Please turn on javascript in your browser to play chess.
Debates Forum

Debates Forum

1. 28 Mar '10 02:30 / 1 edit
    Now that insurance companies are not allowed to charge higher premiums for "high risk" individuals because of Obamacare, why not do the same for every other type of insurance? In fact, if you have had 300 accidents in the past year and no insurance company will cover you, shouldn't the government step in and demand that all car insurance premiums go up for everyone so that the person with 300 accidents can get coverage? In fact, what about life insurance? Shouldn't the government mandate that all of our premiums go up so that a man in perfect health at the age of 30 will be paying the same premiums as someone who is 100 years old and on life support? Of course, the only way this will work is for the government to step in and mandate that EVERYONE have car insurance and life insurance, but hey, who cares right?
  2. Subscriber Wajoma
    Die Cheeseburger
    28 Mar '10 02:34
    Originally posted by whodey
    Now that insurance companies are not allowed to charge higher premiums for "high risk" individuals because of Obamacare, why not do the same for every other type of insurance? In fact, if you have had 300 accidents in the past year and no insurance company will cover you, shouldn't the government step in and demand that all car insurance premiums go up for e ...[text shortened]... n and mandate that EVERYONE have car insurance and life insurance, but hey, who cares right?
    I'd like to see free medical care for all cars.
  3. 28 Mar '10 02:40
    Originally posted by Wajoma
    I'd like to see free medical care for all cars.
    One step at a time. First we must have access to insurance to drive a car then we will move on to insurance to have cars repaired. That way someone driving a 1970 dodge dart on its last legs will have equal coverage to that of a brand new Honda CRV. We MUST take the risk aspect out of insurance to be "fair" to all.
  4. Standard member sh76
    Civis Americanus Sum
    28 Mar '10 03:05 / 2 edits
    Now that insurance companies are not allowed to charge higher premiums for "high risk" individuals because of Obamacare, why not do the same for every other type of insurance? In fact, if you have had 300 accidents in the past year and no insurance company will cover you, shouldn't the government step in and demand that all car insurance premiums go up for e n and mandate that EVERYONE have car insurance and life insurance, but hey, who cares right?
    You do need car insurance already... if you want to drive, that is.

The thing is that health "insurance" is not really "insurance." It's a prepaid healthcare plan, really.

Life insurance is not really a necessity, so deregulation of the industry worked wonders. Term life insurance is extremely cheap and easy to purchase. Deregulation of car insurance has also worked brilliantly. Allowing companies to sell across state lines has slashed the costs. Penalties against bad drivers in the forms of higher premiums are something that can be controlled by the drivers. Also, liability caps allow insurance companies to keep premiums reasonable.

Deregulating health insurance without a public option, though, is more problematic. Healthcare is an absolute necessity. Also, capping insurance payments would do more to cause the health expense related bankruptcies that everyone is so worked up about. People also cannot, by and large, control their risk factors (although there are notable exceptions, such as smoking). I'm all for this type of deregulation with a public option though.
  5. 28 Mar '10 03:30 / 6 edits
    Originally posted by sh76
    You do need car insurance already... if you want to drive, that is.

The thing is that health "insurance" is not really "insurance." It's a prepaid healthcare plan, really.

Life insurance is not really a necessity, so deregulation of the industry worked wonders. Term life insurance is extremely cheap and easy to purchase. Deregulation of car insurance has ...[text shortened]... ions, such as smoking). I'm all for this type of deregulation with a public option though.
    You nailed it on the head. Insurance that does not factor in risk is not really insurance, its an entitlement.

Having said that, why not an entitlement to drive? You seem to indicate that not everyone has to drive, but not everyone has to have health insurance either. In fact, I went a number of years without any and I have heard that some "well to do" types CHOOSE to pay out of pocket. You also seem to think that mishaps in regards to automobile accidents are all "controlled". However, some people simply cannot drive worht a $$@@ for whatever reason. Perhaps it is bad judgement, perhaps it is bad eye sight, perhaps they are female....er...um.....just kidding gals. BTW, stop trying to chage the focus of what I'm trying to say by framing as a sexist!!

