Debates Forum

Debates Forum

1. Seongnam, S. Korea
    Moves
    10 Jun '18 12:34
    You got to love the overreaction to this sort of stuff:

He said: "This is so silly, the Icelandic national team became popular because of fair play and their joy; a holistic attitude to sport and support.

"Here they are (depicted) as inhuman, blood-thirsty barbarians. They are manslayers, paired with some kind of Aryan undertones. Only a quarter away from 'white power' imagery."

https://www.mirror.co.uk/sport/football/news/icelands-official-world-cup-2018-12667565

What's the verdict on this?

Is it OK for white people to esteem their heritage and employ imagery to express that or... is that going way too far?
  2. Germany
    Moves
    10 Jun '18 15:47
    Originally posted by @philokalia
    Your thread here seems like an overreaction to me.
  3. Seongnam, S. Korea
    Moves
    10 Jun '18 22:45
    Originally posted by @kazetnagorra
    Your thread here seems like an overreaction to me.
    So you would agree with me : the journalists that believe that the video is full of white power symbolism are foolish?

Wouldn't you also say that this shows the surprising lengths to which the left goes to vilify the right?
  4. Zugzwang
    Moves
    10 Jun '18 23:18

[quote]He said: "This is so silly, the Icelandic national team became popular because of fair play and their joy; a holistic attitude to sport and support.

"Here they are (depicted) as inhuman, blood-thirsty barbarians. They are manslayers, paired with some kind of Aryan undertones. Only a qua ...[text shortened]... esteem their heritage and employ imagery to express that or... is that going way too far?
    "Is it OK for white people to esteem their heritage.."
    --Philokalia

The oh-so-oppressed racist doth protest too much, methinks.

I have noticed hardly any objection to people of Nordic heritage celebrating their Viking heritage,
    even though Vikings had a reputation for rape, plunder, and slaughtering innocent people.
  5. Seongnam, S. Korea
    Moves
    11 Jun '18 23:26
    Originally posted by @duchess64
    "Is it OK for white people to esteem their heritage.."
    --Philokalia

The oh-so-oppressed racist doth protest too much, methinks.

I have noticed hardly any objection to people of Nordic heritage celebrating their Viking heritage,
    even though Vikings had a reputation for rape, plunder, and slaughtering innocent people.
    Here is one instance of objection to the Nordic, traditional imagery that was used.

I think in other circumstances there is not so much a direct objection as there is a subtle, socially enforced rule that for certain groups to band together and press their interests it is inherently oppressive.

Do you think that is the case?
  6. SubscriberAThousandYoung
    iEn guardia, Ingles!
    tinyurl.com/y43jqfyd
    Moves
    11 Jun '18 23:281 edit
    Here is one instance of objection to the Nordic, traditional imagery that was used.

I think in other circumstances there is not so much a direct objection as there is a subtle, socially enforced rule that for certain groups to band together and press their interests it is inherently oppressive.

Do you think that is the case?
    When the majority bands together it is oppressive because they have the power to oppress due to their numbers. This is basically what Fascism is.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Golden_Dawn_(political_party)