Please turn on javascript in your browser to play chess.
Debates Forum

Debates Forum

1. Subscriber kmax87
    You've got Kevin
    20 Apr '17 14:24
    The whole Bill O'Reilly fall from grace made me think about the moralisers who get caught out.

There's Bill who has had an opinion about black men and the lack of decent male role models as cause for the problems among young black men, who has been exposed as a poor example of male role modelling.

Then there's Bill Cosby who also liked to lecture young black men and the black community at large found to be a prolific serial rapist.

Then back in the day you had Jimmy Swaggert denouncing fellow televangelist Jim Bakker for sexual sins who gets caught out having an affair with a prostitute.

Ted Haggard famously was against gay marriage and preached against the evils of homosexuality, was paying for sex with a male prostitute.

Is this the warning signal to look for?
    Too much passion shown in promoting a particular worldview probably indicates an inability to meet the requirements of that very same worldview?
  2. Subscriber Sleepyguy
    Reepy Rastardly Guy
    20 Apr '17 14:58
    Originally posted by kmax87
    The whole Bill O'Reilly fall from grace made me think about the moralisers who get caught out.

There's Bill who has had an opinion about black men and the lack of decent male role models as cause for the problems among young black men, who has been exposed as a poor example of male role modelling.

Then there's Bill Cosby who also liked to lecture young ...[text shortened]... worldview probably indicates an inability to meet the requirements of that very same worldview?
    You have discovered human nature. Nice work.

This is why it's a bad idea to allow large groups of humans to form institutions with ever increasing power over our lives and liberty.
  3. Subscriber kmax87
    You've got Kevin
    20 Apr '17 15:06
    Originally posted by Sleepyguy
    You have discovered human nature. Nice work.

This is why it's a bad idea to allow large groups of humans to form institutions with ever increasing power over our lives and liberty.
    Does that make you an anarchist or some kind of objectivist libertarian with psychotic tendencies?
  4. Subscriber Sleepyguy
    Reepy Rastardly Guy
    20 Apr '17 15:10
    Does that make you an anarchist or some kind of objectivist libertarian with psychotic tendencies?
    No.
  5. Subscriber kmax87
    You've got Kevin
    20 Apr '17 15:42
    Originally posted by Sleepyguy
    No.
    Too short a response to be a proselytising evangelical?!
  6. Standard member checkbaiter
    By God's Grace
    20 Apr '17 15:51

Then there's Bill Cosby who also liked to lecture young ...[text shortened]... worldview probably indicates an inability to meet the requirements of that very same worldview?
    I don't necessarily think there is a warning signal. Any human can be enticed.
    The culture today just makes the enticement stronger.
    I
  7. 20 Apr '17 16:09
    Is this the warning signal to look for?
    Too much passion shown in promoting a particular worldview probably indicates an inability to meet the requirements of that very same worldview?
    No, just look for men in a position of power, and a fairly large percentage will turn out to be despicable human beings. The same probably goes for women, but a lot fewer of them are in positions of power. Power doesn't corrupt, it just lets corruption out.
    Certainly I see no reason to think that the percentage of people who use power for sex is lower in the entertainment industry than in the priesthood.
  8. Standard member checkbaiter
    By God's Grace
    20 Apr '17 17:20
    Originally posted by twhitehead
    No, just look for men in a position of power, and a fairly large percentage will turn out to be despicable human beings. The same probably goes for women, but a lot fewer of them are in positions of power. Power doesn't corrupt, it just lets corruption out.
    Certainly I see no reason to think that the percentage of people who use power for sex is lower in the entertainment industry than in the priesthood.
    Especially white males right?
  9. 20 Apr '17 19:45
    Originally posted by checkbaiter to Twhitehead
    Why is Checkbaiter 'playing the race card' toward Twhitehead, another white man?
    Is it just a 'knee-jerk' reflex by one of the many white men here who apparently feel that
    white people must be the most oppressed by racism in the USA today?

White men are more likely than non-white men to be in positions of power in Western societies.
    It's wrong to insinuate that allegations of sexual misconduct by non-white men tend to be ignored.
    Bill Cosby could attest otherwise.

Anita Hill's accusations of sexual harassment against Clarence Thomas received great
    attention before he was (narrowly) confirmed as a US Supreme Court Justice.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Clarence_Thomas_Supreme_Court_nomination
  10. 20 Apr '17 19:53
    Originally posted by checkbaiter
    No. Why would you think that?