Please turn on javascript in your browser to play chess.
Debates Forum

Debates Forum

  1. 28 Jan '15 11:48 / 1 edit
    Recently, the mayor of Paris, Anne Hidalgo, came out and said that Fox News had lied about their being "no go zones" in France, and she intends to sue them.

    http://money.cnn.com/2015/01/20/media/paris-mayor-sue-fox-news/index.html

    So many here might assume that being a conservative I watch Fox News 24/7 and that I care anything about them at all and don't wish to see this happen. I don't care, in fact, I welcome it.

    I'm just tired of being lied to 24/7, and Anne has shown us the light. Why not provide a Constitutional amendment that allows the citizens to sue political figures and figures in the media who lie to us?

    If progressives could not lie, they could not function. It is their bread and butter for getting elected. After all, if people really understood the vision progressives have for the American people, they would all soon go bye, bye.

    So the next time Obama lies about being able to keep our health care plan and pay less for them, the next time Bush lies about WMD's, there will be a high price to pay. Maybe a public auction of all they own would suffice. The bigger and more costly the lie, the bigger the price to pay.

    Let's stick it to those Progs!

    Who is with me?
  2. 28 Jan '15 12:12 / 2 edits
    Originally posted by whodey
    Who is with me?
    Quite a few fellow nut cases, I presume.

    That's quite a huge restriction on freedom of speech you are promoting here. You sure you want to go down that road?

    How about religious leaders? They can have quite a following. Should they be sued as well?

    What do you consider media? Is a rightwing blog - the kind that is destroying the few brain cells you probably have - also "media"? Should they be sued as well when caught lying?

    Ever wonder why American's are thought of as being overly litigious (besides being monstrously fat, of course)?
  3. Standard member sh76
    Civis Americanus Sum
    28 Jan '15 14:04
    Originally posted by Great King Rat
    Quite a few fellow nut cases, I presume.

    That's quite a huge restriction on freedom of speech you are promoting here. You sure you want to go down that road?

    How about religious leaders? They can have quite a following. Should they be sued as well?

    What do you consider media? Is a rightwing blog - the kind that is destroying the few brain cel ...[text shortened]... American's are thought of as being overly litigious (besides being monstrously fat, of course)?
    You call Americans "overly litigious" and yet it's the mayor of Paris, not Boston, that is threatening to sue a media outlet over a false political statement, a lawsuit that would never fly in the US.

    Thankfully, that some bigoted xenophobic Europeans like to stereotype Americans is both unsurprising and unconcerning.
  4. 28 Jan '15 14:19 / 1 edit
    Originally posted by sh76
    You call Americans "overly litigious" and yet it's the mayor of Paris, not Boston, that is threatening to sue a media outlet over a false political statement, a lawsuit that would never fly in the US.

    Thankfully, that some bigoted xenophobic Europeans like to stereotype Americans is both unsurprising and unconcerning.
    I say Americans are thought of as being overly litigious. In this specific case, because one such American just stated that "media" should be sued simply on the basis that they lie.

    It might be a stereotype that is untrue. Whodey's latest rant at the very least does nothing to disprove this.

    Bigoted? Yeah, probably. Xenophobic? No, not even close.
  5. 28 Jan '15 14:54
    Originally posted by whodey
    I'm just tired of being lied to 24/7 [...]
    Really? Well, that explains why you get all your information from sources less reliable than the average crack addict, and you casually dismiss the insights of brilliant intellectual heavyweights such as myself when they don't conform with your preconceived notions.
  6. Standard member sh76
    Civis Americanus Sum
    28 Jan '15 16:25
    Originally posted by Great King Rat
    I say Americans are [b]thought of as being overly litigious. In this specific case, because one such American just stated that "media" should be sued simply on the basis that they lie.

    It might be a stereotype that is untrue. Whodey's latest rant at the very least does nothing to disprove this.

    Bigoted? Yeah, probably. Xenophobic? No, not even close.[/b]
    No offense, whodey (note: this is always a bad sign to the target when someone starts a sentence like this)...

    But whodey's political views are hardly representative of mainstream American political views. I doubt even whodey would argue with the proposition that his views are on the fringe of American politics. I wouldn't stereotype Americans' views based on whodey's views any more than I'd stereotype British people's views based on those of Godfrey Bloom.

    Moreover, in this case, whodey's OP is clearly meant to be facetious. His OP is a way of satirizing the Paris mayor for threatening to sue Fox News over a political statement.

