Please turn on javascript in your browser to play chess.
Debates Forum

Debates Forum

1. Standard member sh76
    Civis Americanus Sum
    15 May '11 23:13 / 1 edit
    http://www.foxnews.com/on-air/fox-news-sunday/transcript/mike-huckabee-explains-2012-decision-rep-ron-paul-his-presidential-bid-sens-durbin-kyl-ta

I like Huck's personality and his affability, but he would have been an exceedingly weak candidate in a general election (though stronger than Trump or Palin) so it's probably best that he drop out now.

I'll bet he'll have a lot more fun teasing and poking fun at the candidates from the Fox News chair than he'd have had sitting in those crowded debates sweating and dodging silly questions from mindless moderators on front of hostile crowds.

Really. Unless you really think you're going to win or unless you're doing it for fun (like Al Sharpton), why would anyone even want to run?
  2. Subscriber no1marauder
    It's Nice to Be Nice
    15 May '11 23:28
    Originally posted by sh76
    http://www.foxnews.com/on-air/fox-news-sunday/transcript/mike-huckabee-explains-2012-decision-rep-ron-paul-his-presidential-bid-sens-durbin-kyl-ta

I like Huck's personality and his affability, but he would have been an exceedingly weak candidate in a general election (though stronger than Trump or Palin) so it's probably best that he drop out now.

I'll be ...[text shortened]... or unless you're doing it for fun (like Al Sharpton), why would anyone even want to run?
    Don't be surprised if Fox pulls the plug on Huck; if he's not going to be President why should they pay him a few million bucks?
  3. 16 May '11 00:12
    I used to like him while disagreeing with his politics. That is, until he followed along with the brainless morons on a Conservative radio station claiming Obama grew up in Kenya. He then later lied by claiming he meant to say Indonesia, which is still moot because Obama grew up in Hawaii.
  4. Subscriber FMF
    a.k.a. John W Booth
    16 May '11 00:20
    Originally posted by USArmyParatrooper
    I used to like him while disagreeing with his politics. That is, until he followed along with the brainless morons on a Conservative radio station claiming Obama grew up in Kenya. He then later lied by claiming he meant to say Indonesia, which is still moot because Obama grew up in Hawaii.
    Well Obama DID grow up in Indonesia - well at least he did a part of his growing up here!
  5. Standard member sh76
    Civis Americanus Sum
    16 May '11 01:26
    Originally posted by no1marauder
    Don't be surprised if Fox pulls the plug on Huck; if he's not going to be President why should they pay him a few million bucks?
    Huckabee never had more than maybe a 5% chance of becoming President in any case. Fox hired him because he's a former governor, he's a social conservative, he's witty and affable and can think and talk on his feet.

Fox may be biased, but they're not stupid. They did not hire him on the assumption that he's going to be President.
  6. Subscriber no1marauder
    It's Nice to Be Nice
    16 May '11 01:30 / 1 edit
    Huckabee never had more than maybe a 5% chance of becoming President in any case. Fox hired him because he's a former governor, he's a social conservative, he's witty and affable and can think and talk on his feet.

Fox may be biased, but they're not stupid. They did not hire him on the assumption that he's going to be President.
    They've hired a slew of Republican Presidential aspirants to give them some free air time. Don't be so naive; my hunch is Huckabee won't be working for Fox for long.

EDIT: I hadn't realized that Huckabee had been on the channel since September 2008 to be honest; perhaps his situation is different from Palin's, Gingrich's and Santorum's. We'll see.
  7. 16 May '11 01:47 / 1 edit

Any idea what his ratings are? I have tried to watch him before but generally find him to be somewhat of a bore. In addition, I think there is some bad blood between him and Beck after Beck called him a fiscal progressive.

I'm with Marauder on this one. I don't think he will last.
  8. 16 May '11 17:19
    Originally posted by FMF
    Well Obama DID grow up in Indonesia - well at least he did a part of his growing up here!
    Unless I'm mistaken he spent like a year there, maybe two as a young child. That's not "growing up" in a place.

Also, he did NOT mean to say Indonesia. He spoke at length how Obama growing up in Kenya "with his grandfather" shaped his views on the British due to historical British colonialism.

He playcated to the racists. Then he lied about it.
  9. Standard member Tychoo
    F**k the EU, IMF,WB
    17 May '11 17:09
    How's Huckabee?????
  10. 27 May '11 08:05
    And in further bad news for the Democrats, Michelle Bachman's money bomb was a dud, and she probably won't run.
  11. Subscriber FMF
    a.k.a. John W Booth
    27 May '11 08:16
    Unless I'm mistaken he spent like a year there, maybe two as a young child. That's not "growing up" in a place.
    You are mistaken. He was there between the ages of 6 and 10. That's doing "a part of his growing up" in Indonesia like I said. Obama grew up in Indonesia and the U.S.
  12. Standard member Tychoo
    F**k the EU, IMF,WB
    27 May '11 09:01
    Originally posted by Kunsoo
    And in further bad news for the Democrats, Michelle Bachman's money bomb was a dud, and she probably won't run.
    Who's Michelle BAchman
  13. 27 May '11 10:56
    Originally posted by FMF
    You are mistaken. He was there between the ages of 6 and 10. That's doing "a part of his growing up" in Indonesia like I said. Obama grew up in Indonesia and the U.S.
    There's a couple problems there.

Assuming 18 is the magic number for being a grown-up, that would be four of his eighteen years. If Obama spent 14 years of his childhood in the US and 4 years in Indonesia, you are still wrong to say, "Obama grew up in Indonesia"

Also (and most important), Huckabee did NOT mean to say he grew up in Indonesia. He said Obama grew up in Kenya and he meant Kenya. He's lying and he knows he's lying.
  14. Subscriber FMF
    a.k.a. John W Booth
    27 May '11 12:03
    Assuming 18 is the magic number for being a grown-up, that would be four of his eighteen years. If Obama spent 14 years of his childhood in the US and 4 years in Indonesia, you are still wrong to say, "Obama grew up in Indonesia"

Also (and most important), Huckabee did NOT mean to say he grew up in Indonesia. He said Obama grew up in Kenya and he meant Kenya. He's lying and he knows he's lying.
    Frankly, I don't give a fig what Huckabee said. I'm simply correcting you. I said: "Well Obama DID grow up in Indonesia - well at least he did a part of his growing up here!" You may not know it yet [from the viewpoint of a parent] but the ages of 6 and 7 and 8 and 9 and 10 are absolutely essential growing up years: the outside world rushing in after the more family-centric early years - kindergarten and primary school - with its swirling dramatis personae of new adults, new and more diverse friends, and new social environments. Obama grew up in Indonesia and the U.S.
  15. 27 May '11 12:26
    Originally posted by FMF
    Frankly, I don't give a fig what Huckabee said. I'm simply correcting you. I said: "Well Obama DID grow up in Indonesia - well at least he did a part of his growing up here!" You may not know it yet [from the viewpoint of a parent] but the ages of 6 and 7 and 8 and 9 and 10 are absolutely essential growing up years: the outside world rushing in after the more fa ...[text shortened]... d more diverse friends, and new social environments. Obama grew up in Indonesia and the U.S.
    Even saying he grew up in both places without qualifying leaves the impression he spent more time there than he did.

But saying, "He grew up in Indonesia" without even mentioning spending most of his childhood in the US is outright lying. But this is also moot because the point is Huckabee lied and then lied again to cover it.

If you don't care to address the point of my original post then why did you even respond to it?