Please turn on javascript in your browser to play chess.
Debates Forum

Debates Forum

1. 09 Oct '11 03:51 / 1 edit
    http://www.zogby.com/news/2011/10/06/ibope-zogby-poll-cain-expands-lead-over-gop-field-leads-obama-46-44/

Apparently Herman Caine has taken the lead in the GOP race. Also, he leads Obama by 2% points in the national polls according to zogby.
  2. Subscriber FMF
    a.k.a. John W Booth
    09 Oct '11 04:10
    Originally posted by whodey
    http://www.zogby.com/news/2011/10/06/ibope-zogby-poll-cain-expands-lead-over-gop-field-leads-obama-46-44/

Apparently Herman Caine has taken the lead in the GOP race. Also, he leads Obama by 2% points in the national polls according to zogby.
    I think his ignorance and/or disregard for the U.S. constitution (re: American Muslims) will play well with hard right parts of his constituency, but will not play well with the moderate people he needs to vote him into office.
  3. 09 Oct '11 04:13

Would you say these polls are more revealing about Americans' attachment to oreos or the rampant anti-intellectualism and Islamophobia that seems to be thriving in certain circles?
  4. 09 Oct '11 04:13 / 3 edits
    Originally posted by FMF
    I think his ignorance and/or disregard for the U.S. constitution (re: American Muslims) will play well with hard right parts of his constituency, but will not play well with the moderate people he needs to vote him into office.
    Is this all the dirt you have on him? If so, I'm wondering if people will really care, especially if they don't have a job.

If Obama brings up the Constitution, Mr. Oreo can have a field day as he points to violation after violation, like not consulting Congress with going to war in Libya or just thumbing your nose up at the war powers act etc. It would play out well with the right and left I think.
  5. 09 Oct '11 04:18
    Originally posted by generalissimo
    Would you say these polls are more revealing about Americans' attachment to oreos or the rampant anti-intellectualism and Islamophobia that seems to be thriving in certain circles?
    People could care less about "intellectualism" when they don't have work.

Do intellectuals make the best Presidents? From what I hear Carter was one of the "smartest" men to ever hold the job.

As for his "Islamaphobia", does anyone have the clip of exactly what he said?
  6. Subscriber FMF
    a.k.a. John W Booth
    09 Oct '11 04:21
    Is this all the dirt you have on him? If so, I'm wondering if people will really care, especially if they don't have a job.
    It isn't "dirt", whodey. It's an observation on one of his publicly stated positions. What other bypasses of the Constitution - of the more creepy kind - will he come out with as the spotlight intensifies? That'd be the question thoughtful Americans might care about as the choice of Cain shifts from hypothetical to possible.
  7. 09 Oct '11 04:22 / 1 edit
    Originally posted by FMF
    It isn't "dirt", whodey. It's an observation on one of his publicly stated positions. What other bypasses of the Constitution - of the more creepy kind - will he come out with as the spotlight intensifies? That'd be the question thoughtful Americans might care about as the choice of Cain shifts from hypothetical to possible.
    Where are the exact words that he used?

I thought the left thought that the Constitution was some old document that is nice and all but is very much outdated.
  8. Subscriber FMF
    a.k.a. John W Booth
    09 Oct '11 04:22
    It has been discussed quite intensively here (and also on Spirituality too). There has been more than one thread about it.
  9. 09 Oct '11 04:23
    Originally posted by FMF
    It has been discussed quite intensively here (and also on Spirituality too). There has been more than one thread about it.
    That's nice, so what were his exact words then?
  10. Subscriber FMF
    a.k.a. John W Booth
    09 Oct '11 04:23
    Where are the exact words that he used?
    You mean you are inclined to defend his position without actually knowing what he has said about fellow Americans?
  11. Subscriber FMF
    a.k.a. John W Booth
    09 Oct '11 04:24
    That's nice, so what were his exact words then?
    I think his name is mentioned in the thread titles, if you're searching. There are links and quotes and transcripts to be found there.
  12. 09 Oct '11 04:28
    Originally posted by FMF
    I think his name is mentioned in the thread titles, if you're searching. There are links and quotes and transcripts to be found there.
    So would you say the vast majority of Americans don't know exactly what he said or that they don't care about what he said?
  13. 09 Oct '11 04:31
    People could care less about "intellectualism" when they don't have work.

Do intellectuals make the best Presidents? From what I hear Carter was one of the "smartest" men to ever hold the job.

Well, regardless of whether or not intellectualism "hasn't worked", it sure seems like Cain has been significantly simplistic in his policy proposals- even by Republican standards, and that's saying something.

The whole 999 tax thing, and his problem with "long bills", it all seems incredibly ludicrous by any standards.
  14. Subscriber FMF
    a.k.a. John W Booth
    09 Oct '11 04:32
    So would you say the vast majority of Americans don't know exactly what he said or that they don't care about what he said?
    I think it will come back to haunt him as the election cycle proceeds. With his mind map such as it is, there may be more 'revealing' pronouncements and promises to come.
  15. 09 Oct '11 04:37 / 1 edit
    Originally posted by FMF
    I think it will come back to haunt him as the election cycle proceeds. With his mind map such as it is, there may be more 'revealing' pronouncements and promises to come.
    I just read a clip where Cain met with a Muslim group apologizing for his comments. From what I can gather, his main concern if making sure Sharia law does not become law in the US. He then compared the plight of Muslims in the US to that of Blacks during the Civil Rights era.

Although the likelyhood of there being Sharia law in the US may be very low in many peoples mind, I think the vast majority would agree and I think it the focus of his previous statements. Of course, such statements politically are careless, whether he meant them or was just pandering to the far right.