    For all of the faults of the US court system, we don't sue news outlets for making false or even dumb statements about cities, governments or countries. We rely on other outlets and sites like politifact.org to publicly humiliate them and force humiliating retractions (i.e., http://www.politifact.com/punditfact/statements/2015/jan/14/steven-emerson/fox-news-guest-steven-emerson-says-birmingham-tota/).
  7. 28 Jan '15 17:30
    Originally posted by KazetNagorra
    Really? Well, that explains why you get all your information from sources less reliable than the average crack addict, and you casually dismiss the insights of brilliant intellectual heavyweights such as myself when they don't conform with your preconceived notions.
    But I depend on you Kaz. I need to find the news sources that have cornered the market on "truthiness".
  8. 28 Jan '15 17:31 / 1 edit
    Originally posted by sh76
    For all of the faults of the US court system, we don't sue news outlets for making false or even dumb statements about cities, governments or countries. We rely on other outlets and sites like politifact.org to publicly humiliate them and force humiliating retractions (i.e., http://www.politifact.com/punditfact/statements/2015/jan/14/steven-emerson/fox-news-guest-steven-emerson-says-birmingham-tota/).[/b]
    You mean like Boehner suing Obama?

    Yes, the US does it as well. The attempt of the mayor in Paris is no different than that of Boehner. All it is, is political posturing at the expense of our over burdened legal system. Everyone knows neither law suit will go anywhere, nor is were they designed to go anywhere.
  9. Standard member sh76
    Civis Americanus Sum
    28 Jan '15 17:35
    Originally posted by whodey
    You mean like Boehner suing Obama?

    Yes, the US does it as well. The attempt of the mayor in Paris is no different than that of Boehner. All it is, is political posturing at the expense of our over burdened legal system. Everyone knows neither law suit will go anywhere, nor is were they designed to go anywhere.
    There is a long history of members of Congress suing the administration based on separation of powers issues (these suits rarely succeed, but they sometimes do).

    That has zero to do with public officials suing media outlets over poor reporting, which almost never succeeds.
  10. 28 Jan '15 17:54
    Originally posted by sh76
    No offense, whodey (note: this is always a bad sign to the target when someone starts a sentence like this)...

    But whodey's political views are hardly representative of mainstream American political views. I doubt even whodey would argue with the proposition that his views are on the fringe of American politics. I wouldn't stereotype Americans' views based ...[text shortened]... fact/statements/2015/jan/14/steven-emerson/fox-news-guest-steven-emerson-says-birmingham-tota/).
    Excuse me for assuming Whodey was being serious. Given his general post history, I wouldn't be surprised if he was.

    Let's hope you're right...
  11. Standard member sh76
    Civis Americanus Sum
    28 Jan '15 19:52
    Originally posted by Great King Rat
    Let's hope you're right...
    I do
  12. 29 Jan '15 03:31
    Originally posted by whodey
    Recently, the mayor of Paris, Anne Hidalgo, came out and said that Fox News had lied about their being "no go zones" in France, and she intends to sue them.

    http://money.cnn.com/2015/01/20/media/paris-mayor-sue-fox-news/index.html

    So many here might assume that being a conservative I watch Fox News 24/7 and that I care anything about them at all and don ...[text shortened]... ostly the lie, the bigger the price to pay.

    Let's stick it to those Progs!

    Who is with me?
    Am I the only one who finds this post confused? Fox News is not Progressive. You want to stick it to them, stop watching Fox Lies.
  13. 29 Jan '15 04:31
    Originally posted by Flower04
    Am I the only one who finds this post confused? Fox News is not Progressive. You want to stick it to them, stop watching Fox Lies.
    Hell no, I love to see them make politicians squirm.. there ism something about them showing an actual video of the dolt saying something in 2008, and then changing course a complete 360 years later..
    I also like them bitch slapping Micheal Moore.. it makes my entire day. A fat old man, making fun of an American hero.. and yes Chris Kyle is a hero.. thank God there are people out there, that still posses a backbone. You on the left, will be the first to hide behind one on them.
  14. Subscriber Wajoma
    Die Cheeseburger
    29 Jan '15 04:34
    Originally posted by Flower04
    Am I the only one who finds this post confused? Fox News is not Progressive. You want to stick it to them, stop watching Fox Lies.
    Whodey was referring to the mayor as being progressive.

    John Stossel is definitely worth watching on Fox.
  15. Standard member bill718
    Enigma
    31 Jan '15 03:23
    Originally posted by sh76
    You call Americans "overly litigious" and yet it's the mayor of Paris, not Boston, that is threatening to sue a media outlet over a false political statement, a lawsuit that would never fly in the US.

    Thankfully, that some bigoted xenophobic Europeans like to stereotype Americans is both unsurprising and unconcerning.
    At the risk of asking a silly question, if it's so"unconcerning" why are you taking the time to write about it?