Please turn on javascript in your browser to play chess.
Debates Forum

Debates Forum

1. 24 Oct '11 15:34
    Here are a list of weak spots that will plague Cain.

http://abcnews.go.com/Politics/herman-cains-top-flip-flops/story?id=14790284

It is only a matter of time before he falls in the polls and never recovers from it.
  2. 24 Oct '11 18:45
    Originally posted by Metal Brain
    Here are a list of weak spots that will plague Cain.

http://abcnews.go.com/Politics/herman-cains-top-flip-flops/story?id=14790284

It is only a matter of time before he falls in the polls and never recovers from it.
    I've known all along that the party of "W" and McCain would nominate Romney. It's only a matter of time.
  3. Standard member wittywonka
    Chocolate Expert
    24 Oct '11 19:12
    Originally posted by whodey
    I've known all along that the party of "W" and McCain would nominate Romney. It's only a matter of time.
    Yeah, that's what happens to a party that demands ideological conformity.
  4. Subscriber no1marauder
    It's Nice to Be Nice
    24 Oct '11 19:37
    Originally posted by wittywonka
    Yeah, that's what happens to a party that demands ideological conformity.
    What party doesn't? What would be the use of a party that didn't?

What are the chances of a candidate that supported a "Human Life" Amendment declaring life begins at conception winning the Democratic nomination? A party has to stand for something.
  5. Standard member wittywonka
    Chocolate Expert
    24 Oct '11 23:50
    Originally posted by no1marauder

What are the chances of a candidate that supported a "Human Life" Amendment declaring life begins at conception winning the Democratic nomination? A party has to stand for something.
    I would argue that the GOP is much less tolerant of ideological variation than is the Democratic Party. Look at the outcry just in response the the honest hesitation Cain had when he acknowledged privacy issues related to abortion. Look at the backlash against Gingrich earlier this year, when he initially stood by his former position that the individual mandate was a reasonable avenue for broadening health care coverage. Look at the criticism Perry faced when he suggested that decisions about homosexuals' marrying should be left to the states.

Pro-life, anti-individual mandate, and anti-gay marriage positions are represented in the Democratic Party. How many pro-choice Republicans, or pro-individual mandate Republicans, or pro-gay marriage Republicans can you name?
  6. 25 Oct '11 00:11

And what do both parties stand for? They seem to stand for increasing deficits, wars abroad, turning a blind eye to illegal immigration, and the preservation and augmentation of the nanny state.

Pfft. They can all play together without Whodey.
  7. Subscriber no1marauder
    It's Nice to Be Nice
    25 Oct '11 00:28
    I would argue that the GOP is much less tolerant of ideological variation than is the Democratic Party. Look at the outcry just in response the the honest hesitation Cain had when he acknowledged privacy issues related to abortion. Look at the backlash against Gingrich earlier this year, when he initially stood by his former position that the individual ...[text shortened]... publicans, or pro-individual mandate Republicans, or pro-gay marriage Republicans can you name?
    I wouldn't know about pro-individual mandate Republicans but there are a fair number of Republican national politicians who have been pro-choice; Rudy Giuliani would be one that I could name off the top of my head. In July of this year, 4 Republican State Senators in New York voted to legalize gay marriage; without their "yes" vote the bill would have been defeated.http://www.politico.com/news/stories/0611/57749.html
  8. Subscriber no1marauder
    It's Nice to Be Nice
    25 Oct '11 00:28
    And what do both parties stand for? They seem to stand for increasing deficits, wars abroad, turning a blind eye to illegal immigration, and the preservation and augmentation of the nanny state.

9. Standard member wittywonka
    Chocolate Expert
    25 Oct '11 00:43
    I wouldn't know about pro-individual mandate Republicans but there are a fair number of Republican national politicians who have been pro-choice; Rudy Giuliani would be one that I could name off the top of my head. In July of this year, 4 Republican State Senators in New York voted to legalize gay marriage; without their "yes" vote the bill would have been defeated.http://www.politico.com/news/stories/0611/57749.html
    Giuliani lost the nomination, though. The national Republican Party has more power to demand ideological conformity because the national electorate is pretty evenly split between Republicans and Democrats, but I'm not surprised that in a blue state like New York, rigid ideology will not be as strong a factor, simply because the existence of the party in the first place would depend on moderation.
  10. Standard member wittywonka
    Chocolate Expert
    25 Oct '11 00:46

Yes, whodey, the world is a massive conspiracy theory. Please sleep well in light of that fact.
  11. 25 Oct '11 00:56
    Yes, whodey, the world is a massive conspiracy theory. Please sleep well in light of that fact.
    Why is it that when the left protest against Wall Street as if there is some large conspiracy to enslave them all its OK but when those on the right hint that similar things are being done in government we are all lunatics?
  12. Standard member wittywonka
    Chocolate Expert
    25 Oct '11 00:59
    Why is it that when the left protest against Wall Street as if there is some large conspiracy to enslave them all its OK but when those on the right hint that similar things are being done in government we are all lunatics?
    Glad to know you actually care about throw-away comments now. I'll keep that in mind next time you indulge yourself.
  13. Subscriber no1marauder
    It's Nice to Be Nice
    25 Oct '11 01:15
    Giuliani lost the nomination, though. The national Republican Party has more power to demand ideological conformity because the national electorate is pretty evenly split between Republicans and Democrats, but I'm not surprised that in a blue state like New York, rigid ideology will not be as strong a factor, simply because the existence of the party in the first place would depend on moderation.
    You apply inconsistent standards; when was the last time an anti-abortion Democrat garnered any significant national support in a Presidential race? I can't think of one.
  14. 25 Oct '11 01:36
    You apply inconsistent standards; when was the last time an anti-abortion Democrat garnered any significant national support in a Presidential race? I can't think of one.
    Crickets chirping, all I hear are crickets!!
  15. 25 Oct '11 01:37
    Glad to know you actually care about throw-away comments now. I'll keep that in mind next time you indulge yourself.
    Maybe its because I'm a throw away conservative. Although we never attain power, we get blamed for all of our ills.

Really, its the best of both worlds.