Please turn on javascript in your browser to play chess.
Debates Forum

Debates Forum

  1. Standard member sh76
    Civis Americanus Sum
    07 Nov '12 13:16
    http://www.realclearpolitics.com/video/2012/11/07/chris_matthews_im_so_glad_we_had_that_storm_last_week.html

    I have some things to say about MSNBC's hideous lowbrow performance last night, which I'll get to later. But to whet the appetite, what do you think of Chris' quote? Especially you, no1?
  2. 07 Nov '12 13:47
    Wasn't able to look at the link yet, but that looks like a ridiculous statement.

    Generally Obama came out looking good from how he handled the storm but I think he would have been likely to win even if the storm didn't hit.

    Of course it is in pretty bad taste to be thankful for an event that killed people and affected so many people.
  3. 07 Nov '12 13:51
    Originally posted by PsychoPawn
    Wasn't able to look at the link yet, but that looks like a ridiculous statement.

    Generally Obama came out looking good from how he handled the storm but I think he would have been likely to win even if the storm didn't hit.

    Of course it is in pretty bad taste to be thankful for an event that killed people and affected so many people.
    Matthews has no taste or class.
  4. 07 Nov '12 14:17
    Originally posted by dryhump
    Matthews has no taste or class.
    In his slight defense, he did qualify it after with "No, politically I should say. Not in terms of hurting people."

    So in complete context I would say this is just an idiotically phrased statement that the storm was an unfortunate event that had some positive political consequences.

    He's on effing tv every day so he should know how to express himself better though.
  5. 07 Nov '12 14:23
    I saw him say that live and did an immediate face palm. It was an incredibly stupid and insensitive thing to say. That said, no high ground goes to the right wingers who are (despite their rhetoric) gleeful that he said it. I think Chris Matthews immediately realized how far down his throat he shoved his foot, but on the spot there's nothing he could have said to recover from it.
  6. Standard member sh76
    Civis Americanus Sum
    07 Nov '12 14:47 / 1 edit
    Originally posted by PsychoPawn
    In his slight defense, he did qualify it after with "No, politically I should say. Not in terms of hurting people."

    So in complete context I would say this is just an idiotically phrased statement that the storm was an unfortunate event that had some positive political consequences.

    He's on effing tv every day so he should know how to express himself better though.
    He qualified it because Maddow all but slapped him in the face. No credit to Mr. thrill-up-the-leg there.
  7. 07 Nov '12 19:19
    Originally posted by sh76
    http://www.realclearpolitics.com/video/2012/11/07/chris_matthews_im_so_glad_we_had_that_storm_last_week.html

    I have some things to say about MSNBC's hideous lowbrow performance last night, which I'll get to later. But to whet the appetite, what do you think of Chris' quote? Especially you, no1?
    That's over the top. Not Matthews' first time, and probably won't be the last. Unfortunately, it's one of the reasons he gets the ratings.
  8. Standard member Bosse de Nage
    Zellulärer Automat
    07 Nov '12 19:20 / 1 edit
    OK the election is old news now, the world is bored with your secret Muslim President from Indonesia.

    Edit: from Atlantis.
  9. 07 Nov '12 20:21
    Originally posted by Kunsoo
    That's over the top. Not Matthews' first time, and probably won't be the last. Unfortunately, it's one of the reasons he gets the ratings.
    He's partisan but he isn't a Limbaugh style political shock jock. No doubt he really wishes he could have a do over. I see a huge apology coming in the near future. I'll be watching for it tonight.
  10. 08 Nov '12 01:38
    Originally posted by USArmyParatrooper
    He's partisan but he isn't a Limbaugh style political shock jock. No doubt he really wishes he could have a do over. I see a huge apology coming in the near future. I'll be watching for it tonight.
    Yep. He opened up with it.

    http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/3036697/
  11. Standard member sh76
    Civis Americanus Sum
    08 Nov '12 03:06
    Originally posted by USArmyParatrooper
    Yep. He opened up with it.

    http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/3036697/
    Okay, I'll give him a pass. A little mealy mouthed with the "What i should have said..." bit but he seems sincere enough (or maybe they told him he'd better apologize or he's fired). Either way, people say dumb things sometimes and it's not fair to hold them to every one. Good enough job on the apology.

    I hope Matthews himself is more understanding the next time a conservative public figure slips up like that.
  12. 08 Nov '12 03:17
    Originally posted by sh76
    Okay, I'll give him a pass. A little mealy mouthed with the "What i should have said..." bit but he seems sincere enough (or maybe they told him he'd better apologize or he's fired). Either way, people say dumb things sometimes and it's not fair to hold them to every one. Good enough job on the apology.

    I hope Matthews himself is more understanding the next time a conservative public figure slips up like that.
    We no longer get MSNBC or FoxNews (or CNBC): somehow I think we're missing out on a lot of slapstick comedy . . .
  13. 08 Nov '12 03:21
    Originally posted by sh76
    Okay, I'll give him a pass. A little mealy mouthed with the "What i should have said..." bit but he seems sincere enough (or maybe they told him he'd better apologize or he's fired). Either way, people say dumb things sometimes and it's not fair to hold them to every one. Good enough job on the apology.

    I hope Matthews himself is more understanding the next time a conservative public figure slips up like that.
    "or maybe they told him he'd better apologize or he's fired"

    LOL!

    You used to be one of the sane Republicans. At what point did you become indoctrinated?

    I'm sure he would give them a pass if one of them actually gave a heartfelt apology.
  14. Standard member sh76
    Civis Americanus Sum
    08 Nov '12 03:35
    Originally posted by USArmyParatrooper
    "or maybe they told him he'd better apologize or he's fired"

    LOL!

    You used to be one of the sane Republicans. At what point did you become indoctrinated?

    I'm sure he would give them a pass if one of them actually gave a heartfelt apology.
    Are you okay? That was a parenthetical. In the whole of my post I think I was pretty magnanimous considering how he has treated the Romney campaign over the past months.

    Get a grip, man. Seriously.
  15. 08 Nov '12 03:40
    Originally posted by sh76
    Are you okay? That was a parenthetical. In the whole of my post I think I was pretty magnanimous considering how he has treated the Romney campaign over the past months.

    Get a grip, man. Seriously.
    How he has treated Romney? What has he done to Romney besides speak differing political opinions?

    Whether you agree with CM or not, there's absolutely no reason to believe he would have to have his job threatened in order to apologize. The fact that that even crossed your mind just shows how out of touch with reality you are.