Debates Forum

Debates Forum

1. Seongnam, S. Korea
    Moves
    12 Sep '18 06:21
    Some pretty interesting insights from Heather MacDonald:

“This idea that we’re living through an epidemic of campus rape is simply hallucinatory, although that’s being a little too gracious to it because, again, it is a deliberate concoction on the part of campus feminists and the Title IX bureaucracy,” Mac Donald, who is also a Manhattan Institute fellow and a contributing editor to City Journal, told House.

According to Mac Donald, the reality is much simpler: the effects of falsely assuming that men and women are the same. “What’s going on on college campuses is the nervous breakdown of sexual liberation with this drunken hookup culture that, it turns out, females don’t really enjoy as much as males do. No surprise there. Sexual liberation pretended males and females were identical in their desires for no strings attached casual sex,” she told House.

The #MeToo Movement also, according to Mac Donald, has links to the false assumptions of the campus left. “The #MeToo Movement has built upon the whole ideology of feminism. For sure there are real predators out there, particularly in the workplace where you have disparities, hierarchies of power. But, unsurprisingly, it has gone way beyond that, where you now have people that are bringing criminal charges against somebody that maybe made an unwanted gesture at a Christmas party,” she said.

Do you think this is true?

https://www.breitbart.com/radio/2018/09/11/heather-mac-donald-epidemic-of-campus-rape-is-simply-hallucinatory/
  2. Subscriberno1marauder
    Humble and Kind
    In the Gazette
    Moves
    12 Sep '18 08:09
    Originally posted by @philokalia

[quote]“This idea that we’re living through an epidemic of campus rape is simply hallucinatory, although that’s being a little too gracious to it because, again, it is a deliberate concoction on the part of campus feminists and the Title IX bureaucracy,” Mac Donald, who is also a Manhattan Inst ...[text shortened]... eitbart.com/radio/2018/09/11/heather-mac-donald-epidemic-of-campus-rape-is-simply-hallucinatory/
    No.
  3. Joined
    07 Dec '05
    Moves
    12 Sep '18 08:29

[quote]“This idea that we’re living through an epidemic of campus rape is simply hallucinatory, although that’s being a little too gracious to it because, again, it is a deliberate concoction on the part of campus feminists and the Title IX bureaucracy,” Mac Donald, who is also a Manhattan Inst ...[text shortened]... eitbart.com/radio/2018/09/11/heather-mac-donald-epidemic-of-campus-rape-is-simply-hallucinatory/
    Yes and no.
    Women are reporting it more than they used to, but some women are also getting more hypersensitive about stuff they should not, especially if the man is ugly. They will tolerate the same stuff from a handsome man that they will not with unattractive men. SNL once did a skit about it and there is some truth to it.
  4. Germany
    Moves
    12 Sep '18 14:49

Do you think this is true?
    If you were interested in the answer to that question, you'd be reading serious scholarly insights with respect to the issue of rape on campuses, not an opinion article from an online propaganda rag.
  5. Zugzwang
    Moves
    12 Sep '18 17:54
    Originally posted by @metal-brain to Philokalia
    Yes and no.
    Women are reporting it more than they used to, but some women are also getting more hypersensitive about stuff they should not, especially if the man is ugly. They will tolerate the same stuff from a handsome man that they will not with unattractive men. SNL once did a skit about it and there is some truth to it.
    Metal Brain keeps showing his sexism.

Yes, many women would feel more accepting of an initial show of interest from an attractive
    man than by an unattractive man. But if the situation degenerates to his use of force,
    women do not willingly (by definition) accept being raped by a man, however good-looking.
  6. Subscribersonhouse
    Fast and Curious
    slatington, pa, usa
    Moves
    13 Sep '18 01:10
    Originally posted by @duchess64

Yes, many women would feel more accepting of an initial show of interest from an attractive
    man than by an unattractive man. But if the situation degenerates to his use of force,
    women do not willingly (by definition) accept being raped by a man, however good-looking.
    Like Suzi says, Yes Captain obvious.
  7. Zugzwang
    Moves
    13 Sep '18 01:152 edits
    Originally posted by @sonhouse
    Like Suzi says, Yes Captain obvious.
    The tireless troll Sonhouse's sneering is misplaced. What I wrote was NOT obvious to Metal Brain,
    to whom I addressed my post. And I would add that Sonhouse often shows abysmal willful
    ignorance that's as bad or worse than MetalBrain's.

Sonhouse may be less sexist than MetalBrain, but MetalBrain's not a fanatical apologist
    for or supporter of US imperialism like Sonhouse.
  8. Zugzwang
    Moves
    13 Sep '18 01:583 edits

Contrary to what Philokalia may wish to believe, there's a stigma attached to reporting rape.

https://www.independent.co.uk/news/world/americas/student-told-she-violated-university-s-honor-code-after-she-reported-her-own-rape-a6983201.html

"Student told she ‘violated’ university’s 'honor code' after she reported her own rape."

"Ms [Madi] Barney was raped by a man who she invited back to her apartment - but not
    into her bedroom - in September 2015. Police documents say the alleged rapist later
    admitted to Ms Barney over the phone that he had forced her into sex. Meanwhile, a
    friend of the suspect took the police report to the BYU honor code office. ...
    Ms Barney plans to transfer to another school after the end of this term."

According to the honor code, Madi Barney (who was 19 years old and unmarried) was
    forbidden to have sexual intercourse before marriage. By reporting her own rape, she
    admitted that she had had sexual intercourse, even though it was against her will.
    Therefore, she was considered guilty of violating the honor code and subject to
    punishment (perhaps up to expulsion) by the Christian university.

