Debates Forum

1. SubscriberProper Knob
    Cornovii
    North of the Tamar
    Moves
    16 Jun '17 17:38
    Originally posted by FreakyKBH
    I'm all atwitter...
    If you're able to tell how WTC7 fell, you're one step ahead of the US government: they offered nothing.
    Come on, turn your brain on. What happened to WTC7 and not Grenfell Tower?
  2. Standard memberfinnegan
    GENS UNA SUMUS
    To the Left
    Moves
    16 Jun '17 22:041 edit
    The difference was effective government imposed building regulations actually. I know that's not the answer you wanted.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/2017/06/14/grenfell-tower-would-have-collapsed-built-four-years-earlier/

Dr Knapton, who advised insurers Lloyds of London in the wake of the Twin Towers terrorist attack, said: "I don’t think this building will collapse because in 1968, a block of flats at Ronan Point in East London partly collapsed as a result of a gas explosion in a kitchen.

"As a result of that, the design of tower blocks in the UK changed from about 1971 onwards. From then on, the design had to allow for an explosion or a fire to remove part of the supporting structure and for the building to remain standing. "

"The Twin Towers collapsed because the aircraft fuel ignited the contents of the building and it was the burning of the contents of the building which caused the steel columns to lose stiffness. UK buildings are much more robust, or tolerant of losing structural capacity than the Twin Towers."
  3. Standard memberfinnegan
    GENS UNA SUMUS
    To the Left
    Moves
    16 Jun '17 23:071 edit
  4. Subscribersonhouse
    Fast and Curious
    slatington, pa, usa
    Moves
    16 Jun '17 23:14
    Originally posted by finnegan
    The difference was effective government imposed building regulations actually. I know that's not the answer you wanted.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/2017/06/14/grenfell-tower-would-have-collapsed-built-four-years-earlier/

Dr Knapton, who advised insurers Lloyds of London in the wake of the Twin Towers terrorist attack, said: "I don’t think this b ...[text shortened]... buildings are much more robust, or tolerant of losing structural capacity than the Twin Towers."
    To be followed by the indignant posts of the nutter conspiracy crowd, "It was an inside government job' with what do they call them, squigs or some such, explosives designed to weaken the structure so it falls?

They will be pushing that bullshyte longer than the Kennedy assassination.
  5. Unknown Territories
    Moves
    16 Jun '17 23:38

Dr Knapton, who advised insurers Lloyds of London in the wake of the Twin Towers terrorist attack, said: "I don’t think this b ...[text shortened]... buildings are much more robust, or tolerant of losing structural capacity than the Twin Towers."
    Thank you for your inaccurately informed opinion on WTC1 and WTC2.

What about your opinion on WTC7?
    You know: the one with superficial cosmetic damage, random insignificant office fires but fell seven hours after the Twin Towers were felled in respective demolitions?
  6. Standard memberfinnegan
    GENS UNA SUMUS
    To the Left
    Moves
    16 Jun '17 23:48
    Thank you for your inaccurately informed opinion on WTC1 and WTC2.

What about your opinion on WTC7?
    You know: the one with superficial cosmetic damage, random insignificant office fires but fell seven hours after the Twin Towers were felled in respective demolitions?
  7. Unknown Territories
    Moves
    17 Jun '17 00:16
    The difference was effective government imposed building regulations actually. [b]I know that's not the answer you wanted. [/b]
    Because it's not an answer.
    You have two things going on here.
    On one hand, you're saying the construction of one was superior to the other.
    On the other hand, you've said the direct cause of the failure of the structure which WTC1 and WTC2 consisted of was impact repercussions from two separate airplanes.

What you did not provide an answer for, however, was the cause of the freefall collapse of WTC7.

Now, of course you can continue to pretend you have answered it, but it is pretty evident you wish to avoid providing an answer simply because you understand that answer opens up far too many inconvenient questions which would naturally follow.

So, I guess this is "Sweet Dreams, finny!"
  8. Subscribersonhouse
    Fast and Curious
    slatington, pa, usa
    Moves
    17 Jun '17 04:02
    Because it's not an answer.
    You have two things going on here.
    On one hand, you're saying the construction of one was superior to the other.
    On the other hand, you've said the direct cause of the failure of the structure which WTC1 and WTC2 consisted of was impact repercussions from two separate airplanes.

