Debates Forum

Debates Forum

1. Joined
    12 Jul '08
    Moves
    18 Jun '18 01:52
    For around 30 years, researchers have studied how having children affects a marriage, and the results are conclusive: the relationship between spouses suffers once kids come along. Comparing couples with and without children, researchers found that the rate of the decline in relationship satisfaction is nearly twice as steep for couples who have children than for childless couples. In the event that a pregnancy is unplanned, the parents experience even greater negative impacts on their relationship.

The irony is that even as the marital satisfaction of new parents declines, the likelihood of them divorcing also declines. So, having children may make you miserable, but you’ll be miserable together.

Worse still, this decrease in marital satisfaction likely leads to a change in general happiness, because the biggest predictor of overall life satisfaction is one’s satisfaction with their spouse.

http://fortune.com/2016/05/09/mothers-marriage-parenthood/
  2. SubscriberTom Wolsey
    Aficionado of Prawns
    Texas
    Moves
    18 Jun '18 01:55
    All of that makes complete sense.

Consider certain cultures in this world that are religiously driven to have huge families. One of those cultures is currently invading Europe by attrition. It's only a matter of time when you compare birth rates.
  3. Joined
    12 Jul '08
    Moves
    18 Jun '18 02:15
    Originally posted by @tom-wolsey

Consider certain cultures in this world that are religiously driven to have huge families. One of those cultures is currently invading Europe by attrition. It's only a matter of time when you compare birth rates.
    That religion does it the old fashioned way with male dominated houses and domestic violence. I don't think happiness is high on their agenda.

Our culture is something different.
  4. Zugzwang
    Moves
    18 Jun '18 02:201 edit
    [i]Originally posted by @tom-wolsey to Eladar/i]

Yes, ultra-Orthodox Jews tend to have large families.
    Some former ultra-Othodox Jewish women have complained about
    the intense cultural pressures to bear children early and often.
    This fecundity has been partly rationalized as a drive to restore
    Jewish numbers after the Holocaust.

In contrast to Tom Wolsey, I am not worried about ultra-Orthodox Jews
    (some of whom are anti-Zionist) "invading Europe" and forcing all
    other Europeans to stop eating pork. Shalom!
  5. SubscriberTom Wolsey
    Aficionado of Prawns
    Texas
    Moves
    18 Jun '18 02:321 edit
    Originally posted by @duchess64
    Yes, ultra-Orthodox Jews tend to have large families.
    Some former ultra-Othodox Jewish women have complained about
    the cultural pressure to bear children early and often.
    This fecundity has been partly rationalized as a drive to restore
    Jewish numbers after the Holocaust.

In contrast to Tom Wolsey, I am not worried about ultra-Orthodox Jews
    (some of whom are anti-Zionist) invading Europe and forcing all
    Europeans to stop eating pork.
    I was talking about Muslims, of course. This swings us right back to nationalism. I'm not European (by birth). But if I were a European citizen I would be concerned with the heavy influx of Muslim people. Not because of fear or hate. But because I probably wouldn't be on board with the continent changing completely and coming under the rule of Islam. It wouldn't be Europe anymore. I would want Europe to stay the way it is.. the way it's been for centuries. Likewise, no predominantly Islamic country would welcome Western culture to move in and eventually take over. It doesn't have to be because this group hates that group. It can be that they just like things the way they are and don't support radical change.

I like a rib eye steak with a baked potato. Someone else sitting at the table may insist that I try the bacon wrapped filet mignon with seared brussel sprouts drizzled with maple syrup. While I do like filet mignon and brussel sprouts, I will order what I always order and get the rib eye and potato. It traditionally makes me the happiest and I don't feel inclined to try something else, nor should I be required to because someone else says it's better.
  6. Zugzwang
    Moves
    18 Jun '18 02:361 edit
    Originally posted by @eladar to Tom Wolsey
    That religion does it the old fashioned way with male dominated houses and domestic violence. I don't think happiness is high on their agenda.

Our culture is something different.
    It's true that ultra-Orthodox Jewish culture is male-dominated.
    Some women have complained about misogyny and domestic violence
    within ultra-Orthodox Jewish communities, including accusing the
    religious authorities of approving of repressing women.

