Please turn on javascript in your browser to play chess.
Debates Forum

Debates Forum

1. 29 Apr '13 23:12 / 5 edits
    Could the USA become Islamified?

I think there are some republicans who if they understood Islam enough, might find they like it too much - (just like in the tv show)

What are the chances of this happening?
  2. Subscriber FMF
    a.k.a. John W Booth
    30 Apr '13 00:16 / 1 edit
    0.6% of U.S. population is Muslim (2007)

http://www.pewforum.org/Topics/Religious-Affiliation/Muslim/

http://religions.pewforum.org/reports

I think there are some republicans who if they understood Islam enough, might find they like it too much - (just like in the tv show) What are the chances of this happening?

What other insights into American Muslims did you get from watching Homeland? Which series, 1 or 2, did more to prompt you to ask the question "Could the USA become Islamified?"
  3. Subscriber AThousandYoung
    It's only business
    30 Apr '13 00:42
    Originally posted by e4chris

I think there are some republicans who if they understood Islam enough, might find they like it too much - (just like in the tv show)

None. Even if there were a People of the Book upswing allying conservative Christians Jews and Muslums against the rest of us the USA would remain diverse. The USA is a place where everyone is represented and so we have Communists, Hindus, Odinists, Witches, Voudun, secular patriots, etc. No one culture will ever dominate us.
  4. 30 Apr '13 01:17
    Originally posted by AThousandYoung
    None. Even if there were a People of the Book upswing allying conservative Christians Jews and Muslums against the rest of us the USA would remain diverse. The USA is a place where everyone is represented and so we have Communists, Hindus, Odinists, Witches, Voudun, secular patriots, etc. No one culture will ever dominate us.
    Islam has more of a lure then people think,

FMF people might be drawn to it for a lack of bull compared to the secular world
  5. Subscriber FMF
    a.k.a. John W Booth
    30 Apr '13 01:20
    Islam has more of a lure then people think,

FMF people might be drawn to it for a lack of bull compared to the secular world
    What "lack of bull" would that be?
  6. 30 Apr '13 01:21
    Originally posted by FMF
    What "lack of bull" would that be?
    lack of who?
  7. 30 Apr '13 01:26 / 1 edit
    I remember during the 2nd gulf war there was lots of anti muslim propoganda in the UK press and tv (if you changed muslim for jew or black the articles would be racist). It had an odd effect on me; I read a book on islam, and suprisingly I found it a lot more sane then the papers I was reading, it made us look bad.

Homeland is interesting because in the story it didn't take a big push to shift an ex army american to a fundemantalist...
  8. Subscriber FMF
    a.k.a. John W Booth
    30 Apr '13 01:29
    Homeland is interesting because in the story it didn't take a big push to shift an ex army american to a fundemantalist...
    It was fortunate for the script writers that he did turn into a terrorist because the series might not have been a hit if he hadn't.
  9. 30 Apr '13 01:34

The Mexicans are more Catholic than Islam. I would say that is more likely.
  10. 30 Apr '13 01:58
    Originally posted by joe beyser
    True, but in homeland you have a muslim convert and all the politicians think he is there best man! Even though he says he's not.
  11. 30 Apr '13 02:24

Islam has a lot of appeal for statists. It is a collectivist mentality where the goal is a collectivist utopia where everyone ends up Muslim and under Sharia law.

Islam is growing by leaps and bounds in this era of collectivism, especially when collectivists like Obama support movements like the Arab Spring.

As a result, I would say that Islam is on the upswing. How far will it penatrate the US? That remains to be seen, but just remember than it may not matter if they can bring the US to her knees.
  12. Subscriber AThousandYoung
    It's only business
    30 Apr '13 02:42 / 1 edit
    Oh nos Catholics gonna getya

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/File:Ganges1876.jpg
  13. 01 May '13 05:05
    Oh nos Catholics gonna getya

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/File:Ganges1876.jpg
    Heck no they aint gona get me. I learnt spanish in high school and am ready to hand over the country to em. It will be very nice and refreshing to smash pinatas in the back yard of a birthday in lieu of running water and a sewage system.
  14. Subscriber AThousandYoung
    It's only business
    01 May '13 05:25
    Heck no they aint gona get me. I learnt spanish in high school and am ready to hand over the country to em. It will be very nice and refreshing to smash pinatas in the back yard of a birthday in lieu of running water and a sewage system.
    Romans invented running water amigo
  15. Standard member wolfgang59
    Infidel
    01 May '13 08:57
    Romans invented running water amigo
    The Minoans had it.

visit Knossos.