Debates Forum

Debates Forum

  1. Joined
    02 Jan '06
    Moves
    10087
    27 Dec '17 17:411 edit
    https://www.factdc.org/single-post/2017/12/18/Ethics-Watchdog-Releases-Top-5-Worst-Ethics-Violators-of-2017

    According to this article, Congressmen have paid sexually abused victims hush money to the tune of some $17 million over the years. However, these names continue to be protected.

    Why?

    Yes, I know, they are hiding behind the skirts of lawyers like marauder cuz the victims singed no disclosure forms to keep them quiet.

    Well guess what, I don't care and I suspect the American public does not give a damn about it as well. IF they are using taxpayer money to pay off these women, we all have a right to know. And if laws need to be passed to flush them out, we need to see to it that this gets done.

    I can't imagine anyone opposing this...........or is there?

    This is one of those non-partisan issues we all need to unite behind, that is, if you really care about such issues or maybe you just use them to target those you don't like.

    Until Congress does this, I call their concerns over sexual predators to be pure BS.
  2. Joined
    24 Apr '10
    Moves
    14639
    27 Dec '17 18:11
    What are you doing to make this happen?
  3. Joined
    02 Jan '06
    Moves
    10087
    27 Dec '17 18:251 edit
    Originally posted by @great-king-rat
    What are you doing to make this happen?
    Supporting the Article V movement.

    This sort of thing should be illegal, only, don't look for Congress to police themselves.
  4. Joined
    24 Apr '10
    Moves
    14639
    27 Dec '17 18:37
    That's not going to cut it, Whodey. How long will you gladly bend over and let your government fvck you? How much longer will you accept to live in the mansion?

    Haven't you reached the point yet where you're willing to risk it all, just to get your true freedom back?
  5. Joined
    02 Jan '06
    Moves
    10087
    27 Dec '17 18:55
    Originally posted by @great-king-rat
    That's not going to cut it, Whodey. How long will you gladly bend over and let your government fvck you? How much longer will you accept to live in the mansion?

    Haven't you reached the point yet where you're willing to risk it all, just to get your true freedom back?
    What is your suggestion?

    Vote?

    Mwahahaha!!
  6. Joined
    24 Apr '10
    Moves
    14639
    27 Dec '17 21:35
    Originally posted by @whodey
    What is your suggestion?

    Vote?

    Mwahahaha!!
    What do people often do when they feel their government has become too corrupt to continue and there isn't any change in sight?

    Write about it on chess forums?
  7. Subscriberno1marauder
    Humble and Kind
    In the Gazette
    Joined
    22 Jun '04
    Moves
    39965
    27 Dec '17 21:53
    Originally posted by @whodey
    https://www.factdc.org/single-post/2017/12/18/Ethics-Watchdog-Releases-Top-5-Worst-Ethics-Violators-of-2017

    According to this article, Congressmen have paid sexually abused victims hush money to the tune of some $17 million over the years. However, these names continue to be protected.

    Why?

    Yes, I know, they are hiding behind the skirts of lawyer ...[text shortened]... 't like.

    Until Congress does this, I call their concerns over sexual predators to be pure BS.
    It's kinda ironic that a group that demands such transparency refuses to divulge who funds them:

    Its funding — $600,000 in 2014, according to the only tax return it has filed to date — comes entirely from a conservative donor-advised fund called DonorsTrust, which means it could come from anywhere. DonorsTrust is a pass-through vessel that manages the charitable contributions of wealthy individuals and foundations to organizations that are “dedicated to the ideals of limited government, personal responsibility, and free enterprise,” according to its website, while allowing the donors to remain anonymous. Charles Koch is among the many conservatives who have filtered money through DonorsTrust.

    In other words, an organization “dedicated to promoting accountability, ethics, and transparency” gets 100 percent of its funds from a group that exists mainly as a vehicle for donors to elude transparency.