'Our culture us something different."
    --Eladar

For centuries, most European Christians believed that Jews, particularly
    the ultra-Orthodox, could not assimilate into Europe. So they often
    preferred to keep Jews segregated in ghettos. Then Hitler (who would
    have agreed with Eladar's statement) came up with a more final solution.
  7. Joined
    12 Jul '08
    Moves
    18 Jun '18 02:39
    Never let the op actually be the discussion.

Sheesh the topic got changed right off the bat.

Thanks Tom, appreciate it.
  8. Zugzwang
    Moves
    18 Jun '18 02:401 edit
    I was talking about Muslims, of course. This swings us right back to nationalism. I'm not European (by birth). But if I were a European citizen I would be concerned with the heavy influx of Muslim people. Not because of fear or hate. But because I probably wouldn't be on board with the continent changing completely and coming under the rule of Islam ...[text shortened]... clined to try something else, nor should I be required to because someone else says it's better.
    I am pointing out that fewer Westerners today would accept Tom Wolsey's
    bigotry if he expressed it against Jews instead of Muslims.

If Tom Wolsey were less ignorant of history, then he would know
    that Europe has not stayed the same for the past several centuries.
  9. SubscriberTom Wolsey
    Aficionado of Prawns
    Texas
    Moves
    18 Jun '18 02:41
    Originally posted by @eladar

I do what I can. 😏
  10. SubscriberTom Wolsey
    Aficionado of Prawns
    Texas
    Moves
    18 Jun '18 02:441 edit
    So anyway, back to the original subject, I agreed with it. And I suspect most Europeans (and a growing number of Americans) agree with it.

That got me thinking of our collective declining birthrate. Is there anything your grace, Sir Eladar would care to add?
  11. Zugzwang
    Moves
    18 Jun '18 02:451 edit
    Originally posted by @eladar

I know that the two Christians in this thread like to incite hatred against Muslims.
    I point out that his words could be used as well to incite hatred against Jews.
  12. Joined
    12 Jul '08
    Moves
    18 Jun '18 02:51
    So anyway, back to the original subject, I agreed with it. And I suspect most Europeans (and a growing number of Americans) agree with it.

That got me thinking of our collective declining birthrate. Is there anything your grace, Sir Eladar would care to add?
    Yeah well dont bring up known bitching session topics. Hell, you might as well have said something about rape.

D or some other nutjob will take off with it.
  13. SubscriberTom Wolsey
    Aficionado of Prawns
    Texas
    Moves
    18 Jun '18 02:522 edits
    Originally posted by @duchess64
    I know that the two Christians in this thread like to incite hatred against Muslims.
    I point out that his words could be used as well to incite hatred against Jews.
    I don't have to incite hatred for Muslims. It's already there. I already qualified my statement by reminding the observer that--likewise--Islamic countries would have NO PART in allowing white, anglo-saxon Westerner Europeans into their territories by the millions with a birth rate 5 times that of the indigenous people. It's a people/country/traditionalist thing that is natural. It might even be described as nationalism.

edit: steering ship back to OP subject - abandoning this spin off discussion.
  14. Zugzwang
    Moves
    18 Jun '18 03:23
    I don't have to incite hatred for Muslims. It's already there. I already qualified my statement by reminding the observer that--likewise--Islamic countries would have NO PART in allowing white, anglo-saxon Westerner Europeans into their territories by the millions with a birth rate 5 times that of the indigenous people. It's a people/country/tradition ...[text shortened]... s nationalism.

edit: steering ship back to OP subject - abandoning this spin off discussion.
    Tom Wolsey should read his post 2 in this thread and ask himself
    if his alluding to Muslims "invading Europe" is off topic.

Tom Wolsey apparently feels entitled to throw in anti-Muslim jabs
    while expecting not to get called for it.

I would add that predominantly Muslim societies have long been
    REALLY invaded by armed white Europeans.
  15. Zugzwang
    Moves
    18 Jun '18 03:261 edit
    Originally posted by @tom-wolsey to Ekadar

Consider certain cultures in this world that are religiously driven to have huge families.
    One of those cultures is currently invading Europe by attrition.
    It's only a matter of time when you compare birth rates.
    Does Tom Wolsey regard all his comments as on topic with Eladar's post?