Debates Forum

Debates Forum

1. Zugzwang
    Moves
    23 Jan '19 22:50
    https://www.theguardian.com/us-news/2019/jan/23/elite-schools-ivy-league-legacy-admissions-harvard-wealthier-whiter

"How elite US schools give preference to wealthy and white 'legacy' applicants"

"According to court documents filed in support of the lawsuit, among
    white applicants who were accepted to Harvard, 21.5% had legacy status.
    Only 6.6% of accepted Asian applicants, and 4.8% of accepted
    African American applicants, were legacies."

"Princeton has reported that legacy applicants are admitted at roughly
    four times the rate of applicants overall."

"Ananda Martin-Caughey applied to Harvard about a decade ago,
    when she was attending a diverse public high school in Maryland,
    and was accepted into the class of 2013. Her father and grandfather
    were Harvard graduates, and she described her upbringing as upper middle class.
    Legacy preferences appeared to influence the makeup of the student body.
    “It was pretty obvious to me how many of my classmates seemed
    to come from very wealthy, privileged backgrounds,” she said.
    “I thought about students I had gone to high school with, many of
    whom were every bit as talented as students who went to Harvard,
    but had fewer advantages.”
    Martin-Caughey has reached her own verdict. “I benefited from
    Harvard’s legacy admissions policy, but I think it’s wrong.”"
  2. Zugzwang
    Moves
    23 Jan '19 22:541 edit
    https://www.theguardian.com/commentisfree/2018/oct/21/what-will-help-you-get-into-harvard-super-rich-parents

"What will help you get into Harvard? Super-rich parents with a chequebook and pen"

"It has long been understood that you can, to some extent, buy your way into many
    of the US’s prestigious universities. There are certainly plenty of examples of people
    with more money than sense being admitted to elite educational institutions."

"... the extent to which Harvard’s admission process favours relatives of big donors
    is only now being laid bare. This is thanks to a lawsuit currently under way against
    Harvard that accuses the university of discriminating against Asian Americans.
    In seeking to determine how Asian Americans are treated by Harvard, the lawsuit
    has unearthed a number of internal university documents that give unprecedented
    insight into its (seemingly money-centric) admissions processes."

"What this lawsuit, perhaps inadvertently, has made abundantly clear, however,
    is that the most widespread affirmative action programmes at play in elite institutions
    don’t help minority racial groups – they help rich, predominantly white people.
    These programmes just aren’t labelled “affirmative action”. They are labelled the status quo."

If Harvard were less dishonest, then it should offer some places to the highest bidders--just
    make it an explicit auction. Donald Trump could buy Harvard degrees for his children.
  3. Subscriberkmax87
    Land of Free
    Health and Education
    Moves
    24 Jan '19 15:42
    @duchess64 said
    https://www.theguardian.com/commentisfree/2018/oct/21/what-will-help-you-get-into-harvard-super-rich-parents

"What will help you get into Harvard? Super-rich parents with a chequebook and pen"

"It has long been understood that you can, to some extent, buy your way into many
    of the US’s prestigious universities. There are certainly plenty of examples of people
    with ...[text shortened]... idders--just
    make it an explicit auction. Donald Trump could buy Harvard degrees for his children.
    Whats your actual problem?

You observe a nation that has over time become more and more influenced by economically rationalist policies and it comes almost as a surprise that its premier elite educational institutions exhibit the very same golden rule preferrential treatment of legacy applicants to its ivy halls and you find it incredulous that they discriminate against the non wealthy.

Welcome to the USA baby. Why should a user pays system, embrace a merit based system. Why would a private organization operate a meritocracy?

Answer that, or lets debate the virtue of a valid, representative, paint drying coefficient.