Please turn on javascript in your browser to play chess.
Debates Forum

Debates Forum

1. 29 Aug '13 23:41
    I smoked most of my life, started at 16 .
    I quit when I was 56.
    I'm 62 now and feel great. Jog every morning, no health problems at all.
    Why not light up again?
    How long will I live if I don't start up? 75? 80? More? Why would anyone want to live beyond that?
    I enjoyed every puff for 40 years and don't see the point in denying myself the pleasure of a butt now and again now that I see the light at the end of the tunnel.
    Thoughts?
  2. 29 Aug '13 23:44
    Originally posted by KilgoreTrout15
    I quit when I was 56.
    Why not light up again?
    How long will I live if I don't start up? 75? 80? More? Why would anyone want to live beyond that?
    I enjoyed every puff for 40 years and don't see the point in denying myself the pleasure of a butt now and again now that I see the light at the end of the tunnel.
    Thoughts?
    When I quit smoking, you could get a carton of generics for five dollars (US). Now you can't get a pack for that. So many places have banned smoking, including many apartments. It's in the lease that you can't smoke inside. Times have changed! I wouldn't start again for financial reasons.
  3. 29 Aug '13 23:49
    I quit when I was 56.
    Why not light up again?
    Thoughts?
    I never smoked until I was well into my 50s. I enjoyed exceptional health, including running and racewalking near Olympic qualifying standards in marathon, 10k and 20K distance events. I quit competition, got a bit fat, took a couple of years off training, and started smoking cigars which I enjoyed completely. I am now 70, have COPD, am still reasonably healthy otherwise, but I wish I had never smoked. Even now when I smell a great Dominican cigar, I am reminded that my breathing problems originated there.
  4. 30 Aug '13 01:31
    I quit when I was 56.
    Why not light up again?
    Thoughts?
    Hmm?

Picture your last minutes gasping for air till you die.

There are better ways to go.
  5. 30 Aug '13 01:58
    I quit when I was 56.
    Why not light up again?
    Thoughts?
    I've never even taken a puff from a cigarette or cigar. Not even slightly tempted by it.
  6. 30 Aug '13 04:18 / 1 edit
    Originally posted by techsouth
    I've never even taken a puff from a cigarette or cigar. Not even slightly tempted by it.
    Makes you wonder how it all started. Maybe some poor chap got caught in an ancient forest fire and just like breathing in the fumes.

The next thing you know he turns into a arsonist.
  7. 30 Aug '13 04:29
    I quit when I was 56.
    Why not light up again?
    Thoughts?
    Just promise not to rely on Obamacare for your treatment. OK?
  8. Subscriber AThousandYoung
    Poor Filipov :,(
    30 Aug '13 04:36
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tobacco_smoke_enema
  9. 30 Aug '13 08:12
    I quit when I was 56.
    Why not light up again?
    Thoughts?
    i never understood how anyone enjoys smoking, ever. i smoke occasionally in social gatherings, more like a form of bonding. other than that, it is basically like sucking on an exhaust pipe

now weed on the other hand... that i can understand. weed is awesome.
  10. 30 Aug '13 11:38
    Originally posted by Zahlanzi
    i never understood how anyone enjoys smoking, ever. i smoke occasionally in social gatherings, more like a form of bonding. other than that, it is basically like sucking on an exhaust pipe

now weed on the other hand... that i can understand. weed is awesome.
    Smoking sucks. It's disgusting and unpleasant for everyone around you as well as cancerous. Why self-destruct?
  11. 30 Aug '13 12:14 / 1 edit
    Originally posted by Tygert
    Smoking sucks. It's disgusting and unpleasant for everyone around you as well as cancerous. Why self-destruct?
    I'd say that if you are tired of being able to breath and have entirely too much money on your hands, smoking may be for you!!
  12. Standard member sh76
    Civis Americanus Sum
    30 Aug '13 12:50
    I quit when I was 56.
    Why not light up again?
    Thoughts?
    Everything is a series of balancing tests. If you think that increasing your potential for suffering a horrific death by lung cancer is worth the pleasure, go for it. I'd also consider the effect of the second hand smoke on your family and friends. But ultimately, its your choice.
  13. 30 Aug '13 14:47 / 1 edit
    I stopped smoking and then developed acid reflux, I used to wake startled in the middle of the night choking ,couldn't breath until I sat upright . I swore it was the missus strangling me in the night but it turned out it was a side affect of stopping smoking according to my doc. After having a camera down my throat that was enough for me to never want to start again ..
  14. 30 Aug '13 16:02 / 1 edit
    If you smoke you die. If you don't smoke you die. You've got one life and you will die, so if you want to smoke then go for it.

Personally I've never seen the use, nor would I want my kids to do it, but it's still a free world.
  15. Standard member bill718
    Enigma
    30 Aug '13 16:13
    I quit when I was 56.
    Why not light up again?
    Thoughts?
    OK...so, smoke! Why tell us about it??