Debates Forum

Debates Forum

1. Joined
    15 Oct '06
    Moves
    13 Jun '18 01:414 edits
    The following was quoted in a recent episode of "American Experience" entitled "The Chinese Exclusion Act":
    <<Examine the origin, history and impact of the 1882 law that made it illegal for Chinese workers to come to America and for Chinese nationals already here ever to become U.S. citizens. The first in a long line of acts targeting the Chinese for exclusion, it remained in force for more than 60 years.>>

No nation can afford to let go its high ideals. The founders of the American Republic asserted the
    principle that all men are created equal, and made this fair land a refuge for the whole world. Its
    manifest destiny, therefore, is to be the teacher and leader of nations in liberty. Its supremacy should be
    maintained by good faith and righteous dealing, and not by the display of selfishness and greed
    . But
    now, looking at the actions of this generation of Americans in their treatment of other races, who can
    get rid of the idea that the Nation, which Abraham Lincoln said was conceived in liberty, waxed great
    through oppression, and was really dedicated to the proposition that all men are created to prey on one
    another?

Yan Phou Lee, The Chinese Must Stay (1889)

http://global.oup.com/us/companion.websites/fdscontent/uscompanion/us/static/companion.websites/9780199338863/whittington_updata/ch_7_lee_the_chinese_must_stay.pdf

“Those who fail to learn from history are doomed to repeat it.”

You can see many of the issues from back being played out today. You can watch it in its entirety here:
    https://www.pbs.org/wgbh/americanexperience/films/chinese-exclusion-act/
  2. SubscriberTom Wolsey
    Aficionado of Prawns
    Texas
    Moves
    13 Jun '18 02:08
    Originally posted by @thinkofone
    The following was quoted in a recent episode of "American Experience" entitled "The Chinese Exclusion Act":
    <<Examine the origin, history and impact of the 1882 law that made it illegal for Chinese workers to come to America and for Chinese nationals already here ever to become U.S. citizens. The first in a long line of acts targeting the Chinese for ex ...[text shortened]... in its entirety here:
    Nice quote. So you're on board with the ideal of "American supremacy?" I'm surprised. I wonder how many bleeding heart globalist liberals will thumb down your post.
  3. Joined
    15 Oct '06
    Moves
    13 Jun '18 02:09
    Originally posted by @tom-wolsey
    Nice quote. So you're on board with the ideal of "American supremacy?" I'm surprised. I wonder how many bleeding heart globalist liberals will thumb down your post.
    Read again sparky.
  4. Zugzwang
    Moves
    13 Jun '18 02:111 edit
    <<Examine the origin, history and impact of the 1882 law that made it illegal for Chinese workers to come to America and for Chinese nationals already here ever to become U.S. citizens. The first in a long line of acts targeting the Chinese for ex ...[text shortened]... in its entirety here:
    ThinkofOne, thanks for being the only other writer here ever to show any awareness
    or concern about anti-Asian (particularly anti-Chinese) racism in the USA.

May was 'Asian American and Pacific Islander Heritage Month' in the USA, so the
    public television stations showed some documentaries about AAPI experiences.

I would recommend this earlier documentary (hosted by Bill Moyers):
    "Becoming American: The Chinese Experience"
    https://www.imdb.com/title/tt0810498/?ref_=nv_sr_1

The documentary's a bit sanitized, not citing some of the worst anti-Chinese violence in
    the USA, perhaps in order not to offend a mainstream white American audience too much.
    But it's still worth viewing.
  5. SubscriberTom Wolsey
    Aficionado of Prawns
    Texas
    Moves
    13 Jun '18 02:13
    Read again sparky.
    I did. You bolded the quote that accentuates the ideal of America's "supremacy."
  6. SubscriberTom Wolsey
    Aficionado of Prawns
    Texas
    Moves
    13 Jun '18 02:15
    Originally posted by @duchess64
    ThinkofOne, thanks for being the only other writer here ever to show any awareness

I would recommend this earlier do ...[text shortened]... rder not to offend a mainstream white American audience too much.
    I am personally, completely unaware of Chinese racism in the USA. I'm sure it exists, as do all levels of racism. But me, personally? I love Asian folks. I have always had a natural and high esteem for Asians, Chinese in particular. And everyone I've ever known in my entire life has--as far as I can tell--felt the same way.
  7. Joined
    15 Oct '06
    Moves
    13 Jun '18 02:164 edits
    I did. You bolded the quote that accentuates the ideal of America's "supremacy."
    Try reading it in context sparky.

