Please turn on javascript in your browser to play chess.
Debates Forum

Debates Forum

1. 30 Jun '17 22:48
    https://www.theguardian.com/commentisfree/2017/apr/05/donald-trump-pussygate-bully-women

"Vulgar misogyny didn’t harm Donald Trump – it helped him."
    --Viv Groskop

"But six months on, and liberals still don’t get why the “pussy” moment
    was not instrumental in raising questions about Trump. In fact it had the
    opposite effect. It galvanised his support. It boosted his campaign.
    It played well to the base, as they like to say."

"Trump supporters fought back in their exhausting hundreds.
    Their reasoning was fascinating. They had no problem with the “pussy” thing.
    For them it was not a comment on Trump’s vulgarity or misogyny.
    It was a comment on how “easy” women are. They didn’t focus, as liberals did,
    on the words “grab them by the pussy”. They heard the previous quote:
    “When you’re a star, they let you do it.” It was a comment about people
    who have got it coming and who have had it coming for a long time.
    In other words, a bully’s charter.

How prescient the words “grab them by the pussy” turned out to be.
    Now it’s obvious that “pussy” stood for so much more than women.
    It stood for screwing things over generally. And seemingly against all odds,
    the man who spoke them turned out to be absolutely right. You can
    metaphorically grab them by the pussy. They will still vote for you.
    They will let you screw them. It’s not just about women, it’s about anyone
    who gets in your way or doesn’t let you do what you want. The “pussy” thing was
    a warning that this would be about vengeance. A lot of people like that kind of talk."

"We need to understand it so that we can call it out for what it is.
    It was not (only) about misogyny. It was about picking a side.
    Do you want to stand with the bully? Or do you want to be bullied?
    We all know from school that lots of people would much rather stand with the bully."
  2. 30 Jun '17 22:52 / 1 edit
    https://www.theguardian.com/commentisfree/2017/jun/29/trump-insults-to-women-mika-brzezinski-misogny

"Trump loves attacking women's looks. And America rewards him for it."
    --Arwa Mahdawi

"In the morning, Trump tweets something unhinged and/or misogynistic. Then a slew of
    commentators express their shock, even though Trump became president on a platform
    of unhinged misogyny. In the midst of all this, a member of the president’s band of
    female apologists (Melania, Ivanka, Sarah Huckabee Sanders, and Kellyanne Conway)
    is summoned to jump to Trump’s defense."

"You want to know what’s truly shocking? The fact that, ultimately, Trump’s misogyny doesn’t hurt
    him at all; if anything it helps him. Sure there may be some short-lived outrage about his
    comments but let’s all remember how quickly the “grab them by the pussy” incident was forgotten.

Trump was elected president even after he was heard boasting about how liked to grab
    women without their consent – what’s more, 53% of white women voted for him.
    And if Trump were to run for president again tomorrow I have the feeling that 53% of
    white women would vote for him again. Misogyny runs deep in America and Trump has
    always used that to his advantage."

"Trump’s latest comments aren’t an aberration in America. The fact that the most powerful man
    in the country is tweeting these things is a sad reflection that misogyny is the status quo."
  3. Standard member wolfgang59
    Infidel
    01 Jul '17 08:02
    Sadly I have to agree that much of that rant is true.
    How can Trump still have so many supporters?
    In Europe he would be "dead in the water"
  4. Standard member shavixmir
    Guppy poo
    01 Jul '17 08:54
    Oh, you are quite right. That sort of mad in your face tweetering against women would not be accepted from a European politician.

However, sexism and mysogny are just as rife here in Europe as in the States. It's just a lot more subtle.

(Seemingly... I mean Trump really is a beacon of moronity on everything he has an incomprehensible view on).
  5. 01 Jul '17 09:17
    Originally posted by wolfgang59
    Sadly I have to agree that much of that rant is true.
    How can Trump still have so many supporters?
    In Europe he would be "dead in the water"
    Remember Silvio Berlusconi?

Believe it or not, but his party is actually mounting a comeback and performed well in several recent local elections.

But yeah, in Northern/Western Europe people like Trump (Le Pen, Petry, Farage, Wilders) are at the fringe. And even then they aren't nearly as much of an embarrassment as Trump.
  6. Subscriber Suzianne
    Misfit Queen
    01 Jul '17 12:47
    Originally posted by Duchess64
    https://www.theguardian.com/commentisfree/2017/apr/05/donald-trump-pussygate-bully-women

--Viv Groskop

opposite effect. It galvanised his sup ...[text shortened]... bullied?
    We all know from school that lots of people would much rather stand with the bully."
    Unfortunately, I think you're right.
  7. Subscriber Suzianne
    Misfit Queen
    01 Jul '17 12:56
    https://www.theguardian.com/commentisfree/2017/jun/29/trump-insults-to-women-mika-brzezinski-misogny

"Trump loves attacking women's looks. And America rewards him for it."
    --Arwa Mahdawi

"In the morning, Trump tweets something unhinged and/or misogynistic. Then a slew of
    commentators express their shock, even though Trump became president on a p ...[text shortened]... n
    in the country is tweeting these things is a sad reflection that misogyny is the status quo."
    I think white people of both genders voting for Trump and putting all their eggs in one basket with him is the result of Fox News and other conservative outlets broadcasting their non-stop hate of Obama and all things liberal for the last eight years. Every day, I see the unreasoning hate of Republicans for all things even the slightest bit liberal. Arizona is about as Republican as it gets, and they've swallowed the Fox News bait hook, line and sinker. And I haven't seen nearly enough people who lean to the right disavowing Trump. They just repeat their conservative memes and hunker down and hope all the resistance eventually just "goes away".
  8. 01 Jul '17 18:50 / 1 edit
    Originally posted by shavixmir to Wolfgang59
    Oh, you are quite right. That sort of mad in your face tweetering against women
    would not be accepted from a European politician.

