Debates Forum

Debates Forum

1. Joined
    02 Jan '06
    Moves
    06 Oct '17 18:31
    I found this from another site and another poster.

HISTORY LESSON ON YOUR SOCIAL SECURITY CARD

Just in case some of you young whippersnappers (& some older ones) didn’t know this. It’s easy to check out, if you don’t believe it. Be sure and show it to your family and friends. They need a little history lesson on what’s what and it doesn’t matter whether you are Democrat or Republican. Facts are Facts.

Social Security Cards up until the 1980s expressly stated the number and card were not to be used for identification purposes.

Since nearly everyone in the United States now has a number, it became convenient to use it anyway and the NOT FOR IDENTIFICATION message was removed.

Franklin Roosevelt, a Democrat, introduced the Social Security (FICA) Program. His promises are in black, with updates in red.

1.) That participation in the Program would be Completely voluntary [No longer voluntary],

2.) That the participants would only have to pay 1% of the first $1,400 of their annual Incomes into the Program [Now 7.65% on the first $90,000, and 15% on the first $90,000 if you’re self-employed],

3.) That the money the participants elected to put into the Program would be deductible from their income for tax purposes each year [No longer tax deductible],

4.) That the money the participants put into the independent ‘Trust Fund’ rather than into the general operating fund, and therefore, would only be used to fund the Social Security Retirement Program, and no other Government program [Under Johnson the money was moved to the General Fund and Spent], and

5.) That the annuity payments to the retirees would never be taxed as income [Under Clinton & Gore up to 85% of your Social Security can be Taxed].

Since many of us have paid into FICA for years and are now receiving a Social Security check every month — and then finding that we are getting taxed on 85% of the money we paid to the Federal government to ‘put away’ — you may be interested in the following:

Q: Which Political Party took Social Security from the independent ‘Trust Fund’ and put it into the general fund so that Congress could spend it?

A: It was Lyndon Johnson and the democratically controlled House and Senate.

Q: Which Political Party eliminated the income tax deduction for Social Security (FICA) withholding?

A: The Democratic Party.

Q: Which Political Party started taxing Social Security annuities?

A: The Democratic Party, with Al Gore casting the ‘tie-breaking’ deciding vote as President of the Senate, while he was Vice President of the US

AND MY FAVORITE:

Q: Which Political Party decided to start giving annuity payments to immigrants?

A: That’s right! Jimmy Carter and the Democratic Party. Immigrants moved into this country, and at age 65, began to receive Social Security payments! The Democratic Party gave these payments to them, even though they never paid a dime into it!

Now, after violating the original contract (FICA), the Democrats turn around and tell you that the Republicans want to take your Social Security away!

And the worst part about it is uninformed citizens believe it! If enough people receive this, maybe a seed of awareness will be planted and maybe changes will evolve. Maybe not, though. Some Democrats are awfully sure of what isn’t so — but it’s worth a try. How many people can YOU send this to?

Actions speak louder than bumper stickers.
  2. Joined
    02 Jan '06
    Moves
    06 Oct '17 18:32
    This is what we are up against once government takes over anything.

Sure, it may be OK for now, but just you wait.

