Debates Forum

Debates Forum

1. Joined
    29 Mar '09
    Moves
    28 Oct '16 14:43
    The self proclaimed law experts on this site might get some free lessons in this.
  2. SubscriberSuzianne
    Misfit Queen
    Isle of Misfit Toys
    Moves
    28 Oct '16 20:08
    Originally posted by joe beyser
    The self proclaimed law experts on this site might get some free lessons in this.
    It's a travesty.

Had those ranchers been black, they all would've been dead 10 seconds after they aimed their guns at law enforcement.
  3. Joined
    29 Mar '09
    Moves
    28 Oct '16 21:03
    Originally posted by Suzianne
    It's a travesty.

Had those ranchers been black, they all would've been dead 10 seconds after they aimed their guns at law enforcement.
    No, if they were black they would have already taken each other out.
  4. Zugzwang
    Moves
    29 Oct '16 21:391 edit
    Originally posted by Suzianne to Joe Beyser
    It's a travesty.
    "Granted, I am far less concerned about race than you (Duchess64) seem to be."
    --Suzianne (27 October 2016)

Do people in the Black Lives Matter (BLM) movement wish they could afford to be 'far less concerned about race'?
  5. Unknown Territories
    Moves
    29 Oct '16 21:43
    It's a travesty.

Had those ranchers been Anthony Weiner... uh, where do we go with this one, again?
  6. Joined
    04 Feb '05
    Moves
    29 Oct '16 22:10
    you have an idiotic system and i am glad i am not american.
  7. SubscriberSuzianne
    Misfit Queen
    Isle of Misfit Toys
    Moves
    30 Oct '16 00:08
    Originally posted by Duchess64
    "Granted, I am far less concerned about race than you (Duchess64) seem to be."
    --Suzianne (27 October 2016)

Do people in the Black Lives Matter (BLM) movement wish they could afford to be 'far less concerned about race'?
    Please remember that I said this in a post that disagreed with you conflating feminism and racism.

By ripping apart feminism by separating feminists into white and non-white, you don't do feminism any favors.

And I do wish that you'd remember that you and I agree on most things. By trying to paint me with the 'racist' brush, not only are you far from the mark, but you risk more than this minor point is worth.

By the way, in case you somehow missed it, I have supported BLM from the moment they first began appearing in the news, and I have financially supported their efforts as well as actually marching with them in Phoenix.

So I think you're seriously barking up the wrong tree.
  8. Standard membersh76
    Civis Americanus Sum
    New York
    Moves
    30 Oct '16 00:11
    Originally posted by Zahlanzi
    You mean trial by jury? We'll stick with it, thank you.
  9. Joined
    29 Mar '09
    Moves
    30 Oct '16 02:53
    Originally posted by Zahlanzi
    I'm glad you are not American too.
  10. Standard membershavixmir
    Guppy poo
    Sewers of Holland
    Moves
    30 Oct '16 06:41
    It's a travesty.

I can't help but wonder if the people giving this post a thumbs up mean they think shooting blacks is a good thing...
  11. SubscriberSuzianne
    Misfit Queen
    Isle of Misfit Toys
    Moves
    30 Oct '16 11:47
    Originally posted by shavixmir
    I can't help but wonder if the people giving this post a thumbs up mean they think shooting blacks is a good thing...
    I would like to assume that they understand that in America at least, there is a disgusting double standard in the way law enforcement treats blacks versus how they treat whites.
  12. Joined
    04 Feb '05
    Moves
    30 Oct '16 12:071 edit
    Originally posted by sh76
    You mean trial by jury? We'll stick with it, thank you.
    have 12 people untrained in law, picked at random, who would rather be doing anything else during that time, all with their own agendas, decide on someone's fate?

yes, it's idiotic.
  13. Zugzwang
    Moves
    30 Oct '16 21:11
    Please remember that I said this in a post that disagreed with you conflating feminism and racism.

By ripping apart feminism by separating feminists into white and non-white, you don't do feminism any favors.

And I do wish that you'd remember that you and I agree on most things. By trying to paint me with the 'racist' brush, not only are you far from ...[text shortened]... ctually marching with them in Phoenix.

