Debates Forum

Debates Forum

1. Joined
    04 Feb '05
    Moves
    13 Aug '16 11:10
    Originally posted by sonhouse
    Just out of curiosity what makes you think Duchess64 is NOT a non-white woman? What evidence would you present in a court of law?
    that's not important. don't let him divert the subject from the fact that he considers rape an unimportant enough crime to allow the rapist off light on first offence.
  2. Account suspended
    Moves
    13 Aug '16 12:241 edit
    Juries have no place at rape trials – victims deserve unprejudiced justice.

The idea is based upon the idea that jurors are prejudiced from the outset, subject to and conditioned by media bias and a veiled mythology which requires special training to assimilate facts and render a judgement. It appears to me to set a very dangerous precedent and I doubt that any of these reasons should get in the way of due process and the right to be tried by ones peers.

https://www.theguardian.com/commentisfree/2016/aug/12/juries-no-place-rape-trials-victims-deserve-unprejudiced-justice-judge
  3. Subscriberno1marauder
    Humble and Kind
    In the Gazette
    Moves
    13 Aug '16 14:01
    Originally posted by Zahlanzi
    the "even" qualifier places it in the context of a 6 months sentence. of freakin course 2 years for rape is not acceptable
    It was then according to you, now it isn't.

Consistency apparently isn't very important to you.
  4. Subscriberno1marauder
    Humble and Kind
    In the Gazette
    Moves
    13 Aug '16 14:01
    that's not important. don't let him divert the subject from the fact that he considers rape an unimportant enough crime to allow the rapist off light on first offence.
    I'm diverting the subject?🙄🙄🙄🙄🙄🙄🙄
  5. Subscriberno1marauder
    Humble and Kind
    In the Gazette
    Moves
    13 Aug '16 14:061 edit
    Originally posted by robbie carrobie
    Juries have no place at rape trials – victims deserve unprejudiced justice.

The idea is based upon the idea that jurors are prejudiced from the outset, subject to and conditioned by media bias and a veiled mythology which requires special training to assimilate facts and render a judgement. It appears to me to set a very dangerous precedent and I ...[text shortened]... commentisfree/2016/aug/12/juries-no-place-rape-trials-victims-deserve-unprejudiced-justice-judge
    Obviously Judges aren't qualified either as these types of threads constantly complain about their sentencing decisions.

The only solution, then, is to simply do away with trials in sexual assault cases; alleged victims claims are to be treated as automatic proof of guilt and the defendant punished according to what the complainant desires (after all, Judges might be too lenient).
  6. Subscriberno1marauder
    Humble and Kind
    In the Gazette
    Moves
    13 Aug '16 14:58
    "I doubt a person with no criminal record who gets two years in jail and 20 years probation thinks "they didn't do much about it"."
    even if this insane argument would work and i am definitely not saying it does, another person with no criminal record and no conscience might reasonably consider raping someone because, hey, rape is hardly reported anyway, it ...[text shortened]... ing to say that it is right for a rapist to get 6 months or work release if it's his first rape?
    Or you might get 2 years in jail and have to be on probation for at least 20 years. Or you might get prison time.

I doubt potential rapists are really going to be "encouraged" by the sentence given in this case. Perhaps you have some empirical evidence indicating that jail sentences do not deter this type of crime?
  7. Zugzwang
    Moves
    13 Aug '16 21:292 edits
    Originally posted by sonhouse to No1Marauder
    Just out of curiosity what makes you think Duchess64 is NOT a non-white woman?
    What evidence would you present in a court of law?
    Indeed, No1Marauder claimed that he has 'observed' in my 'prior posts' that I must be white.
    But No1Marauder has been unable to cite even one shred of any such evidence.
    No1Marauder's racism and sexism are evident.

And why might No1Marauder even (far too late!) 'ask' (sarcasm) me about who I am
    when for many years No1Marauder always has arrogantly acted like he ALREADY KNEW it?

If No1Marauder dared to hurl the same abuse and lies in a court of law that he often
    does at RHP, then I hope that the judge would soon put a stop to him.
  8. Subscribersonhouse
    Fast and Curious
    slatington, pa, usa
    Moves
    13 Aug '16 21:43
    Originally posted by Duchess64
    Indeed, No1Marauder claimed that he has 'observed' in my 'prior posts' that I must be white.
    But No1Marauder has been unable to cite even one shred of any such evidence.
    No1Marauder's racism and sexism are evident.

And why might No1Marauder even (far too late!) 'ask' (sarcasm) me about who I am
    when for many years No1Marauder always has arrogantly ac ...[text shortened]... urt of law that he often
    does at RHP, then I hope that the judge would soon put a stop to him.
    I might be masquerading, in reality a Jewish Antisemitic female like a feminine Bobby Fischer, pretending to be a regular white upper middle class dude but there would be no way outside of tracking down my IP address and getting into my house as to the veracity of my claims.
  9. Zugzwang
    Moves
    13 Aug '16 22:041 edit
    Originally posted by sonhouse
    I might be masquerading, in reality a Jewish Antisemitic female like a feminine Bobby Fischer, pretending to be a regular white upper middle class dude but there would be no way outside of tracking down my IP address and getting into my house as to the veracity of my claims.
    First of all, No1Marauder has a long record of presuming whenever it suits him that I must be lying.
    So no matter what I wrote about myself, No1Marauder would choose to disbelieve it whenever it suited him.

