Please turn on javascript in your browser to play chess.
Debates Forum

Debates Forum

1. Standard member sasquatch672
    Don't Like It Leave
    04 Nov '12 05:07
    Since we're getting into quotes now, I thought I'd share a few I found.

"Pot helped, so did booze; maybe a little blow when you can afford it." (Sorry for the double post; I thought it was worth repeating, when you consider that Obama's drug use would likely have disqualified him from serving in the military he now leads.)

"To avoid being mistaken for a sellout, I chose my friends carefully. The more politically active black students. The foreign students. The Chicanos. The Marxist professors and structural feminists and punk-rock performance poets. We smoked cigarettes and wore leather jackets. At night, in the dorms, we discussed neocolonialism, Franz Fanon, Eurocentrism, and patriarchy. When we ground out our cigarettes in the hallway carpet or set our stereos so loud that the walls began to shake, we were resisting bourgeois society's stifling conventions. We weren't indifferent or careless or insecure. We were alienated.
    But this strategy alone couldn't provide the distance I wanted, from Joyce or my past. After all, there were thousands of so-called campus radicals, most of them white and tenured and happily tolerant. No, it remained necessary to prove which side you were on, to show your loyalty to the black masses, to strike out and name names."

"Junkie. Pothead. That's where I'd been headed: the final, fatal role of the young would-be black man. Except the highs hadn't been about that, me trying to prove what a down brother I was."

"If Latinos sit out the election instead of saying, ‘We’re gonna punish our enemies and we’re gonna reward our friends who stand with us on issues that are important to us,’ if they don’t see that kind of upsurge in voting in this election, then I think it’s gonna be harder and that’s why I think it’s so important that people focus on voting on November 2."

"That's just how white folks will do you. It wasn't merely the cruelty involved; I was learning that black people could be mean and then some. It was a particular brand of arrogance, an obtuseness in otherwise sane people that brought forth our bitter laughter. It was as if whites didn't know that they were being cruel in the first place. Or at least thought you deserving of their scorn."

"It is this world, a world where cruise ships throw away more food in a day than most residents of Port-au-Prince see in a year, where white folks' greed runs a world in need, apartheid in one hemisphere, apathy in another hemisphere...That's the world! On which hope sits!" (Originally said by Rev. Jerremiah Wright, repeated by Barack Hussein Obama)

"I can no more disown (Jeremiah Wright) than I can disown the black community."

"I will stand with the Muslims if the political winds shift in an ugly direction."
  2. 04 Nov '12 08:41
    An impressive score, one of the quotes is not made up but merely taken out of context.

Why do you keep resorting to blatant lies, misinformation and mischaracterizations to attack a weak President like Obama?
  3. Standard member sasquatch672
    Don't Like It Leave
    04 Nov '12 15:58
    Originally posted by KazetNagorra
    An impressive score, one of the quotes is not made up but merely taken out of context.

Why do you keep resorting to blatant lies, misinformation and mischaracterizations to attack a weak President like Obama?
    Those are, uh, direct quotes, my man. From The Anointed One. I left out the ones whose context was in question.
  4. 04 Nov '12 16:10
    Originally posted by sasquatch672
    Those are, uh, direct quotes, my man. From The Anointed One. I left out the ones whose context was in question.
    Where did you find the "direct quotes"? I looked for them on Wikiquote and just found the single one taken out of context.