Please turn on javascript in your browser to play chess.
Debates Forum

Debates Forum

1. Standard member finnegan
    GENS UNA SUMUS
    29 May '17 21:38
    http://www.manchestereveningnews.co.uk/news/greater-manchester-news/muslim-man-stood-blindfolded-centre-13106174

Video blogger Baktash Noori seized on small acts of kindness to show that he and thousands of other Muslim Mancs were in shock.

Carrying a sign which says 'I'm Muslim and I trust you. Do you trust me enough for a hug?', Baktash has spent the last few days in the city centre trying to win the trust of the public.

Wearing a blindfold and standing alone on Market Street - he filmed the experience of waiting to see if anyone would take up his offer.
  2. Subscriber kmax87
    You've got Kevin
    29 May '17 21:57
    Originally posted by finnegan
    http://www.manchestereveningnews.co.uk/news/greater-manchester-news/muslim-man-stood-blindfolded-centre-13106174

Video blogger Baktash Noori seized on small acts of kindness to show that he and thousands of other Muslim Mancs were in shock.

Carrying a sign which says 'I'm Muslim and I trust you. Do you trust me enough for a hug?', Baktash has spent th ...[text shortened]... on Market Street - he filmed the experience of waiting to see if anyone would take up his offer.
    That's a truly bold and gutsy move. It actually also speaks volumes for the tolerance hardwired into the average UK citizen that in the wake of such an atrocity the people of Manchester could respond in such a supportive heartwarming way.
  3. 29 May '17 22:49 / 1 edit
    Reminds me of how supporters of vichy france might hug Germans walking down the street.
  4. Subscriber no1marauder
    It's Nice to Be Nice
    29 May '17 22:58
    Originally posted by Eladar
    Reminds me of how supporters of vichy france might hug Germans walking down the street.
    I suppose that comparison makes sense if you believe the West is at war with all Muslims.
  5. Standard member finnegan
    GENS UNA SUMUS
    29 May '17 23:04 / 1 edit
    Fascist might well hug each other. That would demonstrate they are in agreement.

A better test would be for someone with your sick attitudes to stand in a public space with a sign saying - I am a white supremacist and I trust you to give me a hug.

It's not that I think you would come to any harm but I can't see you taking that risk.

What this guy demonstrated is that people in Manchester do not share your fascist attitudes.
  6. Subscriber FreakyKBH
    Acquired Taste...
    29 May '17 23:53
    Fascist might well hug each other. That would demonstrate they are in agreement.

A better test would be for someone with your sick attitudes to stand in a public space with a sign saying - I am a white supremacist and I trust you to give me a hug.

It's not that I think you would come to any harm but I can't see you taking that risk.

What this guy demonstrated is that people in Manchester do not share your fascist attitudes.
    Fascist might well hug each other.
    "Might"?
    They have been, quite some time.
    You think one or two fascists could have caused this much trouble on their own?
    Or that this is really warring fascists squaring off against each other?

It's one homogenous group deathly intent on being the solution for all of the trouble which they themselves have been manufacturing in conflicts both real and imagined.
    The general public will tire of the forced terror and ask their governments and their leaders to make it all go away.

And they'll get their wishes, both sides: the ruling elite and us, the stupid public.
  7. 30 May '17 00:08 / 1 edit
    What historical ignorance! Most French people who supported (or at least went along with)
    the Vichy government did not love Germans or what Germany had done to France.

French people had various reasons to support the Vichy government. In no particular order:
    1) Vichy was established legally, while Charles de Gaulle was viewed as a mutineer.
    (In postwar mythology, the French Resistance was more popular earlier than it really was.)
    2) The British were perceived as a worse ally or master than the Germans.
    In Juhe 1940, the Royal Navy had opened fire upon French warships at anchor, killing many French sailors.
    That massacre (as the French perceived it) turned some French people against the Allies.
    3) Many conservative French wanted the Germans to protect them from Communists.
  8. 30 May '17 00:13
    Originally posted by Duchess64
    What historical ignorance! Most French people who supported (or at least went along with)
    the Vichy government did not love Germans or what Germany had done to France.

French people had various reasons to support the Vichy government. In no particular order:
    1) Vichy was established legally, while Charles de Gaulle was viewed as a mutineer.
    (In pos ...[text shortened]... st the Allies.
    3) Many conservative French wanted the Germans to protect them from Communists.
    Are you saying there were no good Germans that the free French could hug?
  9. 30 May '17 00:41
    Are you saying there were no good Germans that the free French could hug?
    Eladar keeps showing his abysmal 'reading comprehension'.

Some Frenchwomen fell in love with German soldiers during the occupation.
    After the war, these Frenchwomen were punished (sometimes by self-righteous hypocrites)
    in humiliating ways for the crime of 'collaboration horizontale' (sleeping with the enemy).

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Collaboration_horizontale

""Collaboration horizontale" is believed to have produced 200,000 French babies with German fathers.
    Since 2009, Germany offers these children of "the other bank of the Rhine" citizenship,
    after French foreign minister Bernard Kouchner had lobbied for their recognition."
  10. 30 May '17 00:47
    So you are saying that some French did embrace good Nazis as some Brits today embrace Muslims.
  11. Subscriber Suzianne
    Misfit Queen
    30 May '17 02:01
    Originally posted by FreakyKBH
    And they'll get their wishes, both sides: the ruling elite and us, the stupid public.
    The only stupid members of the public are those who characterize ALL Muslims as 'evil murderers'.

But, I guess, for white supremecists, that just comes with the territory.
  12. Standard member finnegan
    GENS UNA SUMUS
    30 May '17 10:50 / 1 edit
    Here is a FACT: "Carrying a sign which says 'I'm Muslim and I trust you. Do you trust me enough for a hug?', Baktash has spent the last few days ...Wearing a blindfold and standing alone on Market Street" and filmed the way people responded.

This is a fact about a Muslim and a fact about the popular response to his actions, all in the days following the Manchester bombing atrocity.

Dealing with this fact seems very difficult for the white supremacists here. It does not fit their deluded misconception of what can happen in their world.
  13. 30 May '17 11:28
    So you are saying that in WWII only Germans who wore signs around their necks were goid people?
  14. 30 May '17 14:34
    Generally people are shown love by allowing them into their country to live.

What they do after the fact tends to dictate how they are treated.
  15. 30 May '17 14:50
    Here is a FACT: "Carrying a sign which says 'I'm Muslim and I trust you. Do you trust me enough for a hug?', Baktash has spent the last few days ...[b]Wearing a blindfold and standing alone on Market Street" and filmed the way people responded.

This is a fact about a Muslim and a fact about the popular response to his actions, all in the days follo ...[text shortened]... premacists here. It does not fit their deluded misconception of what can happen in their world.[/b]
    Evidently the freedoms that we have managed to obtain over the past couple of centuries are a threat to those longing for a more oppressive, authoritarian government more willing to tell its citizens how to run their lives and what deities they ought to be worshiping.