Please turn on javascript in your browser to play chess.
Debates Forum

Debates Forum

1. 25 Sep '11 15:52
    I know many people don't think straw polls mean much but Cain is getting good news media coverage from it. That makes a difference. He wasn't doing well in the polls not too long ago and now he is up there. Who knows, he might reach double digits with this much needed media attention.

http://www.reuters.com/article/2011/09/25/us-usa-campaign-winner-idUSTRE78N2RE20110925

How did he do it?
    What gave him this bump in the polls?
    Did he spend a lot of campaign money to do it?
    Is it because he was a member of the board of directors to the Federal Reserve Bank of Kansas City?
  2. Subscriber FMF
    a.k.a. John W Booth
    25 Sep '11 16:32
    Originally posted by Metal Brain
    I know many people don't think straw polls mean much but Cain is getting good news media coverage from it. That makes a difference. He wasn't doing well in the polls not too long ago and now he is up there. Who knows, he might reach double digits with this much needed media attention.

http://www.reuters.com/article/2011/09/25/us-usa-campaign-winner-id ...[text shortened]... because he was a member of the board of directors to the Federal Reserve Bank of Kansas City?
    When it comes to analyzing and characterizing Cain, whodey seems to think it all comes down to whether he is a "liar" or an "idiot". I can't quite follow whodey's line of thinking, actually. Bit odd if you ask me. It's on the other thread.
  3. 25 Sep '11 16:42

http://www.reuters.com/article/2011/09/25/us-usa-campaign-winner-id ...[text shortened]... because he was a member of the board of directors to the Federal Reserve Bank of Kansas City?
    Hate to say it but did his no Muslims in his cabinet statement help him win? I hope not but its hard to pinpoint the actual reason.
  4. Subscriber FMF
    a.k.a. John W Booth
    25 Sep '11 16:44 / 1 edit
    Originally posted by badmoon
    Hate to say it but did his no Muslims in his cabinet statement help him win? I hope not but its hard to pinpoint the actual reason.
    I doubt his comments about Muslims matter at all to those who like him, except to 'place' him in the mud pool of memes soundbites and images.
  5. 25 Sep '11 17:08
    Probably.
  6. Standard member sh76
    Civis Americanus Sum
    25 Sep '11 17:40
    Let's relax; he didn't win anything yet. These straw polls are not scientific and are essentially meaningless.

Let's see him win a scientific poll and then I'll take him seriously.
  7. 25 Sep '11 20:05
    Originally posted by sh76
    Let's relax; he didn't win anything yet. These straw polls are not scientific and are essentially meaningless.

Let's see him win a scientific poll and then I'll take him seriously.
    Romney has been in forever. Perry has been a flash in the pan. In the most recent debate, Cain was among those with the strongest, clearest message. Gingrich, Paul, and Bachman were also strong.

I see the second tier pulling a lot closer, and the top tier, especially Perry stumbling.
  8. 25 Sep '11 20:41
    Originally posted by FMF
    When it comes to analyzing and characterizing Cain, whodey seems to think it all comes down to whether he is a "liar" or an "idiot". I can't quite follow whodey's line of thinking, actually. Bit odd if you ask me. It's on the other thread.
    I think you have the conversation confused about Ron Paul. Please at least twist my words about the correct person on topic.
  9. 25 Sep '11 21:20
    Originally posted by normbenign
    Romney has been in forever. Perry has been a flash in the pan. In the most recent debate, Cain was among those with the strongest, clearest message. Gingrich, Paul, and Bachman were also strong.

I see the second tier pulling a lot closer, and the top tier, especially Perry stumbling.
    Bachmann... was... strong...?
  10. 25 Sep '11 21:27 / 2 edits

I think that Cain, Gingerich and Santorum were the only three candidates who attended the Florida straw poll. Some of the other candidates headed to Michigan for that straw poll, won today (Sunday) by Romney.

Not that this means anything, but the Florida straw poll likes to "boast" of its "accuracy" as a predictor. It's only been held three times (prior to this year), the winners being Reagan (1979), G.H.W. Bush (1987) and Bob Dole (1995). I'm not sure why one wasn't held for the 2000 or 2008 elections.
  11. 25 Sep '11 21:52
    All republican candidates if allowed to implement their policies would further the decline of the USA since the gap between the rich and the poor/middle class would further increase.
  12. 25 Sep '11 22:31
    Originally posted by kbear1k
    All republican candidates if allowed to implement their policies would further the decline of the USA since the gap between the rich and the poor/middle class would further increase.
    Include Obama in with the republicans since he is a DINO.

He didn't fight to let the Bush tax cuts expire and now he wants us to believe he is still interested in increasing taxes on the wealthy with his latest promise of change he didn't believe in enough before?

His base should have turned their back on him long ago but are just starting to. Now Obama says to them, "stop complaining" and support your back stabber in chief. Now it is "change you can believe in after I get a second term".

Do you think his base is stupid enough to go along?
  13. 25 Sep '11 23:01
    I have to agree with you on that one. The DNC has called us often and I've told them over and over that until the DNC gets a backbone they will no longer get one red cent from our household.
  14. Subscriber FMF
    a.k.a. John W Booth
    26 Sep '11 00:35
    Originally posted by whodey
    I think you have the conversation confused about Ron Paul. Please at least twist my words about the correct person on topic.
    Indeed. I blame the 5 large bottles of beer at the end of an 18 hour day of work in front of the PC yesterday. I've just woken up and am taking stock. My apologies.
  15. 26 Sep '11 01:24
    Originally posted by KazetNagorra
    Bachmann... was... strong...?
    Yes. Her answers were clear and precise. I would not expect you to like them, but American conservatives will.