Debates Forum

Debates Forum

1. Zugzwang
    Moves
    07 Jan '19 23:262 edits
    https://www.theguardian.com/us-news/2019/jan/07/birmingham-civil-rights-institute-rescinds-honor-angela-davis

"Birmingham Civil Rights Institute under fire for rescinding Angela Davis honor"

"The Birmingham Civil Rights Institute in Alabama has come under fire after
    it rescinded a decision to honor the activist and academic Angela Davis.
    Davis, a Birmingham native, has spent decades fighting for civil rights.
    She was an active member of the Black Panther party, the Student
    Nonviolent Coordinating Committee and the US communist party.
    She is now an outspoken supporter of the Boycott, Divestment and
    Sanctions movement that protests Israel’s treatment of Palestinians.
    It is this ideological affinity that appears to have inspired the
    revocation of the BCRI honor."

"Marc Lamont Hill, a CNN contributor who was released after making
    pro-Palestinian remarks in a November speech, called the decision “shameful”."

The BCRI evidently succumbed to political pressure from fanatical
    supporters of Israel who wage an all-out war to silence critics of Israel.

After making (belated) criticisms condemning Israel's apartheid-like policies
    oppressing the Palestinians, former US President Jimmy Carter seems to have
    become a kind of pariah in the strongly pro-Israeli Democratic Party.
  2. Behind the scenes
    Moves
    08 Jan '19 00:291 edit
    @duchess64 said
    https://www.theguardian.com/us-news/2019/jan/07/birmingham-civil-rights-institute-rescinds-honor-angela-davis

"Birmingham Civil Rights Institute under fire for rescinding Angela Davis honor"

"The Birmingham Civil Rights Institute in Alabama has come under fire after
    it rescinded a decision to honor the activist and academic Angela Davis.
    Davis, a Birmingham native, ...[text shortened]... nt Jimmy Carter seems to have
    become a kind of pariah in the strongly pro-Israeli Democratic Party.
    I don't have an opinion of Angela Davis one way or the other. I remember her back in the 60's and 70's as a civil rights advocate, along with hundreds of other civil rights advocates.

As far as Jimmy Carter goes, he was not a very good President. Though he was rather naive and tried to please everyone, very few would call him a "pariah"
  3. Zugzwang
    Moves
    08 Jan '19 00:392 edits
    @mchill said
    I don't have an opinion of Angela Davis one way or the other. I remember her back in the 60's and 70's as a civil rights advocate, along with hundreds of other civil rights advocates.

As far as Jimmy Carter goes, he was not a very good President. Though he was rather naive and tried to please everyone, very few would call him a "pariah"
    Mchill shows (at best) his abysmal reading comprehension.

"As far as Jimmy Carter goes, he was not a very good President. Though he was
    rather naive and tried to please everyone, very few would call him a "pariah""
    --Mchill

Of course, I did NOT write (as Mchill apparently believes) that Jimmy Carter was
    a 'pariah' WHEN he was US President. I wrote that, on account of his criticisms
    of Israel, Jimmy Carter has become a 'kind of pariah' AFTERWARD in recent years.

Whereas former US Presidents such as Bill Clinton and Barack Obama are routinely
    invited to speak at Democratic conventions or other functions, as far as I know,
    Jimmy Carter has not received such invitations for a long time. I suspect that supporters
    of Israel would be offended if the Democratic Party appeared to embrace Jimmy Carter.
    I don't know of current Democratic politicians soliciting endorsements from Jimmy Carter.
  4. Subscriberno1marauder
    Humble and Kind
    In the Gazette
    Moves
    08 Jan '19 03:10
    @duchess64 said

--Mchill

Of course, I did NOT write (as Mchill apparently believes) that Jimmy Carter was
    a 'pariah' WHEN he was US President. I wrote that, on accou ...[text shortened]... y Carter.
    I don't know of current Democratic politicians soliciting endorsements from Jimmy Carter.
    Carter did endorse Stacey Abrams for Governor of Georgia in last November's election (which she narrowly lost). She said she was "honored" to receive the endorsement. https://www.usnews.com/news/politics/articles/2018-08-14/jimmy-carter-backs-democrat-for-georgia-governor
  5. Behind the scenes
    Moves
    08 Jan '19 03:13
    @duchess64 said

--Mchill

a 'pariah' WHEN he was US President. I wrote that, on accou ...[text shortened]... y Carter.

Everyone here, including those with law degrees have "abysmal reading comprehension" according to Duchess. It seems I'm in distinguished company. 🙂
  6. Zugzwang
    Moves
    08 Jan '19 23:47
    @no1marauder said
    Carter did endorse Stacey Abrams for Governor of Georgia in last November's election (which she narrowly lost). She said she was "honored" to receive the endorsement. https://www.usnews.com/news/politics/articles/2018-08-14/jimmy-carter-backs-democrat-for-georgia-governor
    Jimmy Carter may still have many loyalists in his native state of Georgia.
    On a national level, however, he has been unfairly (in my view) vilified as anti-Semitic
    by some supporters of Israel. And that kind of vilification seems enough to deter
    most Democratic politicians (outside Georgia) from appearing too close to him.
  7. Zugzwang
    Moves
    09 Jan '19 00:57
    https://www.theguardian.com/us-news/2019/jan/08/angela-davis-stunned-rescind-civil-rights-award

"Angela Davis 'stunned' by decision to rescind civil rights award"