That said, one can make plausible inferences based upon the evidence of one's posts.
    When I notice a writer who routinely makes the same basic errors in English grammar
    and usage, I would conclude that the writer's lying if one claimed to be a professor of English.
    Likewise, a thoughtful reader (in contrast to the many fools here) could make some
    plausible inferences about my background, given my preference to write in formal English,
    my erudition on some subjects, my awareness of women's issues, or even my chess rating.

But I fail to see how that could add up to the conclusion that I must be white.
    There's nothing wrong with being white, of course, if it's your matter of birth.
    I have no problem, however, with someone saying that one's proud to be non-white
    when that means that one had to overcome racism to succeed in a racist society.
  10. Zugzwang
    Moves
    13 Aug '16 22:122 edits
    While I expect to keep being misrepresented by my usual trolls, my main aim in creating
    this thread was to draw attention to the impact of sexual assault upon this victim's life.
    I believed that would be best achieved by allowing her to speak in her own words.

I note with disdain that the victim's statement seems to be ignored by the likes of No1Marauder.
    Contrary to what No1Marauder apparently has claimed, the victim strongly believes that
    her rapist (I expect a quibble about 'sexual assault' ) should have received a harsher
    sentence and she would have felt safer as a consequence. I do *not* believe, of course,
    that the victim should be allowed to determine the punishment (I await No1Marauder's 'strawman'.)

In short, I empathize with the victim and am ready to listen seriously to her concerns and fears.
    And I note that some men here--as I expected--have shown no empathy for the victim.
    My emphasis is more on listening to and supporting women than (as trolls like to claim) hating men.
  11. Joined
    04 Feb '05
    Moves
    13 Aug '16 23:271 edit
    Originally posted by no1marauder
    It was then according to you, now it isn't.

Consistency apparently isn't very important to you.
    "It was then according to you, now it isn't."
    i explained what i meant, even though the context in which i said it was clear. i give exactly 0 damns that you can't understand a simple sentence.
  12. Joined
    04 Feb '05
    Moves
    13 Aug '16 23:37
    Or you might get 2 years in jail and have to be on probation for at least 20 years. Or you might get prison time.

I doubt potential rapists are really going to be "encouraged" by the sentence given in this case. Perhaps you have some empirical evidence indicating that jail sentences do not deter this type of crime?
    "Or you might get 2 years in jail and have to be on probation for at least 20 years. Or you might get prison time."
    or how about, for a horrible crime such as rape you give harder punishments than you give for possession of drugs.

"Perhaps you have some empirical evidence indicating that jail sentences do not deter this type of crime?"
    what are you saying exactly, that 2 years is enough for rape?
  13. Subscriberno1marauder
    Humble and Kind
    In the Gazette
    Moves
    14 Aug '16 14:49
    "Or you might get 2 years in jail and have to be on probation for at least 20 years. Or you might get prison time."
    or how about, for a horrible crime such as rape you give harder punishments than you give for possession of drugs.

"Perhaps you have some empirical evidence indicating that jail sentences do not deter this type of crime?"
    what are you saying exactly, that 2 years is enough for rape?
    Use of recreational drugs should be legalized, so that is a red herring.

Colorado and all States that I know of do say that two years for rape MAY be an appropriate sentence based on individualized consideration of the case.
  14. Joined
    04 Feb '05
    Moves
    14 Aug '16 16:581 edit
    Use of recreational drugs should be legalized, so that is a red herring.

Colorado and all States that I know of do say that two years for rape MAY be an appropriate sentence based on individualized consideration of the case.
    "Use of recreational drugs should be legalized, so that is a red herring."
    until it is, you are advocating giving the same sentence (in many cases lower) to someone guilty of rape as to someone caught with some cocaine meant for personal use.

"Colorado and all States that I know of do say that two years for rape MAY be an appropriate sentence based on individualized consideration of the case."
    i kept letting you hide behind what some laws in some state say. what do you think? is 2 years enough for rape?

do you want to treat rape as a minor crime because you're incapable of empathy ?
  15. Subscriberno1marauder
    Humble and Kind
    In the Gazette
    Moves
    14 Aug '16 18:14
    "Use of recreational drugs should be legalized, so that is a red herring."
    until it is, you are advocating giving the same sentence (in many cases lower) to someone guilty of rape as to someone caught with some cocaine meant for personal use.

"Colorado and all States that I know of do say that two years for rape MAY be an appropriate sentence based on ...[text shortened]... gh for rape?

do you want to treat rape as a minor crime because you're incapable of empathy ?
    Empathy for a crime victim does not equate with insisting on maximum punishments in any and all cases.