Please turn on javascript in your browser to play chess.
Debates Forum

Debates Forum

1. 26 Feb '15 01:06
    When Eisenhower was president, the world was flat on its back after the war. Japan was making cheap products, Western Europe was victorious and broke. 75% of the WORLD's GDP was in America. It was enough for America to express a desire and the deed was done.
    The world has changed. America has over-extended itself, fought too many ridiculous wars and needs to sober up about the influence it asserts and the costs of that influence. Managing decline is harder than sitting on top of the world. Obama's job is harder than Eisenhower's. What are the options, assuming this is true?
  2. 26 Feb '15 01:14
    Yep, it is a hard job. In fact, Obama's handicap has increased even though he golfs now about every day.
  3. 26 Feb '15 01:20
    America is through.
    It's looking more and more like Mexico and Africa every day.
    Because that's what it's population is consisting more and more of.
    Canada and Europe are following in it's footsteps.
    (Waiting for the ban again just for speaking the truth)
  4. 26 Feb '15 01:37
    Originally posted by stevemcc
    When Eisenhower was president, the world was flat on its back after the war. Japan was making cheap products, Western Europe was victorious and broke. 75% of the WORLD's GDP was in America. It was enough for America to express a desire and the deed was done.
    The world has changed. America has over-extended itself, fought too many ridiculous wars and needs ...[text shortened]... the world. Obama's job is harder than Eisenhower's. What are the options, assuming this is true?
    Empires have life cycles. One step for us who are US citizens, is not to look to the Executive Branch for leadership. Look to, and demand it of, the Legislative Branch. And stop blaming Obama. He's really irrelevant in the broad sweep of history. We have met the enemy and he is us.
  5. Subscriber Kewpie
    since 1-Feb-07
    26 Feb '15 07:03 / 1 edit
    Originally posted by FishHead111
    America is through.
    It's looking more and more like Mexico and Africa every day.
    Because that's what it's population is consisting more and more of.
    Canada and Europe are following in it's footsteps.
    (Waiting for the ban again just for speaking the truth)
    America became great because of its immigrants. You're a xenophobic fool.
  6. 26 Feb '15 10:06
    Originally posted by stevemcc
    If America is in decline, who is best to lead it
    Why not deal with the 'if' part first. What do you mean by 'in decline'? I would say that America is only declining relative to other nations, and that that is a good thing for everybody including America.
    I also don't think the relative decline has anything to do with its ridiculous wars or the costs of those wars. It is simply a mater of other nations developing economically. With economic growth comes political power.

And finally, I would hope that America finally gets away from being a personality cult driven nation and can finally find a way to be lead by its people.
  7. 26 Feb '15 10:08
    The world is also tending slowly towards more decentralized power and politics with cities becoming the main political entities rather than countries.
  8. 26 Feb '15 11:31
    Originally posted by twhitehead
    The world is also tending slowly towards more decentralized power and politics with cities becoming the main political entities rather than countries.
    Oh, if only.

The main political entity even of today, and more so of tomorrow, is the multinational, and therefore beyond any justice, commercial company.

Get ready to pay up, Google Citizen #7738012.
  9. 26 Feb '15 11:37 / 1 edit
    Originally posted by Kewpie
    America became great [b]because of its immigrants. You're a xenophobic fool.[/b]
    I would say America was better before the Europeans, its wildlife was preserved, its rivers clean and its people free. I would also say the same about Australia.
  10. 26 Feb '15 11:48
    Originally posted by robbie carrobie
    I would say America was better before the Europeans, its wildlife was preserved, its rivers clean and its people free. I would also say the same about Australia.
    Nice fairy tale version of history, now go read a grown up book about aboriginal and native american life before the evil white man came along.
  11. 26 Feb '15 12:21
    I would say the same about Scotland. You Europeans should have stayed at home. You ruined it with your sheep and kilts and stuff.
  12. 26 Feb '15 12:37
    Nice fairy tale version of history, now go read a grown up book about aboriginal and native american life before the evil white man came along.
    The native Americans had an admirable environmental policy. You take what you need. This of course lies in stark contrast to European capitalism with its emphasis on exploitation and greed. I don't see what's fallacious about this nor do i need to read any literature on the subject to appreciate its clarity and simplicity. I have not commented on their life, i have commented on the environmental impact of Europeans. If you cannot get that correct I don't hold out much hope for you.
  13. Subscriber Sleepyguy
    Reepy Rastardly Guy
    26 Feb '15 12:42
    who is best to lead it...?

Scott Walker, for the win
  14. 26 Feb '15 12:48
    The native Americans had an admirable environmental policy. You take what you need. .
    LOL "environmental policy".....you make it sound as if there was some conscious effort on their part to maintain the land, etc. They were living off the land, hand to mouth, as primitives, nothing more. There wasn't any "policy" involved.
    As for being free compared to people today, tell that to the women of the various amerindian tribes, who were treated just a bit better than dogs.
  15. 26 Feb '15 13:00 / 5 edits
    LOL "environmental policy".....you make it sound as if there was some conscious effort on their part to maintain the land, etc. They were living off the land, hand to mouth, as primitives, nothing more. There wasn't any "policy" involved.
    As for being free compared to people today, tell that to the women of the various amerindian tribes, who were treated just a bit better than dogs.
    on the contrary their environmental policy was enshrined in their way of life and no doubt their religious beliefs as well and seeing that you have nothing of substance to refute the assertion that native Americans were much better custodians of the land I see no point in pressing you further because you appear quite incapable of rational thought.

No one has mentioned the treatment of women, its simply a rather silly transparent and plastic dodge to make up for your inability to actually address issues on the environment.

Have Europeans removed vast swathes of forest, created dust bowls, poisoned rivers, engaged in open cast mining , poisoned the sea, hunted animals to near extinction or have they not? Can you cite any similar occurrences of native Americans doing the same? on a similar scale? No ? then your arguments are bankrupt , devoid and empty.