Please turn on javascript in your browser to play chess.
Debates Forum

Debates Forum

1. Subscriber mchill
    cryptogram
    11 Oct '17 07:13 / 4 edits
    I watched 45 min. of FIX news yesterday, it was amazing how much air time they devoted to Harvey Weinstein. I didn't see much FIX news air time devoted to Mark Sanford, Mark Foley, Richard Curtis, Jim West, Bob Packwood, and countless other prominent Republicans caught with under age boys, girls, cheerleaders, cocktail waitresses and and just about anyone other than their own wives. Let someone from show business or a Liberal step out of line, and FIX News, and others here (are you listening Whodey) pounce on the story like a hen on a june bug. Yes, Harvey Weinstein is probably a sexual predator, but what do they say about those who live in glass houses?

http://www.newnownext.com/19-republican-politicians-brought-down-by-big-gay-sex-scandals/12/2016/

https://www.alternet.org/story/140933/rating_the_greatest_gop_sex_scandals_of_the_past_20_years
  2. 11 Oct '17 09:55 / 3 edits
    Originally posted by @mchill
    I watched 45 min. of FIX news yesterday, it was amazing how much air time they devoted to Harvey Weinstein. I didn't see much FIX news air time devoted to Mark Sanford, Mark Foley, Richard Curtis, Jim West, Bob Packwood, and countless other prominent Republicans caught with under age boys, girls, cheerleaders, cocktail waitresses and and just about anyone ot ...[text shortened]...
    https://www.alternet.org/story/140933/rating_the_greatest_gop_sex_scandals_of_the_past_20_years
    I think one of the reasons he has caught so much flack is the same reason TV preachers used to get so much attention when they fell from grace. There is just something transfixing about someone getting up and preaching to you about something, only to find out later that they practice none of it.

Had Harvey not been a left winged cheerleader for women's rights, none of this would probably be as blown up as it is.

I also wonder who he pissed off. I mean, they kept this secret for how many decades?

It is akin to the big liberal, Sterling, in California who owned an NBA team. He was caught on a private line saying racist things. Trouble is, he was awarded by the NAACP shortly before about how great a guy he was with racial issues. Yet another left winged hypocrite that took all the media attention.

It is really no different than the secret e-mail sent out to all democrat candidates telling them that BLM is really a terrorist group and not to make them promises, all the while sucking up to them like they really give a damn.
  3. 11 Oct '17 10:40
    It's Trump's fault. If Trump wasn't such a horrible example and saying what he said, this would not have happened.
  4. 11 Oct '17 11:11 / 1 edit
    The UK news states he has fled to a clinic in Europe to get treatment for sex addiction. He is facing 3 rape allegations. He will need some support if he's going to survive what he will have to face. He is being torn to shreds by the media frenzy. That's the price of fame and wealth. I must admit that I feel some sympathy for him.
  5. 11 Oct '17 11:20
    Originally posted by @drewnogal
    The UK news states he has fled to a clinic in Europe to get treatment for sex addiction. He is facing 3 rape allegations. He will need some support if he's going to survive what he will have to face. He is being torn to shreds by the media frenzy. That's the price of fame and wealth. I must admit that I feel some sympathy for him.
    What has been on the media has been known in the Hollywood seen for quite some time.
  6. 11 Oct '17 12:24
    Originally posted by @eladar
    What has been on the media has been known in the Hollywood seen for quite some time.
    Reminds me of the Penn State scandal. Everyone knew boys were being abused but the entire university kept it quiet cuz they did not want to hurt the football team and, more importantly, did not want to flow of money from the football team to stop.

Yea, Go Pedo State! I hear they are doing really good this year. Too bad they should not have a team, but the money is just too good to end their program.
  7. Standard member vivify
    rain
    11 Oct '17 16:14 / 2 edits
    Why do you feel sympathy for a man with 3 rape allegations, who for decades, bullied his victims into cooperating with his sexual demands, and bullied them into silence about it?
  8. Standard member sh76
    Civis Americanus Sum
    11 Oct '17 18:14 / 2 edits
    I watched 45 min. of FIX news yesterday, it was amazing how much air time they devoted to Harvey Weinstein. I didn't see much FIX news air time devoted to Mark Sanford, Mark Foley, Richard Curtis, Jim West, Bob Packwood, and countless other prominent Republicans caught with under age boys, girls, cheerleaders, cocktail waitresses and and just about anyone ot ...[text shortened]...
    All of those guy got plenty of coverage at their times.

What, exactly, are you looking for? You want them to go back to Mark Sanford every day?
  9. Standard member Soothfast
    11 Oct '17 18:43
    I never heard of this grizzled tosser until a few days ago.
  10. Standard member sh76
    Civis Americanus Sum
    11 Oct '17 20:31
    Originally posted by @soothfast
    I never heard of this grizzled tosser until a few days ago.
    Never seen Entourage, I take it?
  11. 11 Oct '17 21:40
    Originally posted by @sh76 to Mchill
    All of those guy got plenty of coverage at their times.
    What, exactly, are you looking for? You want them to go back to Mark Sanford every day?
    Mchill seems to believe that Harvey Weinstein has been disproportionately singled out for
    harsh US media coverage because he's supposedly a 'liberal Democrat'. I disagree.