Like a frog in a pan of cold water that is slowly heated will it's dead.
  3. Joined
    12 Jul '08
    Moves
    06 Oct '17 19:21
    Americans love their Social Security. They couldn't live without it. Gotta have the government to pay your bills for you.
  4. Germany
    Moves
    06 Oct '17 19:23
    Originally posted by @eladar
    Americans love their Social Security. They couldn't live without it. Gotta have the government to pay your bills for you.
    Paying some taxes to not let old poor people starve to death? What madness could overcome someone to support such a policy?
  5. Joined
    12 Jul '08
    Moves
    06 Oct '17 19:33
    Originally posted by @kazetnagorra
    Paying some taxes to not let old poor people starve to death? What madness could overcome someone to support such a policy?
    Yes, old people will starve to death if they don't get SS.
  6. Germany
    Moves
    06 Oct '17 19:50
    It's what happened before Social Security.
  7. Subscribersonhouse
    Fast and Curious
    slatington, pa, usa
    Moves
    06 Oct '17 19:59
    I get the feeling when you are 70, you will collect SS and wallow in the payment.
  8. Joined
    12 Jul '08
    Moves
    06 Oct '17 20:23
    Originally posted by @kazetnagorra
    It's what happened before Social Security.
    We were much poorer back then. There are plenty of other social safety nets today.
  9. Germany
    Moves
    06 Oct '17 20:32
    We were much poorer back then. There are plenty of other social safety nets today.
    You sound nostalgic.
  10. Subscribersonhouse
    Fast and Curious
    slatington, pa, usa
    Moves
    06 Oct '17 20:38
    You mean you were there and know from personal experience? I still say you will not turn down SS when you are 70.
  11. Joined
    12 Jul '08
    Moves
    06 Oct '17 20:41
    Originally posted by @sonhouse
    You mean you were there and know from personal experience? I still say you will not turn down SS when you are 70.
    Why should I turn down my rebate, should I live that long. If I die, then the government will have just milked my paychecks for my adult life.
  12. Subscriberno1marauder
    Humble and Kind
    In the Gazette
    Moves
    07 Oct '17 03:561 edit
    Originally posted by @whodey
    I found this from another site and another poster.

HISTORY LESSON ON YOUR SOCIAL SECURITY CARD

Just in case some of you young whippersnappers (& some older ones) didn’t know this. It’s easy to check out, if you don’t believe it. Be sure and show it to your family and friends. They need a little history lesson on what’s what and it doesn’t matter wheth ...[text shortened]... orth a try. How many people can YOU send this to?

Actions speak louder than bumper stickers.
    I assume you didn't bother to check any of these claims. Unsurprisingly, they are virtually all false: http://www.factcheck.org/2009/03/fdrs-voluntary-social-security/

http://www.snopes.com/politics/socialsecurity/changes.asp
  13. Subscriberno1marauder
    Humble and Kind
    In the Gazette
    Moves
    07 Oct '17 04:05
    Not enough:

Before Social Security, in 1934, roughly one half of seniors were estimated to be poor. Most had to rely on family or friends, or go to the poor house. As ever more seniors paid into Social Security and then received retirement benefits, the poverty rate among seniors steadily declined from circa 50 percent in the Great Depression to 35 percent in 1959, 25 percent in 1970, 15 percent in 1975, and around 10 percent in 2000, where it has hovered ever since. Today, were it not for Social Security, the senior poverty rate would be 43.5 percent, and just over half (PDF) of elderly African Americans (51 percent) and Latinos (52 percent) would be poor.

https://www.nasi.org/discuss/2015/08/social-security%E2%80%99s-past-present-future

And that is with the average monthly SS benefit being a modest $1300 or so.
  14. Joined
    02 Jan '06
    Moves
    07 Oct '17 11:37
    Originally posted by @no1marauder
    I assume you didn't bother to check any of these claims. Unsurprisingly, they are virtually all false: http://www.factcheck.org/2009/03/fdrs-voluntary-social-security/

http://www.snopes.com/politics/socialsecurity/changes.asp
    Oh, I forgot, I can learn all truth through Snopes.com

My bad.

There is nothing promised to us through Social Security, much like health care. It is an ever changing entity that promises nothing that takes a great deal of our money from us. Do you find it criminal that the US government takes money paid into it by hard working Americans to be used for other things?
  15. Subscriberno1marauder
    Humble and Kind
    In the Gazette
    Moves
    07 Oct '17 11:59
    Originally posted by @whodey
    Oh, I forgot, I can learn all truth through Snopes.com

My bad.

There is nothing promised to us through Social Security, much like health care. It is an ever changing entity that promises nothing that takes a great deal of our money from us. Do you find it criminal that the US government takes money paid into it by hard working Americans to be used for other things?
    Perhaps you should actually read the links I provided.

No, I don't think it is "criminal" for the government to borrow from one of its agencies giving payable bonds in return (which have always been honored).

Social Security has paid every dime it ever promised. It will always do so, unless right wingers like yourself get your way.