Note: The accused rapist (a black man about 20 years older than his accuser, a white woman)
    was eventually acquitted, apparently because in a "he said / she said" case of date rape,
    the Utah jury did not find her testimony credible enough beyond a reasonable doubt.
  9. Joined
    07 Feb '09
    Moves
    13 Sep '18 02:22

Correct and well put.

Attractiveness or lack thereof is usually within the realms of first impressions.
  10. Seongnam, S. Korea
    Moves
    13 Sep '18 03:42
    Originally posted by @metal-brain
    Yes and no.
    There is indeed a lot of truth in the idea that beautiful people can be viewed in a positive light regardless of the circumstances.

For instance, the hot guy who can't dance at the club is cute. The ugly guy who can't dance at the club is annoying and weird, what's he even doing here?

The pretty girl who is eating a large sized cheeseburger and has an ice cream cone on the side is hilarious, how can she eat so much in one sitting? The fat girl is a beast!

Etc.

Years ago, I was wearing around my BCGs ("Birth Control Glasses"😉 in a "punk rock" Army sort of way. A Chinese student told me "You should get better glasses," and gave me some small speech about this, and it climaxed with her saying that, in China, they have a proverb:

"Nobody hates beauty."

It is true.
  11. Seongnam, S. Korea
    Moves
    13 Sep '18 03:44
    Contrary to what Philokalia may wish to believe, there's a stigma attached to reporting rape.

https://www.independent.co.uk/news/world/americas/student-told-she-violated-university-s-honor-code-after-she-reported-her-own-rape-a6983201.html

"Student told she ‘violated’ university’s 'honor code' after she reported her own rape."

"Ms [Madi] Barney w ...[text shortened]... date rape,
    the Utah jury did not find her testimony credible enough beyond a reasonable doubt.
    As usual, Duchy is sloppy, fuzzy, and aggressive.

Nowhere did I say that I believe there's no stigma attached to reporting it.

This is a pure fabrication.

I posted the article because I felt that it was an interesting perspective.

I also am of the school of thought that, if anything, the situation has gotten progressively better & better over the last decades. Calling it an 'epidemic' is ridiculous, and saying that there is a special kind of threat still existent today is a blatant lie.

If a rape culture exists, it is not to be found in the West.
  12. Zugzwang
    Moves
    13 Sep '18 03:551 edit
    [b]As usual, Duchy is sloppy, fuzzy, and aggressive.

Nowhere did I say that I believe there's no stigma attached to reporting it.

This is a pure fabrication.

I posted the article because I felt that it was an interesting perspective.

I also am of the school of thought that, if anything, the situation has [i]gotten progressively ...[text shortened]... xistent today is a blatant lie.

If a rape culture exists, it is not to be found in the West.[/b]
    The troll (as KazetNagorra noted) Philokalia approvingly
    cited a right-wing opinion that apparently claims that
    modern young women (at least left-leaning ones) seem
    eager to make false accusations of rape because they
    can easily get attention and support without having
    their claims scrutinized too much. I point out that's absurd.
    Reporting rape remains so stigmatized that most victims
    are afraid to report immediately, if ever.

As an extremely arrogant white nationalist, the sexist
    Philokalia refuses to listen to many diverse women
    speak of their experiences of rape culture in the West.
    It starts from the top; Donald Trump has explicitly boasted
    of sexually assaulting women.

The extremely racist Philokalia may like to imply that
    women almost always have to fear being raped only by
    non-white (or Muslim) men. No sensible woman should
    believe his nonsense.
  13. Seongnam, S. Korea
    Moves
    13 Sep '18 04:01
    The troll (as KazetNagorra noted) Philokalia approvingly
    cited a right-wing opinion that apparently claims that
    modern young women (at least left-leaning ones) seem
    eager to make false accusations of rape because they
    can easily get attention and support without having
    their claims scrutinized too much. I point out that's absurd.
    Reporting rape remains so stigmatized that most victims
    are afraid to report immediately, if ever.
    Deflection, deflection, deflection!

As usual, Duchy is deflecting, and he is teaming up with Kazet Nagorra, a famous far left guy, to advance some narrative that Breitbart is an extreme right wing site that is totally biased and incapable of even bringing up a point for conversation.

This idea is patently absurd.

Oh, sure, they are right wing. And the Guardian is left wing. And HuffPo is left wing. And many mainstream sites have a notable inclination towards the Left. I suffer through them without raising the poitn and take the stories on a play-by-play basis, like an adult.

You just deflected without engaging the content!

This is exactly what I would expect from you who are fuzzy, sloppy, and non-committal.

Can you handle this on a level where we actually discuss the issue?

Or are you going to DEFLECT still?
  14. Zugzwang
    Moves
    13 Sep '18 04:181 edit
    [b]Deflection, deflection, deflection!

As usual, Duchy is deflecting, and he is teaming up with Kazet Nagorra, a famous far left guy, to advance some narrative that Breitbart is an extreme right wing site that is totally biased and incapable of even bringing up a point for conversation.

This idea is patently absurd.

Oh, sure, ...[text shortened]... his on a level where we actually discuss the issue?

Or are you going to DEFLECT still?[/b]
    The troll Philokalia is a completely close-minded sexist
    man who fanatically clings to (often racist) rape myths.

I doubt that Philokalia really cares about women who
    are raped, though he may pretend to when he wants
    to demonize non-white men as their rapists.

Now watch for some trolls who will attempt to turn this
    thread from one of rape denial or apologias into one
    demonizing Muslim men as rapists.
  15. Joined
    07 Dec '05
    Moves
    13 Sep '18 05:01

Use of force? Rape?

I never said anything about that. Duchess is assuming without cause and falsely accusing me of sexism.