    Meanwhile, Corkery adds FACT to a long list of nondisclosing nonprofits at which he holds, or has held, a key position, often treasurer, and which often have overlapping slates of directors or officers. For instance, at two other groups where Corkery is treasurer, the Judicial Education Project and Catholic Voices, a close family ally by the name of Dan Casey is president and director, respectively. Casey is also the secretary of JCN. At the Sudan Relief Fund, Corkery is president, Casey is treasurer, and Ann Corkery, Neil’s wife, is a director.

    Ann Corkery is also president of the Wellspring Committee, from which JCN receives substantial funding, including more than $6.6 million in 2014; Kathleen Corkery, the couple’s daughter, is on Wellspring’s board of directors, and its secretary-treasurer is Casey’s son. Neil Corkery draws salaries from several of the groups where he’s an office; Ann is paid by Wellspring. (Venn diagram in the works.)

    Many of the groups list the same Georgetown address as their office, with different suite numbers. In reality, the address is that of a UPS store, and the suite numbers are post boxes. FACT’s listed address, in downtown Washington, D.C., has no markings; it appears to be an address that is cited by more than one organization without actually being physically used by any of them, with a receptionist who answers the phone with the names of various groups depending on which line is called.

    http://www.rightwingwatch.org/post/leader-of-anti-garland-group-once-demanded-judges-have-a-biblical-view-of-justice/

    It seems it, like whodey, are primarily interested in throwing whatever feces on the wall they can find regarding black Democrats in Congress.
  8. Joined
    02 Jan '06
    Moves
    10087
    28 Dec '17 01:39
    Originally posted by @no1marauder
    It's kinda ironic that a group that demands such transparency refuses to divulge who funds them:

    Its funding — $600,000 in 2014, according to the only tax return it has filed to date — comes entirely from a conservative donor-advised fund called DonorsTrust, which means it could come from anywhere. DonorsTrust is a pass-through vessel that manages th ...[text shortened]... sted in throwing whatever feces on the wall they can find regarding black Democrats in Congress.
    Why not try addressing the issue of Congressmen using taxpayer funds to pay of sexually abused victims so that the women will keep quiet instead of deflecting off in some other tangent.

    Oh, I'm sorry, maybe it's because you would then be forced to admit I'm right and you have no meaningful reply to counter my arguments.

    Are you suggesting that the Congressmen in question should remain secret and that they should continue to engage in the same activity?

    What exactly if your problem here?
  9. Joined
    02 Jan '06
    Moves
    10087
    28 Dec '17 01:39
    Originally posted by @great-king-rat
    What do people often do when they feel their government has become too corrupt to continue and there isn't any change in sight?

    Write about it on chess forums?
    I bring all the world's problems for you to solve. You know how I look up to you.
  10. Subscriberno1marauder
    Humble and Kind
    In the Gazette
    Joined
    22 Jun '04
    Moves
    39965
    28 Dec '17 02:14
    Originally posted by @whodey
    Why not try addressing the issue of Congressmen using taxpayer funds to pay of sexually abused victims so that the women will keep quiet instead of deflecting off in some other tangent.

    Oh, I'm sorry, maybe it's because you would then be forced to admit I'm right and you have no meaningful reply to counter my arguments.

    Are you suggesting that the Cong ...[text shortened]... that they should continue to engage in the same activity?

    What exactly if your problem here?
    Yes, I'm saying that Congressman should sexually harass people. 🙄🙄🙄
  11. Subscriberno1marauder
    Humble and Kind
    In the Gazette
    Joined
    22 Jun '04
    Moves
    39965
    28 Dec '17 02:292 edits
    Originally posted by @whodey
    https://www.factdc.org/single-post/2017/12/18/Ethics-Watchdog-Releases-Top-5-Worst-Ethics-Violators-of-2017

    According to this article, Congressmen have paid sexually abused victims hush money to the tune of some $17 million over the years. However, these names continue to be protected.

    Why?

    Yes, I know, they are hiding behind the skirts of lawyer ...[text shortened]... 't like.

