Please turn on javascript in your browser to play chess.
Debates Forum

Debates Forum

  1. 27 Jan '17 23:38
    I looked it up and the census numbers that are used to determine representation in congress includes non citizens.

    Why should non citizens get representation? I think this is a left over from when slaves counted as 2/3 of a person.

    In any case, until things change, certain states will have the incentive to allow illegals.
  2. Standard member checkbaiter
    By God's Grace
    28 Jan '17 00:09
    Originally posted by Eladar
    I looked it up and the census numbers that are used to determine representation in congress includes non citizens.

    Why should non citizens get representation? I think this is a left over from when slaves counted as 2/3 of a person.

    In any case, until things change, certain states will have the incentive to allow illegals.
    I did look it up. It is true and unbelievable! What has this country turned into? How many countries have representation for illegals? Mexico? I don't think so.

    Illegal Immigrants Distort Congressional Representation and Federal Programs

    http://www.fairus.org/issue/illegal-immigrants-distort-congressional-representation-and-federal-programs
  3. Subscriber no1marauder
    It's Nice to Be Nice
    28 Jan '17 03:10
    Originally posted by Eladar
    I looked it up and the census numbers that are used to determine representation in congress includes non citizens.

    Why should non citizens get representation? I think this is a left over from when slaves counted as 2/3 of a person.

    In any case, until things change, certain states will have the incentive to allow illegals.
    Have you ever read the US Constitution? Check out the 14th Amendment, Section 2:

    Representatives shall be apportioned among the several states according to their respective numbers, counting the whole number of persons in each state, excluding Indians not taxed.
  4. Subscriber no1marauder
    It's Nice to Be Nice
    28 Jan '17 03:11
    Originally posted by checkbaiter
    I did look it up. It is true and unbelievable! What has this country turned into? How many countries have representation for illegals? Mexico? I don't think so.

    Illegal Immigrants Distort Congressional Representation and Federal Programs

    http://www.fairus.org/issue/illegal-immigrants-distort-congressional-representation-and-federal-programs
    It's unbelievable how little US right wingers know of the fundamental law of their own country.
  5. 28 Jan '17 03:13
    Originally posted by no1marauder
    Have you ever read the US Constitution? Check out the 14th Amendment, Section 2:

    Representatives shall be apportioned among the several states according to their respective numbers, [b]counting the whole number of persons in each state
    , excluding Indians not taxed.[/b]
    As I said, left over from the slave era where the south wanted more representation.
  6. Subscriber no1marauder
    It's Nice to Be Nice
    28 Jan '17 03:16 / 1 edit
    Originally posted by Eladar
    As I said, left over from the slave era where the south wanted more representation.
    LMAO! The 14th Amendment was passed after slavery was abolished.
  7. 28 Jan '17 03:31 / 1 edit
    Originally posted by no1marauder
    LMAO! The 14th Amendment was passed after slavery was abolished.
    Still tied to the slave era. It had to do with blacks being counted, now as whole persons.
  8. 28 Jan '17 03:52 / 2 edits
    It was 3/5 not 2/3.

    We obviously need an amendment to fix it.
  9. Standard member shavixmironline
    Guppy poo
    28 Jan '17 06:44
    Originally posted by Eladar
    It was 3/5 not 2/3.

    We obviously need an amendment to fix it.
    Yet don't touch gun laws...
  10. 28 Jan '17 13:03
    Originally posted by shavixmir
    Yet don't touch gun laws...
    I'm all for doing away with some Gun laws.
  11. Standard member checkbaiter
    By God's Grace
    28 Jan '17 16:21
    Originally posted by no1marauder
    Have you ever read the US Constitution? Check out the 14th Amendment, Section 2:

    Representatives shall be apportioned among the several states according to their respective numbers, [b]counting the whole number of persons in each state
    , excluding Indians not taxed.[/b]
    The difference here is the slaves were brought in while the illegals are not.
  12. Subscriber no1marauder
    It's Nice to Be Nice
    28 Jan '17 17:50
    Originally posted by checkbaiter
    The difference here is the slaves were brought in while the illegals are not.
    Actually most slaves were born here by 1860 but that isn't important; even if your statement was true it does not change the plain meaning of the 14th Amendment's words in bold above.
  13. 28 Jan '17 18:00
    I personally think democracy should be democracy and all residents should vote and all non-residents should not. I think it is despicable how many countries deny prisoners the right to vote and even in some cases people with a criminal record who have served time (as well as foreign residents). Switzerland is guilty of keeping a large number of residents as 'foreigners' despite them being born there just so that they can deny them a vote.
  14. 29 Jan '17 01:54 / 1 edit
    Originally posted by no1marauder
    Have you ever read the US Constitution? Check out the 14th Amendment, Section 2:

    Representatives shall be apportioned among the several states according to their respective numbers, [b]counting the whole number of persons in each state
    , excluding Indians not taxed.[/b]
    And have you read the Constitution, Article 4? I'm sure you have, but for you, the Constitution is just a tool to achieve your given political objectives, and not to actually follow

    Section 4. The United States shall guarantee to every State in this Union a Republican Form of Government, and shall protect each of them against Invasion; and on Application of the Legislature, or of the Executive (when the Legislature cannot be convened) against domestic Violence.

    Why is the government not protecting the citizens from the invasion from Mexico?
  15. Subscriber no1marauder
    It's Nice to Be Nice
    29 Jan '17 05:26 / 2 edits
    Originally posted by whodey
    And have you read the Constitution, Article 4? I'm sure you have, but for you, the Constitution is just a tool to achieve your given political objectives, and not to actually follow

    Section 4. The United States shall guarantee to every State in this Union a Republican Form of Government, and shall protect each of them against Invasion; and on Application ...[text shortened]... ic Violence.

    Why is the government not protecting the citizens from the invasion from Mexico?
    The Framers wouldn't have considered immigration an "invasion". Anyway, although you pretend otherwise, the Feds deport hundreds of thousands each year. https://www.ice.gov/removal-statistics/2016

    Since you have so little knowledge of the philosophy of the Framers and have scorn for the principles upon which the Constitution is based, it's not surprising you make such ludicrous errors.