As I was saying, in my earlier years I had a minor fender bender and got a speeding ticket and I was in my teens. My insurance company then cut me loose and no other insurance company would cover me without paying insanely high premiums I could not afford. The fender bender in question was really not even my fault even though I was cited for it. I simply had the misfortune of hitting a patch of black ice on the road, granted, I owned the speeding ticket. So what was I to do? I needed to work and needed wheels to get there. So for a while I was forced to drive without insurance at times. So where was Big Brothers social justice for Whodey?
  6. 28 Mar '10 21:35
    You nailed it on the head. Insurance that does not factor in risk is not really insurance, its an entitlement.

Having said that, why not an entitlement to drive? You seem to indicate that not everyone has to drive, but not everyone has to have health insurance either. In fact, I went a number of years without any and I have heard that some "well to do" ...[text shortened]... to drive without insurance at times. So where was Big Brothers social justice for Whodey?
    Bingo, claim your prize at the front desk.
  7. 29 Mar '10 13:03 / 2 edits
    As I was saying, in my earlier years I had a minor fender bender and got a speeding ticket and I was in my teens. My insurance company then cut me loose and no other insurance company would cover me without paying insanely high premiums I could not afford. The fender bender in question was really not even my fault even though I was cited for it. I simply h ...[text shortened]... orced to drive without insurance at times. So where was Big Brothers social justice for Whodey?
    this is actually a pretty good analogy to the healthcare situation.

Through no fault of your own, you found yourself unable to get insurance. So you ended up having to "drive without insurance" and just hope against hope that a cop didn't decide to pull you over.

Very similar to the person with a pre-existing condition - who ends up having to "drive through life" without insurance, hoping against hope...

As for your specific situation, it is definitely unfair that one fender bender due to black ice should render a person uninsurable, and thus unable to legally drive. Do you have any ideas for what can be done to make this situation more fair?
  8. 29 Mar '10 19:21
    Originally posted by Melanerpes
    this is actually a pretty good analogy to the healthcare situation.

Through no fault of your own, you found yourself unable to get insurance. So you ended up having to "drive without insurance" and just hope against hope that a cop didn't decide to pull you over.

Very similar to the person with a pre-existing condition - who ends up having to "drive ...[text shortened]... legally drive. Do you have any ideas for what can be done to make this situation more fair?
    Like I said, the government owes me. Whodey needs compensated!!

Edit: Just pm me with the form of payment desired.
  9. 29 Mar '10 19:37 / 1 edit
    Like I said, the government owes me. Whodey needs compensated!!

Edit: Just pm me with the form of payment desired.
    That would be one approach. See if any friends or neighbors would be willing to help you through a bad situation. But in your case, that didn't seem to work very well. You chose instead to take your chances at disobeying the law and hope you got away with it. I guess you were lucky.

Do you have any other ideas for how other people could deal with the situation you were stuck in? Or would you advocate doing the same thing you did?
  10. 30 Mar '10 00:00
    Now that insurance companies are not allowed to charge higher premiums for "high risk" individuals because of Obamacare, why not do the same for every other type of insurance? In fact, if you have had 300 accidents in the past year and no insurance company will cover you, shouldn't the government step in and demand that all car insurance premiums go up for e ...[text shortened]... n and mandate that EVERYONE have car insurance and life insurance, but hey, who cares right?
    The Henny Penny reaction to the health care debate is droll at best.

I could not afford health care 2 years ago. I can not afford health care today. I'm pretty certain I won't have health care in 2012.

It is much ado about nothing to me.
  11. 31 Mar '10 03:24
    Originally posted by Melanerpes
    That would be one approach. See if any friends or neighbors would be willing to help you through a bad situation. But in your case, that didn't seem to work very well. You chose instead to take your chances at disobeying the law and hope you got away with it. I guess you were lucky.

Do you have any other ideas for how other people could deal with the situation you were stuck in? Or would you advocate doing the same thing you did?
    People do what they have to in order to survive. I don't advocate doing what I did, perhaps I should have asked for help, but I simply could not bring myself to do so from people I knew were tapped out as well. I guess that is one of the reasons I abhor the Obamacare approach. He is tapping into those who are already tapped out like myself and he doesn't much care.