So I think you're seriously barking up the wrong tree.
    Suzianne has misunderstood or distorted what I wrote. I am deeply disappointing that
    Suzianne apparently has made no effort to learn anything from the sources that I cited
    regarding intersectionality, White Feminism, and other feminist issues.

"...disagreed with you conflating feminism and racism."
    --Suzianne

In reality, racism runs through much of mainstream (middle-class white) American feminism.
    But Suzianne apparently prefers to ignore the many non-white women and even
    some white women who have spoken out about that reality in American feminism.

"By ripping apart feminism by separating feminists into white and non-white ...."
    --Suzianne

Suzianne absurdly likes to act as though I must be the first to recognize the racial
    divisions and exclusions in American feminism. In fact, I *already quoted* other women
    criticizing 'White Feminism' and complaining that they have long felt excluded from
    the mainstream (white) American feminist movement (to which Suzianne belongs.
    I would submit that the close-minded Suzianne 'does not do feminism any favors' by
    refusing to listen to and consider the voices of marginalized non-white women.

"By trying to paint me with the 'racist' brush ..."
    --Suzianne

Suzianne, I don't believe that you are *consciously* racially prejudiced. I believe that,
    as a white woman, you *sometimes* show ignorance or insensitivity about racism.
    While white women (who evidently have benefited more from affirmative action than
    any non-white minority group) may be marginalized when compared to white men,
    black and Latina women are more marginalized than white women. And Asian women
    are even more marginalized than black and Latina women in public life in the USA.

It's nice that you support the Black Lives Matter (BLM) movement,, but your support
    of one highly publicized (in the mainstream media) cause does *not necessarily* mean
    that you comprehend all the *diverse realities* of racism in the USA. (I have pointed
    out that racism make it practically impossible for Asian women and girls who were
    raped by American soldiers to receive 'justice' in the US military justice system.)
    I hope that you are at least aware that racism is *not only* a narrow black-white binary.

I have spoken out against racism and other bigotry even when it's been extremely
    unpopular and received little or no attention in the mainstream Western media.

Sadly, I have to conclude that you, Suzianne, are a 'White Feminist' and unwilling to
    listen enough to the diverse voices of marginalized non-white women about why they
    believe that White Feminism--your approved brand of feminism--does *not* represent
    them, their identities and interests, nearly as much as it represents yours.
  14. Zugzwang
    Moves
    30 Oct '16 21:334 edits
    Originally posted by Suzianne to Shavixmir
    I would like to assume that they understand that in America at least, there is a disgusting
    double standard in the way law enforcement treats blacks versus how they treat whites.
    In American law enforcement and the criminal justice system, there's racism against non-black
    minorities too, though it's much less publicized perhaps because it's less common.
    Here are two cases (these are far from the only cases):

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Chol_Soo_Lee

Largely on account of racist stereotyping ('Asian gang member', 'All Asians look alike' etc. )
    Chol Soo Lee, a Korean immigrant, was wrongly convicted of first-degree murder.
    He spent ten years in prison. An Asian American activist campaign (including journalists
    and lawyers)--the mainstream 'white' media initially ignored the story--succeeded in
    getting a new trial for Choi Soo Lee, resulting in his acquittal. He received no apology
    or financial compensation from the state. The film 'True Believer' is based iupon his case.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Murder_of_Vincent_Chin

In 1982 two white men pursued, overtook and brutally beat to death Vincent Chin, a US citizen of Chinese heritage.
    The white men were convicted of first-degree manslaughter. Judge Charles Kaufman
    praised the killer's moral characters and sentenced them to no time in prison, three years'
    probation, and a fine of 3000 USD (plus court costs), payable tin easy installments.
    After the judge's death, his daughter conceded that his lenient sentence was wrong, but
    she denied that he had any racial prejudice. She apparently implied that he would have
    given the same sentence if a white man had been murdered by two Asian American men.
    No Asian American would believe her.
  15. Joined
    03 Feb '07
    Moves
    30 Oct '16 22:09
    That the system is rigged around white privilege? I knew that ahead of time.