Please turn on javascript in your browser to play chess.
Debates Forum

Debates Forum

  1. Standard member vivify
    rain
    21 Nov '16 19:41 / 2 edits
    This story is a few months old, but seems to have slipped through the cracks due to the circus of an election we had:

    http://www.huffingtonpost.com/entry/lgbt-workplace-discrimination-ndaa_us_573cd273e4b0aee7b8e8e176

    WASHINGTON ― The House passed a massive National Defense Authorization Act late Wednesday, and tucked inside of it, a provision that would allow federal contractors to fire employees for being lesbian, gay, bisexual or transgender.

    The language, slipped into the bill by Rep. Steve Russell (R-Okla.), would dismantle President Barack Obama’s 2014 executive action that makes it illegal for government contractors to fire or harass employees based on their sexual orientation or gender identity. In its place, Russell’s provision applies a broad exemption that would open the door to contractors discriminating against LGBT people based on that contractor’s religious beliefs.

    The government awards more than 2,000 contracts to religious organizations every year. Russell’s measure would affect every grant, contract and purchase order made by every federal agency, including contracts with hospitals, homeless shelters, colleges, schools, domestic violence shelters, and adoption agencies.

    The House passed the 1,299-page bill, 277 to 147, with 142 Democrats and five Republicans opposed.
  2. Subscriber no1marauder
    It's Nice to Be Nice
    21 Nov '16 20:08
    Originally posted by vivify
    This story is a few months old, but seems to have slipped through the cracks due to the circus of an election we had:

    http://www.huffingtonpost.com/entry/lgbt-workplace-discrimination-ndaa_us_573cd273e4b0aee7b8e8e176

    WASHINGTON ― The House passed a massive National Defense Authorization Act late Wednesday, and tucked inside of it, a provision that would ...[text shortened]... e House passed the 1,299-page bill, 277 to 147, with 142 Democrats and five Republicans opposed.
    It's six months old and the bill has been stalled in Congress so the provision is not likely to take effect (in this Congress anyway): http://www.snopes.com/house-passes-bill-letting-government-contractors-fire-lgbt-people/
  3. 21 Nov '16 20:13
    It will be interesting to see how many Obama dictates remain after he is out of office.
  4. Subscriber AThousandYoung
    Poor Filipov :,(
    21 Nov '16 22:12
    Originally posted by Eladar
    It will be interesting to see how many Obama dictates remain after he is out of office.
    Monroe's Doctrine is still in place, as is Lincoln's Emancipation Proclamation.
  5. 21 Nov '16 23:08 / 1 edit
    Originally posted by AThousandYoung
    Monroe's Doctrine is still in place, as is Lincoln's Emancipation Proclamation.
    Yes and so is Clinton's proclamation kicking the American people out of much of public land.

    Lincoln's proclamation only freed slaves in states in rebellion not all slaves.
  6. Subscriber KingDavid403
    King David
    21 Nov '16 23:10 / 2 edits
    Originally posted by Eladar
    Yes and so is Clinton's proclamation kicking the American people out of much of public land.

    Lincoln's proclamation only freed slaves in states in rebellion not all slaves.
    BS, Lincoln's proclamation was a national law! LIAR!
  7. 21 Nov '16 23:17 / 1 edit
    Originally posted by KingDavid403
    BS, Lincoln's proclamation was a national law! LIAR!
    Look it up ignorant libtard.

    Now for your homework assignment, how was slavery outlawed in the US? Hint look up constitutional amendment.
  8. Subscriber no1marauder
    It's Nice to Be Nice
    21 Nov '16 23:19
    Originally posted by KingDavid403
    BS, Lincoln's proclamation was a national law! LIAR!
    I'm sorry but Eladar is actually right this time:

    President Abraham Lincoln issued the Emancipation Proclamation on January 1, 1863, as the nation approached its third year of bloody civil war. The proclamation declared "that all persons held as slaves" within the rebellious states "are, and henceforward shall be free."
    Despite this expansive wording, the Emancipation Proclamation was limited in many ways. It applied only to states that had seceded from the Union, leaving slavery untouched in the loyal border states. It also expressly exempted parts of the Confederacy that had already come under Northern control.

    https://www.archives.gov/exhibits/featured-documents/emancipation-proclamation
  9. Subscriber KingDavid403
    King David
    21 Nov '16 23:22
    Originally posted by Eladar
    Look it up ignorant libtard.
    I am not a liberal Retard. My gun collection proves it.
  10. Subscriber KingDavid403
    King David
    21 Nov '16 23:23
    Originally posted by no1marauder
    I'm sorry but Eladar is actually right this time:

    President Abraham Lincoln issued the Emancipation Proclamation on January 1, 1863, as the nation approached its third year of bloody civil war. The proclamation declared "that all persons held as slaves" within the rebellious states "are, and henceforward shall be free."
    Despite this expansive wordin ...[text shortened]... thern control.

    https://www.archives.gov/exhibits/featured-documents/emancipation-proclamation
    Okay, so when did all Blacks become free as they should be?
  11. 21 Nov '16 23:25
    Originally posted by KingDavid403
    I am not a liberal Retard. My gun collection proves it.
    You are a libtard guns or no guns your religious beliefs are proif enough.
  12. 21 Nov '16 23:26 / 1 edit
    Originally posted by KingDavid403
    Okay, so when did all Blacks become free as they should be?
    That was your homework assignment

    Btw not all blacks were slaves even before the civil war
  13. Subscriber KingDavid403
    King David
    21 Nov '16 23:27
    Originally posted by Eladar
    You are a libtard guns or no guns your religious beliefs are proif enough.
    lol proif? Idiot.
  14. Subscriber KingDavid403
    King David
    21 Nov '16 23:27
    Originally posted by Eladar
    That was your homework assignment
    I do not take homework assignments from a puss face as you boy.
  15. Subscriber no1marauder
    It's Nice to Be Nice
    21 Nov '16 23:28
    Originally posted by KingDavid403
    Okay, so when did all Blacks become free as they should be?
    After the 13th Amendment was ratified by the required number of States in December, 1865. http://www.history.com/this-day-in-history/13th-amendment-ratified