Please turn on javascript in your browser to play chess.
Debates Forum

Debates Forum

1. Subscriber no1marauder
    Humble and Kind
    11 Feb '18 04:46 / 2 edits
    Originally posted by @st-dominics-preview
    Nice to see you have a 21st Century view on secession. How do you view the various Soviet States that chose to leave their 'mother state'? And other European newly formed countries over the last 40 years or so? None of that nonsense this side of the pond?

Yep, stringing up, maybe on one gallows, Robert Lee, Jeff Davies and maybe John Bell ...[text shortened]... , and stick him on the end?

Or maybe Sheridan's cruel march to the sea was vindictive enough?
    Sherman to the sea; Sheridan in the Shenandoah valley. Fine work done by both; if you don't want to be exposed to the cruelties of war, don't start one. (Interesting trivia: I grew up on a street named after William Tecumseh Sherman and Sheridan Avenue was one block away).

Nathan Bedford Forrest would have been an excellent candidate though that would have been for war crimes rather than treason for his massacre of black US soldiers at Fort Pillow. The gallows would have been an appropriate penalty for all of the ones mentioned; luckily for them the US was a magnanimous country (esp. to rich white guys).

How the Euros conduct their business is their affair. As I said, their nation states are mostly the result of forced absorption and conquest not mutual compact. For the specific legality of each new nation, I'd have to do research on the one in question. AFAIK the breakup of the USSR was done by agreement; the US could have agreed to let the CSA leave by Constitutional amendment but it was under no obligation to do so and it would have been a very bad idea to let such an aggressive proposed State based on racial supremacy and bent on expansion on the US border. War would have been inevitable perhaps with a CSA allied with other States based on racial supremacy like the one in Germany in 1939.
  2. Subscriber AThousandYoung
    Just another day
    11 Feb '18 16:03
    I believe the breakup of the USSR was unilaterally done by the leadership of the USSR itself.
  3. 11 Feb '18 22:37 / 2 edits
    Originally posted by @no1marauder
    Sherman to the sea; Sheridan in the Shenandoah valley. Fine work done by both; if you don't want to be exposed to the cruelties of war, don't start one. (Interesting trivia: I grew up on a street named after William Tecumseh Sherman and Sheridan Avenue was one block away).

Nathan Bedford Forrest would have been an excellent candidate though that woul ...[text shortened]... s with a CSA allied with other States based on racial supremacy like the one in Germany in 1939.
    Didn't Sherman's funeral involve a Confederate commander who died soon afterwards because he didn't wear a hat, and said something like 'he wouldn't have worn a hat if the positions were reversed'?

Now THAT is a classy way to go!
  4. Standard member HandyAndy
    Non sum qualis eram
    11 Feb '18 22:39
    Originally posted by @athousandyoung
    I believe the breakup of the USSR was unilaterally done by the leadership of the USSR itself.
    Details, details.