Debates Forum

Debates Forum

1. Zugzwang
    Moves
    27 Aug '15 02:02
    http://www.theguardian.com/us-news/2015/aug/26/virginia-gunman-kills-reporter-cameraman

"Virginia TV journalists shot dead on air in attack staged by former colleague"

During a live broadcast (26 August 2015), reporter Alison Parker (age 24)
    and cameraman Adam Ward (age 27) (both white Americans) were shot
    to death by Vester Lee Flanagan (age 41), a black gay man (brought up
    as a Jehovah's Witness) who had been fired by the same employer in 2013.
    Flanagan fled from the scene and committed suicide when he was
    about to be apprehended. Before he died, Flanagan attempted to excuse
    the murders by explaining that he felt oppressed as a black gay man
    and was taking revenge for Dylann Roof's murders of black people in church.
    I don't know if the murderer had any previous relationship with his victims.
    More information should be released soon.
  2. Standard membercaissad4
    Child of the Novelty
    San Antonio, Texas
    Moves
    27 Aug '15 02:14
    Originally posted by Duchess64
    http://www.theguardian.com/us-news/2015/aug/26/virginia-gunman-kills-reporter-cameraman

to death by Vester Lee Flanagan (age 41), ...[text shortened]... derer had any previous relationship with his victims.
    Actually he had worked (and been fired) by the television station under bad circumstances.
  3. Zugzwang
    Moves
    27 Aug '15 02:161 edit
    Originally posted by caissad4
    Actually he had worked (and been fired) by the television station under bad circumstances.
    I wrote that the murderer had been fired by the same television station that employed the victims.
    Vester Lee Flanagan (aka Bryce Williams) claimed that Alison Parker had 'made racist comments'.
  4. Standard memberredbadger
    Suzzie says Badger
    is Racist Bastard
    Moves
    27 Aug '15 08:00

to death by Vester Lee Flanagan (age 41), ...[text shortened]... derer had any previous relationship with his victims.
    yeah saw this on the news thanks for the summary really needed it.
  5. Standard memberRJHinds
    The Near Genius
    Fort Gordon
    Moves
    27 Aug '15 10:581 edit

Jehovah's Witness? How could that be? Maybe that was the racist comment.
  6. The Catbird's Seat
    Moves
    27 Aug '15 11:58

Great. Just what was needed. Emphasize all the elements you'ld like to blame for such a tragedy. Guns! Religion! Race!
  7. Standard membersh76
    Civis Americanus Sum
    New York
    Moves
    27 Aug '15 14:282 edits
    Originally posted by normbenign
    Great. Just what was needed. Emphasize all the elements you'ld like to blame for such a tragedy. Guns! Religion! Race!
    Do you deny that easy access to guns may have played a role in the murder?

Race was clearly a factor in the murder as well. Obviously, the murder was 0% justified, but race clearly had its role.
  8. Standard memberredbadger
    Suzzie says Badger
    is Racist Bastard
    Moves
    27 Aug '15 15:49
    Originally posted by caissad4
    obviously when fired it should have been with a gun the murdering piece of crap
  9. The Catbird's Seat
    Moves
    27 Aug '15 18:17
    Originally posted by sh76
    Do you deny that easy access to guns may have played a role in the murder?

Race was clearly a factor in the murder as well. Obviously, the murder was 0% justified, but race clearly had its role.
    Obviously a gun was used to do the deed. However, blaming the gun isn't at all sensible, and a lot of evidence indicates that defensive use of guns more than justifies the RTKABA. Easy access to guns is highly over emphasized. Have you actually tried to buy a fire arm, especially a hand gun?

Again, feeling based on race, were involved, but I doubt anyone has a productive idea as to how to improve race relations, and to eliminate bias, and animosity between differing races.

Some people have notions on both subjects but none that have any practical application.
  10. Zugzwang
    Moves
    27 Aug '15 18:324 edits
    Normbenign again shows his abysmal 'reading comprehension' in his claims about
    what I allegedly 'emphasized'. I simply mentioned some facts given in news reports.