I would add that what Harvey Weinstein's accused of is much worse than what Mark Sanford did.
    Harvey Weinstein's accused (though not yet charged) of sexual violence (rape) against women.
    Mark Sanford lied about visiting his secret mistress in Argentina. He did not force himself upon her.
    While having an extramarital affair may be wrong, though not illegal, and lying to the
    government about his reasons for being away from his public office is more wrong, it
    all still does not approach the heinousness of what Harvey Weinstein's accused of doing.
  12. 11 Oct '17 22:05
    Originally posted by @vivify
    Why do you feel sympathy for a man with 3 rape allegations, who for decades, bullied his victims into cooperating with his sexual demands, and bullied them into silence about it?
    I don't condone rape and in time he will be judged in a court of law. Innocent until proven guilty? What I don't get is why the other women, (they were women and not girls right?) just didn't tell him to F off, stuff his film and head for the door of his apartment as soon as they could and forget about their part in his film for the sake of their own self respect. We all come across these type of men at some time during our lives. I used to train a horse for one when I was 15. He'd be holding out my pound note in pay and ask me for a kiss at the same time. I made sure I never got too close to him.
  13. Standard member vivify
    rain
    11 Oct '17 22:24
    I don't condone rape and in time he will be judged in a court of law. Innocent until proven guilty? What I don't get is why the other women, (they were women and not girls right?) just didn't tell him to F off, stuff his film and head for the door of his apartment as soon as they could and forget about their part in his film for the sake of their own self ...[text shortened]... nd note in pay and ask me for a kiss at the same time. I made sure I never got too close to him.
    According to reports, Weinstein was especially influential in Hollywood, and had the power to ruin an actor's or model's professional life. Ruining their pro life didn't merely mean no longer being able to get work, but to have their reputation smeared to the the point where it could ruin the personal life as well. According to the alleged victims, this was a legitimate fear.

You are right, though, that it should be innocent until proven guilty.

But,

Since the New York Times report exposing these allegations about Weinstein's predatory behavior, he's been fired from his own company, fled the country and checked into rehab. That's not the behavior of a man who's innocent. That's on the top of the fact that there's now audio of Weinsein confessing to sexual assault.

In light of this, I was wondering what about this man's situation made you feel sympathy for him.
  14. Standard member Soothfast
    12 Oct '17 00:32
    Originally posted by @sh76
    Never seen Entourage, I take it?
    By way of an answer I'll just ask: is that some kind of movie?
  15. 12 Oct '17 01:05 / 1 edit
    Originally posted by @drewnogal about Harvey Weinstein
    "The UK news states he [Harvey Weinstein] has fled to a clinic in Europe to get treatment for sex addiction."
    --Drewnogal

Why didn't Harvey Weinstein seek such treatment earlier? Did he become aware of his
    supposed 'sex addiction' problem *only after* he's been accused of raping several women?

"He will need some support if he's going to survive what he will have to face."
    --Drewnogal

Will he need as much as support as a rape victim in surviving what she has experienced?

"He is being torn to shreds by the media frenzy."
    --Drewnogal

Reportedly, Harvey Weinstein has used his powerful public relations machine to attack
    and defame some women who had refused his sexual advances.

"That's the price of fame and wealth."
    --Drewnogal

For many years, his fame and wealth gave Harvey Weinstein the most enjoyable 'perk' of
    sexual access to many attractive, naïve, vulnerable young women who were afraid of him.
    I would submit that such a 'perk' is *priceless* (sarcasm intended).

" I must admit that I feel some sympathy for him [Harvey Weinstein]."
    --Drewnogal

When Gretchen Carlson initially accused Roger Ailes of sexual harassment, the Fox News Channel
    trotted out a line-up of its loyal prominent celebrity women, who staunchly defended him.

Here's a celebrity woman who supports (or supported) Harvey Weinstein:
    https://www.theguardian.com/film/2017/oct/10/donna-karan-defends-harvey-weinstein-women

"Donna Karan defends Harvey Weinstein: 'Are women asking for it?'
    Fashion designer praises producer accused of harassment and suggests women
    ‘presenting all the sensuality and all the sexuality’ are asking for trouble."

"Fashion designer Donna Karan has come to the defence of film producer Harvey Weinstein
    by praising the movie mogul and saying women who dress sensually are asking for trouble."

"Karan said women who dressed provocatively were asking for trouble.
    “You look at everything all over the world today and how women are dressing and what they
    are asking by just presenting themselves the way they do. What are they asking for? Trouble."

"Karan’s comments were seized on by Rose McGowan, one of Weinstein’s accusers,
    who called the designer “scum in a fancy dress”."

After some other Hollywood actresses condemned Donna Karan and implied that they
    would boycott her products, Donna Karan claimed that her comments supporting Harvey
    Weinstein had been taken out of context and misunderstood. Damage control, anyone?