Please turn on javascript in your browser to play chess.
Debates Forum

Debates Forum

1. Standard member sh76
    Civis Americanus Sum
    04 Jan '13 04:28
    http://news.yahoo.com/icelandic-girl-fights-her-own-name-074758814.html

A 15-year-old is suing the Icelandic state for the right to legally use the name given to her by her mother. The problem? Blaer, which means "light breeze" in Icelandic, is not on a list approved by the government.

Like a handful of other countries, including Germany and Denmark, Iceland has official rules about what a baby can be named. In a country comfortable with a firm state role, most people don't question the Personal Names Register, a list of 1,712 male names and 1,853 female names that fit Icelandic grammar and pronunciation rules and that officials maintain will protect children from embarrassment. Parents can take from the list or apply to a special committee that has the power to say yea or nay.

-snip-

Though the law has become more relaxed in recent years — with the name Elvis permitted, inspired by the charismatic rock and roll icon whose name fits Icelandic guidelines — choices like Cara, Carolina, Cesil, and Christa have been rejected outright because the letter "c'' is not part of Iceland's 32-letter alphabet.
    "The law is pretty straightforward so in many cases it's clearly going to be a yes or a no," said Agusta Thorbergsdottir, the head of the committee, a panel of three people appointed by the government to a four-year term.

etc.

This is an example of an underlying difference between the American mindset and the European mindset. I'll bet most Europeans (based on what I've seen on this board anyway), will look at it and say "Well, it is a good thing for children to have names that don't embarrass them. On the other hand, is it really a big deal if people have odd names?" and basically shrug it off and maybe support the rule and maybe oppose the rule, but not care that much one way or the other.

The Americans on this board can correct me if I'm wrong, but I bet most will say "How dare the damn government butt its ubiquitous head into such a personal issue!? We'll name our kids what we darn well want to name our kids and you, government, can keep your opinion to yourself and your mouth shut!" (or something to that effect).

Am I right or am I right?
  2. Subscriber FMF
    a.k.a. John W Booth
    04 Jan '13 06:02
    Originally posted by sh76
    This is an example of an underlying difference between the American mindset and the European mindset. I'll bet most Europeans (based on what I've seen on this board anyway), will look at it and say "Well, it is a good thing for children to have names that don't embarrass them. On the other hand, is it really a big deal if people have odd names?" and basically s ...[text shortened]... rself and your mouth shut!" (or something to that effect).

I reckon most Europeans would say "How dare the damn government butt its ubiquitous head into such a personal issue?"
  3. 04 Jan '13 06:31
    How dare the damn government butt its ubiquitous head into such a personal issue?
  4. Subscriber SmookieP
    Lead, Follow, or..
    04 Jan '13 06:43

[quote]A 15-year-old is suing the Icelandic state for the right to legally use the name given to her by her mother. The problem? Blaer, which means "light breeze" in Icelandic, is not on a list approved by the government.

Like a handful of other countries, including Germany and Denmar ...[text shortened]... your mouth shut!" (or something to that effect).

How dare the damn government butt its ubiquitous head into such a personal issue?
  5. Subscriber SmookieP
    Lead, Follow, or..
    04 Jan '13 06:44
    I guess though, living in Iceland, it has it's quirks lol
  6. 04 Jan '13 09:06 / 1 edit
    This is an example of an underlying difference between the American mindset and the European mindset.
    No it isn't; besides, Iceland isn't part of Europe as it's north of Watford.
  7. Standard member sasquatch672
    Don't Like It Leave
    04 Jan '13 09:07

[quote]A 15-year-old is suing the Icelandic state for the right to legally use the name given to her by her mother. The problem? Blaer, which means "light breeze" in Icelandic, is not on a list approved by the government.

Like a handful of other countries, including Germany and Denmar ...[text shortened]... your mouth shut!" (or something to that effect).

Tread lightly. The last several decades have seen Pilot Inspektor, Rumer, Moon Unit, Dweezil, Moxie Crimefighter, Fifi Trixibelle, Apple, Kyd, Blanket, Audio Science, Diva Thin Muffin, and...wait for it. Tu. Last name? Morrow. For reals.

Come to think of it, I do think we need more laws. Let's start with, "Celebritards are not permitted to vote or reproduce upon penalty of death".
  8. 04 Jan '13 11:42
  9. 04 Jan '13 11:54
  10. 04 Jan '13 11:56

Arrogant Yankee Fanny post of 2013 (so far)
  11. Subscriber FMF
    a.k.a. John W Booth
    04 Jan '13 12:02
    Originally posted by kevcvs57
    Arrogant Yankee Fanny post of 2013 (so far)
    I am inclined to basically shrug sh76's post off and maybe support it and maybe oppose it, but I do not care that much one way or the other.
  12. 04 Jan '13 12:09
    Originally posted by FMF
    I am inclined to basically shrug sh76's post off and maybe support it and maybe oppose it, but I do not care that much one way or the other.
    I have shrugged it off too, 'Arrogant' was the nicest word I could find to describe such a sweeping generalisation tinged with 'Jingoism'.

Do you still live in Europe?
  13. Subscriber FMF
    a.k.a. John W Booth
    04 Jan '13 12:32
    Originally posted by kevcvs57
    Do you still live in Europe?
    I bring Europe wherever I go.
  14. 04 Jan '13 12:37

You feel a parent should not be prohibited from calling their child for instance Gaylord-Mcbuttpounder?
  15. 04 Jan '13 12:44
    Originally posted by FMF
    I bring Europe wherever I go.
    I know you do not mean that the way 'Clive of India' might, but is your residence a small European island in an Indonesian Ocean?