Debates Forum

Debates Forum

1. Joined
    07 Dec '05
    Moves
    10 May '18 12:35
    The DPRK wants a peace treaty, has for a long time. If an agreement takes place with the USA it would certainly include a peace treaty.
    Now that the USA backed out of the Iran agreement it gives the impression that the USA doesn't keep their word. However, the agreement with Iran is not a peace treaty. If Iran had a peace treaty instead, would that have been binding enough to have made the deal stick?

What happens when a country violates a peace treaty? Is there any punishment for it? If so, how do you effectively punish the most powerful country in the world?
  2. Joined
    07 Feb '09
    Moves
    10 May '18 12:41
    Originally posted by @metal-brain
    The DPRK wants a peace treaty, has for a long time. If an agreement takes place with the USA it would certainly include a peace treaty.
    Now that the USA backed out of the Iran agreement it gives the impression that the USA doesn't keep their word. However, the agreement with Iran is not a peace treaty. If Iran had a peace treaty instead, would that hav ...[text shortened]... punishment for it? If so, how do you effectively punish the most powerful country in the world?
    I saw a documentary where there was an interview with a NK citizen.

2 main points, driven by state propaganda, came out.
    1- America would be turned into a sea of fire.
    2- South Korea would be liberated.

While the first point is hyperbole, we should be mindful of the 2nd point.

This is driven into the psyche of the citizens by the state.
    And this is the reason the Korean war started in the first place.
  3. Joined
    05 Nov '06
    Moves
    10 May '18 13:02
    Now that the USA backed out of the Iran agreement it gives the impression that the USA doesn't keep their word. However, the agreement with Iran is not a peace treaty. If Iran had a peace treaty instead, would that hav ...[text shortened]... punishment for it? If so, how do you effectively punish the most powerful country in the world?
    the US did not enter into any sort of treaty with iran. Obama bypassed congress (the votes wouldn't have been there). That is why Trump can undo his mistakes. The liberals cannot see how bad a deal this is. 100% TRUSTING iran to abide by the rules with ZERO oversight.
  4. Germany
    Moves
    10 May '18 13:08
    Originally posted by @mott-the-hoople
    the US did not enter into any sort of treaty with iran. Obama bypassed congress (the votes wouldn't have been there). That is why Trump can undo his mistakes. The liberals cannot see how bad a deal this is. 100% TRUSTING iran to abide by the rules with ZERO oversight.
    The deal stipulated there would be oversight, and every expert and observer agreed Iran was abiding by the terms of the deal.
  5. Joined
    05 Nov '06
    Moves
    10 May '18 13:23
    Originally posted by @kazetnagorra
    The deal stipulated there would be oversight, and every expert and observer agreed Iran was abiding by the terms of the deal.
    https://www.jpost.com/Middle-East/Military-sites-not-open-for-inspection-under-nuclear-deal-senior-Iranian-army-official-says-396763
  6. SubscriberPonderable
    chemist
    Linkenheim
    Moves
    10 May '18 13:37
    That ZERO is about the IAEO inspections?
  7. SubscriberSuzianne
    Misfit Queen
    Isle of Misfit Toys
    Moves
    10 May '18 19:33
    You know, lying doesn't help your case.
  8. Joined
    29 Dec '08
    Moves
    10 May '18 19:33
    Originally posted by @kazetnagorra
    Yes but if it makes Trump look bad it’s fake news.
  9. Joined
    07 Dec '05
    Moves
    10 May '18 20:25
    Originally posted by @mghrn55
    I saw a documentary where there was an interview with a NK citizen.

2 main points, driven by state propaganda, came out.
    1- America would be turned into a sea of fire.
    2- South Korea would be liberated.

While the first point is hyperbole, we should be mindful of the 2nd point.

This is driven into the psyche of the citizens by the state.
    And this is the reason the Korean war started in the first place.
    What is your source of information?
  10. Zugzwang
    Moves
    10 May '18 20:261 edit
    "Now that the USA backed out of the Iran agreement it gives the impression that the USA doesn't keep their word."
    --Metal Brain

Many native American ('Indian' ) tribes concluded long ago that the USA often does not honor its treaties.

I would add that the DPRK and the USA cannot negotiate a *bilateral* peace treaty.
    A peace treaty must include major combatants such as the ROK and China.
  11. Joined
    07 Dec '05
    Moves
    10 May '18 20:29
    Originally posted by @duchess64
    "Now that the USA backed out of the Iran agreement it gives the impression that the USA doesn't keep their word."
    --Metal Brain

Many native American ('Indian' ) tribes concluded long ago that the USA often does not honor its treaties.
    I pointed that out to you in another thread. Why are you pretending this is new info?
  12. Zugzwang
    Moves
    10 May '18 20:331 edit
    I pointed that out to you in another thread. Why are you pretending this is new info?
    Does Metal Brain fantasize that, as a historian who knows enough about US wrongdoing,
    I only recently learned (from MetalBrain!) that the USA often does not honor its treaties?

MetalBrain's not necessarily wrong, but I don't take very seriously anything that he writes.
  13. Joined
    07 Dec '05
    Moves
    10 May '18 20:36
    Originally posted by @duchess64
    Does Metal Brain fantasize that, as a historian who knows enough about US wrongdoing,
    I only recently learned (from MetalBrain!) that the USA often does not honor its treaties?

MetalBrain's not necessarily wrong, but I don't take very seriously anything that he writes.
    If you knew about it before I told you it makes no difference. Why are you pretending you are presenting new information to me?
  14. Zugzwang
    Moves
    10 May '18 20:392 edits
    If you knew about it before I told you it makes no difference.
    Why are you pretending you are presenting new information to me?
    This is a public forum. My posts are not only intended for MetalBrain, but for everyone.
    Metal Brain should attempt to become less egocentric (and less paranoid).
  15. Joined
    02 Jan '06
    Moves
    10 May '18 20:51
    Ask an American Indian.

Treaties are not made to be kept. No, they are just symbolic gestures of international good will that is nonexistent, but politically expedient at that time.