Focus on the following:
    <<No nation can afford to let go its high ideals. The founders of the American Republic asserted the principle that all men are created equal, and made this fair land a refuge for the whole world. Its manifest destiny, therefore, is to be the teacher and leader of nations in liberty.>>
  8. Joined
    15 Oct '06
    Moves
    13 Jun '18 02:19

I would recommend this earlier do ...[text shortened]... rder not to offend a mainstream white American audience too much.
    Thanks for the tip.
  9. Joined
    15 Oct '06
    Moves
    13 Jun '18 02:243 edits
    I am personally, completely unaware of Chinese racism in the USA. I'm sure it exists, as do all levels of racism. But me, personally? I love Asian folks. I have always had a natural and high esteem for Asians, Chinese in particular. And everyone I've ever known in my entire life has--as far as I can tell--felt the same way.
    I love Asian folks

As I recall, one of Trump's initial defenses to charges that he was racist against Mexicans went something like this:
    "I love Mexicans. I've made a lot of money off of Mexicans"
  10. Zugzwang
    Moves
    13 Jun '18 02:353 edits
    Tom Wolsey seems ignorant of infamous incidents such as the killing of Vincent Chin.

https://www.imdb.com/title/tt0096440/?ref_=fn_tt_tt_1
    "Who Killed Vincent Chin?"

"This film recounts the murder of Vincent Chin, an automotive engineer mistaken as
    Japanese who was slain by an assembly line worker who blamed him for the competition
    by the Japanese auto makers that were threatening his job. It then recounts how that
    murderer escaped justice in the court system."
    --Kenneth Chisholm

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Murder_of_Vincent_Chin

Vincent Chin was a young Chinese American, who was chased down and brutally
    beaten to death by two white men, who were convicted only of manslaughter.
    The white judge praised the killers' moral characters and sentenced them to no time in prison,
    probation, and fines of 3000 USD each (plus court costs), payable in easy installments.

The killers became known as 'folk heroes' to more than a few white people in their community.
    Reportedly, a baseball bat (another bat was a murder weapon) proudly signed by the
    killers was sold at auction to raise money for their legal expenses.

Vincent Chin's heartbroken mother, who had intended to live out her life in the USA, declared
    that there was no justice in the USA and returned to China (which she had left many years ago),
    dying there alone.

When I have posted this story in RHP, no one has ever expressed any sympathy for Vincent Chin or his mother.
    As I recall, some writer(s) implied that the US justice system worked properly in
    sentencing the two white men who killed him to no time in prison, probation, and small fines.
  11. Behind the scenes
    Moves
    13 Jun '18 02:52
    I wonder how many bleeding heart globalist liberals will thumb down your post.

So far, none. I see 3 thumbs up. Curses, foiled again!😀
  12. SubscriberTom Wolsey
    Aficionado of Prawns
    Texas
    Moves
    13 Jun '18 03:12
    [b] I love Asian folks

As I recall, one of Trump's initial defenses to charges that he was racist against Mexicans went something like this:
    "I love Mexicans. I've made a lot of money off of Mexicans"[/b]
    So what you're saying is, because Trump seemed disingenuous in his professed love of Mexicans, then I am an abject racist liar and I hate the Chinese. Does that about sum it up?
  13. SubscriberTom Wolsey
    Aficionado of Prawns
    Texas
    Moves
    13 Jun '18 03:14
    Tom Wolsey seems ignorant of infamous incidents such as the killing of Vincent Chin.

https://www.imdb.com/title/tt0096440/?ref_=fn_tt_tt_1
    "Who Killed Vincent Chin?"

"This film recounts the murder of Vincent Chin, an automotive engineer mistaken as
    Japanese who was slain by an assembly line worker who blamed him for the competition
    by the Japane ...[text shortened]...
    sentencing the two white men who killed him to no time in prison, probation, and small fines.
    Yes, I was ignorant of the incident. But that doesn't discount what I said. I spoke of my personal life experience. I've lived in the deep South, the Midwest, and now live in Texas. Not one person I have ever known in my entire life including myself of course, has exhibited even the slightest genuine racism toward the Chinese.
  14. SubscriberTom Wolsey
    Aficionado of Prawns
    Texas
    Moves
    13 Jun '18 03:20
    Try reading it in context sparky.

Focus on the following:
    <<[b]No nation can afford to let go its high ideals.
    The founders of the American Republic asserted the principle that all men are created equal, and made this fair land a refuge for the whole world. Its manifest destiny, therefore, is to be the teacher and leader of nations in liberty.>>[/b]
    I read it again. The author of the quote didn't exhibit an inclination one way or the other that America is supreme in any way. So I get the context.

However, you chose to bring attention to the specific words, declaring America supreme. I called it into question.

Perhaps you'd be better off explaining why you chose and accentuated those specific words in your presentation. That would put to rest any suspicions that you think of America as supreme in some way. By responding "read it again Sparky," all you're doing is exacerbating the problem because you are clearly making no effort--though given multiple chances--to eliminate the possibility.
  15. Zugzwang
    Moves
    13 Jun '18 04:311 edit
    Yes, I was ignorant of the incident. But that doesn't discount what I said. I spoke of my personal life experience. I've lived in the deep South, the Midwest, and now live in Texas. Not one person I have ever known in my entire life including myself of course, has exhibited even the slightest genuine racism toward the Chinese.
    Does Tom Wolsey believe that Vincent Chin's murder and the judge's
    extremely lenient sentencing of his killers were not influenced by racism?

Finnegan likes to say that fish don't see water. Likewise, white people
    who grow up in a racist culture usually don't perceive racism because
    it's completely normal to them.

Every adult of Chinese heritage who I know has lived in the USA has
    experienced racism, ranging from popular stereotyping to deadly violence.