1) The murderer clearly used a gun. But as a fanatical adversary of gun control,
    Normbenign apparently would prefer that this fact be completely ignored or denied.
    2) I mentioned *parenthetically* that the murderer had been brought up as a Jehovah's Witness.
    I know of no reason why his religious upbringing was a motive for his crime.
    3) The murderer was a black man who chose to kill two white persons and claimed that
    what he did was to retaliate (in a 'race war' ) for Dylann Roof's murders of nine black persons.

For the record, in an earlier thread, after being *repeatedly* asked, Normbenign kept
    *refusing to admit that Dylann Roof had any evident racist motive* in murdering nine
    black people in church. Normbenign has long shown that he's a racist white American
    who goes to extremely dishonest lengths to deny or minimize racism in the United States.
  11. Zugzwang
    Moves
    27 Aug '15 18:351 edit
    [i]Originally posted by normbenign[ to Sh76/i]
    Obviously a gun was used to do the deed. However, blaming the gun isn't at all sensible, and a lot of evidence indicates that defensive use of guns more than justifies the RTKABA. Easy access to guns is highly over emphasized. Have you actually tried to buy a fire arm, especially a hand gun?

Again, feeling based on race, were involved, but I do ces.
    Some people have notions on both subjects but none that have any practical application.
    Evidently, Normbenign would prefer that the media censor all the facts that fail to fit
    comfortably in support of his extremely dogmatic right-wing political agenda.
  12. The Catbird's Seat
    Moves
    27 Aug '15 20:26
    Evidently, Normbenign would prefer that the media censor all the facts that fail to fit comfortably in support of his extremely dogmatic right-wing political agenda.
    Again, Duchess64's ignorance strikes. Actually, I want more media coverage, and people to understand that since removing guns from the hands of crazies and criminals will not be accomplished by taking them away from decent people, more decent people ought to be ready to defend themselves, if necessary with guns.

For example, it is a fact that most people killed by guns don't have one to shoot back. When a mass shooter murders multiple people, it is people with guns that put a stop to it.
  13. SubscriberAThousandYoung
    iEn guardia, Ingles!
    tinyurl.com/y43jqfyd
    Moves
    27 Aug '15 22:04
    Again, Duchess64's ignorance strikes. Actually, I want more media coverage, and people to understand that since removing guns from the hands of crazies and criminals will not be accomplished by taking them away from decent people, more decent people ought to be ready to defend themselves, if necessary with guns.

For example, it is a fact that most p ...[text shortened]... back. When a mass shooter murders multiple people, it is people with guns that put a stop to it.
    The Marines managed to stop a gunman in Europe recently with their bare hands.
  14. Zugzwang
    Moves
    27 Aug '15 22:23

For example, it is a fact that most p ...[text shortened]... back. When a mass shooter murders multiple people, it is people with guns that put a stop to it.
    Any experienced reader of this forum knows that Normbenign's an American 'gun nut'
    who fanatically opposes gun control. So Normbenign has objected to any 'emphasis'
    in media coverage about a murderer using a gun to kill people. Normbenign apparently
    wants only US media coverage that would be approved by the NRA (National Rifle Association).
  15. Hy-Brasil
    Moves
    27 Aug '15 22:48
    Any experienced reader of this forum knows that Normbenign's an American 'gun nut'
    who fanatically opposes gun control. So Normbenign has objected to any 'emphasis'
    in media coverage about a murderer using a gun to kill people. Normbenign apparently
    wants only US media coverage that would be approved by the NRA (National Rifle Association).
    I happen to be a experienced reader of this forum and I would not classify Normbenign as "a American 'gun nut 'who fanatically opposes gun control."

Speaking for myself and I am sure Norm would agree, we have enough gun control in the States and need no more. One could argue we have too much gun control in the States.

Mental health issues are the problem.