unemployment remain by far the two largest issues in the voters' minds. http://www.gallup.com/poll/142022/Economy-Remains-Top-Concern-Midterm-Elections-Draw-Nearer.aspx

    Two months isn't going to change the fact that Obama committed himself to only half hearted measures on the economy and seemed willing to accept a long period of high unemployment. The voters hold the party in power responsible for the economy; it really doesn't matter that the Republicans don't have any ideas at all likely to reduce unemployment - the Democrats have failed to address the voters' main concerns and will probably pay for it in November.
  6. Standard member abejnood
    Independant Thinker
    31 Aug '10 15:45
    Originally posted by no1marauder
    The economy and unemployment remain by far the two largest issues in the voters' minds. http://www.gallup.com/poll/142022/Economy-Remains-Top-Concern-Midterm-Elections-Draw-Nearer.aspx

    Two months isn't going to change the fact that Obama committed himself to only half hearted measures on the economy and seemed willing to accept a long per ...[text shortened]... have failed to address the voters' main concerns and will probably pay for it in November.
    To be fair, effort alone won't sway or relaunch an economy...The main problem here in the States is a lack of a young and educated science-and-technology based generation ready to adapt to the changes that have been taking place. I would also guess that the Vols recent terrible football has similarly demotivated the people of Tennessee into studying and hard work...luckily in California, our football team's "roll call" (Oh-Seven! Oh-Eight!...) used to mirror their record, so they've been studying for years now.
  7. 31 Aug '10 15:47
    Originally posted by no1marauder
    The economy and unemployment remain by far the two largest issues in the voters' minds. http://www.gallup.com/poll/142022/Economy-Remains-Top-Concern-Midterm-Elections-Draw-Nearer.aspx

    Two months isn't going to change the fact that Obama committed himself to only half hearted measures on the economy and seemed willing to accept a long per ...[text shortened]... have failed to address the voters' main concerns and will probably pay for it in November.
    Obama didn't "settle." The Republicans do everything humanly possible block everying, including their own ideas when the Democrats adopt them.
  8. Standard member sh76
    Civis Americanus Sum
    31 Aug '10 16:08
    Originally posted by USArmyParatrooper
    Obama didn't "settle." The Republicans do everything humanly possible block everying, including their own ideas when the Democrats adopt them.
    So, is that it? Are we now forever condemned to a system wherein the minority party always resorts to obstructionism in order to win back power?

    Or, is this a reason that perhaps a mixed government, wherein both sides have something to gain and something to lose, is the most efficient?
  9. Subscriber no1marauder
    It's Nice to Be Nice
    31 Aug '10 16:17
    Originally posted by USArmyParatrooper
    Obama didn't "settle." The Republicans do everything humanly possible block everying, including their own ideas when the Democrats adopt them.
    Nobel Prize winning economist Joseph Stiglitz in his excellent book Freefall has a chapter dissecting the fundamental errors in Obama's stimulus program. The bottom line was that it wasn't big enough, wasn't aimed at increasing investment enough and was too slow (as well as having other problems). You can't blame Republicans for the contents of Obama's own plan and the Democrats had sufficient majorities to pass virtually any economic program they pleased in 2009.
  10. Subscriber no1marauder
    It's Nice to Be Nice
    31 Aug '10 16:18
    Originally posted by sh76
    So, is that it? Are we now forever condemned to a system wherein the minority party always resorts to obstructionism in order to win back power?

    Or, is this a reason that perhaps a mixed government, wherein both sides have something to gain and something to lose, is the most efficient?
    You think the government has been "efficient" the last two years?
  11. Standard member sh76
    Civis Americanus Sum
    31 Aug '10 16:20
    Originally posted by no1marauder
    You think the government has been "efficient" the last two years?
    Absolutely not. That's exactly my point. When you have a single party controlling Congress and the Presidency, the minority party tends to turn to obstructionism and you don't get much done. When you have mixed government (Reagan/O'Neill, Clinton/Gingrich) more tends to get done.
  12. Subscriber no1marauder
    It's Nice to Be Nice
    31 Aug '10 16:22
    Originally posted by sh76
    Absolutely not. That's exactly my point. When you have a single party controlling Congress and the Presidency, the minority party tends to turn to obstructionism and you don't get much done. When you have mixed government (Reagan/O'Neill, Clinton/Gingrich) more tends to get done.
    What got done with Bush/Pelosi from 2004-08?
  13. 31 Aug '10 16:26
    Originally posted by FMF
    RHP Debates should be interesting if the GOP do hugely well. RHP Debates should be interesting if the GOP don't do as hugely well as people say. RHP Debates should be interesting if the Dems don't do as badly as people say.
    don't count on it. just look at the General Forum.
  14. Subscriber FMF
    a.k.a. John W Booth
    31 Aug '10 16:27
    Originally posted by zeeblebot
    just look at the General Forum.
    I tend not to. Why?
  15. 31 Aug '10 16:28
    Originally posted by sh76
    Absolutely not. That's exactly my point. When you have a single party controlling Congress and the Presidency, the minority party tends to turn to obstructionism and you don't get much done. When you have mixed government (Reagan/O'Neill, Clinton/Gingrich) more tends to get done.
    i'm not getting it. i thought the majority party was filibuster-proof at the moment, and they've conveniently forgotten all the bleating they did about power-sharing when they were the minority party.