What you did not provide an answer for, howe ...[text shortened]... convenient questions which would naturally follow.

So, I guess this is "Sweet Dreams, finny!"
    You don't read very well either, because he SAID they failed because the planes were loaded with fuel and THAT burning caused the melting and softening of the steel frames and that was all it took, not some bullshyte government agency putting in thousands of squids, and all you can do is parrot other's conspiracy, only a sour voice among many similar sour voices or mis-reason.
  9. Zugzwang
    Moves
    17 Jun '17 20:162 edits
    Originally posted by Duchess64
    “This is the richest borough in our country treating its citizens in this way.
    We should call it what it is, it’s corporate manslaughter, that’s what it is
    and there should be arrests made, frankly.”
    --David Lammy (Labour MP)

https://www.theguardian.com/uk-news/commentisf ce again arrested for locking
    the door in his factory during working hours. He was fined $20."
    https://www.theguardian.com/commentisfree/2017/jun/16/theresa-may-scared-grenfell-survivors-finished-austerity-cameron-osborne

"Theresa May was too scared to meet the Grenfell survivors. She’s finished."

"That tomb in the sky will be forever Theresa May’s monument. Grenfell marks the spot
    and her visit marks the moment the last vestiges of her career were finally rubbed out.
    She made it her own yesterday by that fateful “visit” to a handful of senior fire officers,
    guarding her from any contaminating contact with the bereaved and newly homeless.
    Dead to emotion or empathy, she sealed her fate."

"George W Bush was similarly exposed by his clueless reaction to Hurricane Katrina,
    leaving the poor vulnerable to the state’s refusal to invest in flood defences."

"No doubt Grenfell residents would have shouted at the prime minister – but after her hermetically sealed
    election campaign, this confirms that a leader who dare never meet her people is truly done for."

As far as I can tell, the Grenfell Tower's victims were poor and overwhelmingly non-white.
    They were not people expected to vote Conservative or about whom Theresa May cares.
  10. Standard memberfinnegan
    GENS UNA SUMUS
    To the Left
    Moves
    18 Jun '17 01:17
    Originally posted by Duchess64
    https://www.theguardian.com/commentisfree/2017/jun/16/theresa-may-scared-grenfell-survivors-finished-austerity-cameron-osborne

"Theresa May was too scared to meet the Grenfell survivors. She’s finished."

"That tomb in the sky will be forever Theresa May’s monument. Grenfell marks the spot
    and her visit marks the moment the last vestiges of her care ...[text shortened]... non-white.
    They were not people expected to vote Conservative or about whom Theresa May cares.
    "They were not people expected to vote Conservative or about whom Theresa May cares."

Well, first point to note is that the local constituency, the richest in the UK, just elected a Labour MP for the first time so the Tories will want to win this seat back.

Secondly, the victims and other tenants of this social housing scheme may not be natural Tory voters, though I will bet some did vote Tory (politics is not rational!) but there will be plenty of Tory voters watching how she handles the situation and it is their impressions that will matter to May and the Tory Party.

There is no reason why any disaster has to work to the advantage or disadvantage of any political party. Obviously, being identified as directly culpable in a dozen incriminating ways does influence things. But it is the way the disaster is handled that decides the outcome. This is bog standard PR - and Treeza Mayhem is displaying a lack of ability that is just depressing.

The Tories will let her go just as soon as they can work out which moron to put in her place.
  11. Subscribersonhouse
    Fast and Curious
    slatington, pa, usa
    Moves
    18 Jun '17 18:12
    "They were not people expected to vote Conservative or about whom Theresa May cares."

Well, first point to note is that the local constituency, the richest in the UK, just elected a Labour MP for the first time so the Tories will want to win this seat back.

Secondly, the victims and other tenants of this social housing scheme may not be natural Tor ...[text shortened]...

The Tories will let her go just as soon as they can work out which moron to put in her place.
    So the Tory story continues.