However, sexism and mysogny are just as rife here in Europe as in the States.
    It's just a lot more subtle.

(Seemingly... I mean Trump really is a beacon of moronity on everything he has an incomprehensible view on).
    Sexism's how much more subtle in Europe?

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/worldnews/europe/germany/9834441/German-sexism-row-as-politician-told-journalist-she-could-easily-fill-a-dirndl.html

"German sexism row as politician 'told journalist she could easily fill a dirndl'
    The junior partner in Angela Merkel's coalition government has become embroiled in a sexism row
    after a senior party member was accused of making "lewd" comments about a journalist's breasts."

"Rainer Bruderle, parliamentary leader of the Free Democrats, the junior partner in the
    German coalition, was accused of telling Laura Himmelreich, a reporter from Stern
    magazine, that she could "easily fill a dirndl", a traditional low-cut Bavarian dress."
  9. Subscriber mchill
    Infinitorum
    03 Jul '17 13:51 / 1 edit

--Viv Groskop

opposite effect. It galvanised his sup ...[text shortened]... bullied?
    Donald Trump won the 2016 election, not because of his popular support (because he didn't have much) but because Hillary Clinton was a sorry excuse for a candidate. Though her mishandling of emails was over hyped by the right wing, she was being held to a higher standard than Trump, and justifiably so. Sec Clinton graduated from one of the finest law schools in America, she had to know using her private email in this way was not wise, but did she stop with a few e mails? No, she kept right on doing it. Not smart! Frankly I think Sec. Clinton would have been a better president than Donald Trump, but I don't think highly of either one of them. Hopefully the election of 2020 will give us some better choices.
  10. Standard member Ghost of a Duke
    Zen Master
    03 Jul '17 15:22
    Originally posted by mchill

Clinton would have been a better president than Donald Trump, but I don't think highly of either one of them. Hopefully the election of 2020 will give us some better choices.
    If it's going to be another actor, let's hope it's Tom Hanks (rather than Adam Sandler).
  11. 03 Jul '17 19:43 / 1 edit
    Donald Trump won the 2016 election, not because of his popular support (because he didn't have much) but because Hillary Clinton was a sorry excuse for a candidate. Though her mishandling of emails was over hyped by the right wing, she was being held to a higher standard than Trump, and justifiably so. Sec Clinton graduated from one of the finest law schools ...[text shortened]... k highly of either one of them. Hopefully the election of 2020 will give us some better choices.
    First of all, the 2016 US Presidential election already has been amply discussed in other threads.

"Donald Trump won the 2016 election, not because of his popular support (because he didn't have much)..."
    --Mchill

Donald Trump was unpopular among non-whites, but most white men and most white women voted for him.
    So does Mchill believe that most white people always know best?

Mchill exaggerates (as common with his claims) Donald Trump's unpopularity.
    In fact, Donald Trump won 46.1% of the popular vote, which was slightly less than
    Hillary Clinton's 48.1% but enough to show that he was *not* very unpopular.
    In the 1860 US Presidential election, Abraham Lincoln won with 39.8% of the popular vote.

Even after the 2016 election, Mchill argued that everyone should 'give a year', presumably
    without opposition or criticism, to President Trump and allow him to implement his vision for the USA.
  12. Subscriber mchill
    Infinitorum
    03 Jul '17 21:58
    First of all, the 2016 US Presidential election already has been amply discussed in other threads.

"Donald Trump won the 2016 election, not because of his popular support (because he didn't have much)..."
    --Mchill

Donald Trump was unpopular among non-whites, but most white men and most white women voted for him.
    So does Mchill believe that most wh ...[text shortened]... t opposition or criticism, to President Trump and allow him to implement his vision for the USA.
    Even after the 2016 election, Mchill argued that everyone should 'give a year'

100% incorrect Duchess. I said that I (meaning myself) would give Trump a year, before deciding. I was not suggesting anything for anyone else.
  13. 04 Jul '17 01:18
    Even after the 2016 election, Mchill argued that everyone should 'give a year'

100% incorrect Duchess. I said that I (meaning myself) would give Trump a year, before deciding. I was not suggesting anything for anyone else.
    So Mchill now claims that he was not encouraging anyone else to follow his example?
  14. Standard member shavixmir
    Guppy poo
    05 Jul '17 08:36
    Sexism's how much more subtle in Europe?

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/worldnews/europe/germany/9834441/German-sexism-row-as-politician-told-journalist-she-could-easily-fill-a-dirndl.html

"German sexism row as politician 'told journalist she could easily fill a dirndl'
    The junior partner in Angela Merkel's coalition government has become embroile ...[text shortened]... Stern
    magazine, that she could "easily fill a dirndl", a traditional low-cut Bavarian dress."
    You seem to have missed the point.

Anyhoo... could said reporter fill a Bavarian beer glass?
  15. Standard member sonhouse
    Fast and Curious
    05 Jul '17 14:44

--Mchill

So does Mchill believe that most wh ...[text shortened]... t opposition or criticism, to President Trump and allow him to implement his vision for the USA.
    To me it looks like he won because of gerrymandering and voter registration games. Republican states made sure blacks couldn't provide proper credentials so a few million people were not allowed to vote even though they were legally empowered to do so.