Please turn on javascript in your browser to play chess.
Debates Forum

Debates Forum

1. 08 Jan '17 21:41 / 2 edits
    Japan has one of the lowest rates of gun crime in the world. In 2014 there were just six gun deaths, compared to 33,599 in the US.

Japanese police officers rarely use guns and put much greater emphasis on martial arts - all are expected to become a black belt in judo. They spend more time practising kendo (fighting with bamboo swords) than learning how to use firearms.

"The response to violence is never violence, it's always to de-escalate it. Only six shots were fired by Japanese police nationwide [in 2015]," says journalist Anthony Berteaux. "What most Japanese police will do is get huge futons and essentially roll up a person who is being violent or drunk into a little burrito and carry them back to the station to calm them down."

Overton contrasts this with the American model, which he says has been "to militarise the police".

"If you have too many police pulling out guns at the first instance of crime, you lead to a miniature arms race between police and criminals," he says.

http://www.bbc.com/news/magazine-38365729

Makes sense.
  2. 08 Jan '17 22:12
    Klansmen talking about "homogeneous society" incoming in 3... 2... 1...
  3. Subscriber AThousandYoung
    Poor Filipov :,(
    08 Jan '17 22:20 / 2 edits
    Having a shrinking and elderly population does contribute to the lack of violence.

Also having been nuked and militarily occupied seems to have made the Japanese more peaceful.
  4. 08 Jan '17 22:47
    Originally posted by AThousandYoung
    Having a shrinking and elderly population does contribute to the lack of violence.

Also having been nuked and militarily occupied seems to have made the Japanese more peaceful.
    I doubt these are major contributing factors.
  5. 08 Jan '17 22:48
    Originally posted by KazetNagorra
    After an earthquake devastated Japan in 1923, Japanese mobs, police, and soldiers
    murdered more than 6000 ethnic Koreans, in part because of wild rumors that the Koreans
    intended to poison wells to kill more Japanese. (Note the similarity between that rumor
    and European Christian anti-Semitic rumors about the Jews allegedly poisoning wells.)

Ethnic Koreans are a significant minority of the victims and survivors of the atomic bombings
    of Hiroshima and Nagasaki. But, for decades afterward, these ethnic Koreans have faced
    blatant discrimination from Japan's government and society in general, having their sufferings
    treated with much less respect than those of 'real' Japanese victims and survivors.
  6. 08 Jan '17 22:48
    Can you explain this to me because I don't really understand the point you are making.
  7. 08 Jan '17 22:51 / 2 edits
    Originally posted by robbie carrobie to KazetNagorra
    Can you explain this to me because I don't really understand the point you are making.
    KazetNagorra expects that someone (probably a 'pro-gun' racist right-wing white American)
    will jump into this thread and argue that Japan has a low gun crime rate *only* because its
    people are supposedly completely homogeneous culturally and 'racially'.

Therefore, *if* the USA were to become an all-white society, then it presumably would
    have a low gun crime rate too, notwithstanding its much more permissive gun laws.
    I don't believe this, of course, but I am explaining the kind of argument that has been made.
  8. 08 Jan '17 22:57
    Originally posted by Duchess64
    KazetNagorra expects that someone (probably a 'pro-gun' racist right-wing white American)
    will jump into this thread and argue that Japan has a low gun crime rate *only* because its
    people are supposedly completely homogeneous culturally and 'racially'.

Therefore, *if* the USA were to become an all-white society, then it presumably would
    have a low g ...[text shortened]... .
    I don't believe this, of course, but I am explaining the kind of argument that has been made.
    Ok now I understand - thank you.
  9. 08 Jan '17 23:00
    Originally posted by robbie carrobie
    Japan has one of the lowest rates of gun crime in the world. In 2014 there were just six gun deaths, compared to 33,599 in the US.

Japanese police officers rarely use guns and put much greater emphasis on martial arts - all are expected to become a black belt in judo. They spend more time practising kendo (fighting with bamboo swords) than learnin ...[text shortened]... een police and criminals," he says.

Makes sense.
    Unlike Japan, in the U.S. there is easy access to weapons by virtually anyone making it much harder for the police to do their job. While I believe some police departments do not properly train their officers and embody dangerous and murderous racist views, policing in certain areas of the U.S. is a very difficult job. It is a complex issue.
  10. 08 Jan '17 23:58
    Originally posted by Phranny
    Unlike Japan, in the U.S. there is easy access to weapons by virtually anyone making it much harder for the police to do their job. While I believe some police departments do not properly train their officers and embody dangerous and murderous racist views, policing in certain areas of the U.S. is a very difficult job. It is a complex issue.
    yes the process to get access to guns and even ammunition is pretty involved, with regular checks and a license being issued every three years. Perhaps the USA could adopt some of these though or be forever destined to be the world leaders in gun crime.
  11. 09 Jan '17 01:30 / 1 edit
    What does gay sex have to do with any of this?

Apples and oranges.
  12. 09 Jan '17 01:32

Japanese police officers rarely use guns and put much greater emphasis on martial arts - all are expected to become a black belt in judo. They spend more time practising kendo (fighting with bamboo swords) than learnin ...[text shortened]... een police and criminals," he says.

Makes sense.
    Maybe radiation does a body good.

Any studies on how high radiation exposure contributes to lower crime rates?
  13. Subscriber kmax87
    You've got Kevin
    09 Jan '17 01:52
    Originally posted by AThousandYoung
    Having a shrinking and elderly population does contribute to the lack of violence.......
    Constantly banging on about how short the Japanese are, not only smacks of racism, its xenophobic too!
  14. 09 Jan '17 02:51
    yes the process to get access to guns and even ammunition is pretty involved, with regular checks and a license being issued every three years. Perhaps the USA could adopt some of these though or be forever destined to be the world leaders in gun crime.
    In the U.S., you can be suspected of terrorist plans and thus placed on a list preventing you from flying on a commercial plane yet still legally purchase a weapon! Mind boggling!
  15. Standard member checkbaiter
    By God's Grace
    09 Jan '17 03:47
    Originally posted by Phranny
    In the U.S., you can be suspected of terrorist plans and thus placed on a list preventing you from flying on a commercial plane yet still legally purchase a weapon! Mind boggling!
    Japan has pretty much denied muslim immigration. Just saying, because you didn't mention it.