    Until Congress does this, I call their concerns over sexual predators to be pure BS.
    Of course it hardly needs to be said that your information is wildly inaccurate:

    Citing increased public interest in the issue of sexual harassment settlement funding sources, Office of Compliance Director Susan Tsui Grundmann released a compilation of money paid from the fund by year since 1997, totaling more than $17 million. But not all of that money went to congressional harassment cases, she pointed out. The money is used to settle workplace disputes on Capitol Hill and the amounts for various complaints are not broken out by type:

    A large portion of cases originate from employing offices in the legislative branch other than the House of Representatives or the Senate, and involve various statutory provisions incorporated by the [Congressional Accountability Act], such as the overtime provisions of the Fair Labor Standards Act, the Family and Medical Leave Act, and the Americans with Disabilities Act. The statistics on payments are not further broken down into specific claims because settlements may involve cases that allege violations of more than one of the 13 statutes incorporated by the CAA.

    In at least one of the high-profile cases, that of accusations of harassment leveled against Rep. John Conyers (D-Michigan), settlement money was paid by his congressional office budget, not the Treasury fund overseen by OOC.

    The meme is false — the money isn’t paid from an illegal “slush fund.” It’s unknown how much of the $17 million total over the last 20 years went to sexual harassment claim settlements.

    https://www.snopes.com/congress-use-slush-fund-pay-17-million-women-sexually-harassed/

    Does it need to be pointed out that there is a fairly large difference between workplace sexual harassment and sexual abuse? Thus you are, as usual, making irresponsible claims for partisan political purposes.
  12. Joined
    02 Jan '06
    Moves
    10087
    28 Dec '17 04:09
    Originally posted by @no1marauder
    Of course it hardly needs to be said that your information is wildly inaccurate:

    Citing increased public interest in the issue of sexual harassment settlement funding sources, Office of Compliance Director Susan Tsui Grundmann released a compilation of money paid from the fund by year since 1997, totaling more than $17 million. But not all of that m ...[text shortened]... ual abuse? Thus you are, as usual, making irresponsible claims for partisan political purposes.
    It's unknown how much of the $17 million went to pay off sexually assaulted women?

    Really?

    Of course, you know even though you don't really, isn't that right counselor?

    What a pathetic retort.

    Why not make it all public?
  13. Subscriberno1marauder
    Humble and Kind
    In the Gazette
    Joined
    22 Jun '04
    Moves
    39965
    28 Dec '17 04:56
    Originally posted by @whodey
    It's unknown how much of the $17 million went to pay off sexually assaulted women?

    Really?

    Of course, you know even though you don't really, isn't that right counselor?

    What a pathetic retort.

    Why not make it all public?
    The "pathetic retort" showed that you are woefully ignorant and/or shamelessly lying.

    Not knowing the details, I'm reluctant to take a position on whether all the details should be made public. Perhaps complainants were promised that they wouldn't be, perhaps there are other legal reasons or factors you haven't considered.

    So I'm not going to take a position at this time; I believe there is legislation pending regarding the matter - I'll await reasoned discussion on it
  14. Joined
    24 Apr '10
    Moves
    14639
    28 Dec '17 11:17
    Originally posted by @whodey
    I bring all the world's problems for you to solve. You know how I look up to you.
    Aren't you willing to give up your life of relative luxury in order to not be ruled by a fraudulent government stealing your money and freedoms? Are you comfortably numb?
  15. SubscriberSuzianne
    Misfit Queen
    Isle of Misfit Toys
    Joined
    08 Aug '03
    Moves
    35854
    28 Dec '17 12:471 edit
    Originally posted by @great-king-rat
    Aren't you willing to give up your life of relative luxury in order to not be ruled by a fraudulent government stealing your money and freedoms? Are you comfortably numb?
    Now that the current administration is nothing more than a gang of criminals, disguised as Republicans, they enjoy the backing of that other criminal organization, the RNC.

    And yeah, that's just fine by whodey, just as long as the people actually getting their money and freedom taken away are those worthless minorities, and not him getting taxed a little more.
Back to Top