Debates Forum

Debates Forum

1. Joined
    02 Jan '06
    Moves
    30 Oct '18 11:50
    What constitutes an invasion?

This is an interesting definition from wiki:

In the 20th and 21st centuries, questions arose regarding the effectiveness of the invasion strategy in neutralizing non-state combatants, a type of warfare sometimes referred to as "fourth generation warfare". In this case, one or more combatant groups are controlled not by a centralized state government but by independent leadership, and these groups may be made up of civilians, foreign agents, mercenaries, politicians, religious leaders, and members of the regular military. These groups act in smaller numbers, are not confined by borders, and do not necessarily depend on the direct support of the state. Groups such as these are not easily defeated by straightforward invasion, or even constant occupation; the country's regular army may be defeated, the government may be replaced, but asymmetric warfare on the part of these groups can be continued indefinitely.[12] Because regular armed forces units do not have the flexibility and independence of small covert cells, many believe that the concept of a powerful occupying force actually creates a disadvantage.[13]

An opposing theory holds that, in response to extremist ideology and unjust governments, an invasion can change the government and reeducate the people, making prolonged resistance unlikely and averting future violence. This theory acknowledges that these changes may take time—generations, in some cases—but holds that immediate benefits may still be won by reducing membership in, and choking the supply lines of, these covert cells. Proponents of the invasion strategy in such conflicts maintain the belief that a strong occupying force can still succeed in its goals on a tactical level, building upon numerous small victories, similar to a war of attrition.[14]

Contemporary debate on this issue is still fresh; neither side can claim to know for certain which strategies will ultimately be effective in defeating non-state combatants. Opponents of the invasion strategy point to a lack of examples in which occupying or peacekeeping forces have met with conclusive success.[15] They also cite continuing conflicts such as Northern Ireland, Israel, Chechnya, and Iraq, as well as examples which they claim ultimately proved to be failures, such as Lebanon, and Afghanistan. Supporters of the invasion strategy hold that it is too soon to call those situations failures, and that patience is needed to see the plan through. Some say that the invasions themselves have, in fact, been successful, but that political opponents[16] and the international media[17] skew the facts for sensationalism or political gain.
  2. Subscriberdivegeester
    Leave Means Leave
    Voting not marching!
    Moves
    30 Oct '18 13:101 edit
    Gadaffi speaking of Islam “will conquer Europe in a few decades”

YouTube (from 2:44 ish)

Al Jazeera April 10th 2006.
  3. Germany
    Moves
    30 Oct '18 15:22
    @whodey said
    Pretty sure that a handful of people legally requesting asylum isn't it.
  4. Joined
    02 Jan '06
    Moves
    30 Oct '18 15:26
    @kazetnagorra said
    Pretty sure that a handful of people legally requesting asylum isn't it.
    Requesting or demanding?

My guess is that none of them will take no for an answer, and neither will you.
  5. Germany
    Moves
    30 Oct '18 15:28
    @whodey said
    Requesting or demanding?

What does that mean? Do you think I will appeal on behalf of migrants if their asylum applications are rejected?
  6. Joined
    16 Jan '07
    Moves
    30 Oct '18 15:30
    @whodey said

This is an interesting definition from wiki:

In the 20th and 21st centuries, questions arose regarding the effectiveness of the invasion strategy in neutralizing non-state combatants, a type of warfare sometimes referred to as "fourth generation warfare". In this case, one or more combatant groups are controlled not by a centralized state go ...[text shortened]... l opponents[16] and the international media[17] skew the facts for sensationalism or political gain.
    "What constitutes an invasion?" - Iraq 2003 would be a good place to start your research.
  7. Standard memberHandyAndy
    Non sum qualis eram
    At the edge
    Moves
    30 Oct '18 15:34
    @whodey said
    Requesting or demanding?

Maybe we could swap you for a couple of "them."
  8. Joined
    02 Jan '06
    Moves
    30 Oct '18 17:15
    @handyandy said
    Maybe we could swap you for a couple of "them."
    I am confident that the Swamp would do so if they could.

They would much rather have people who are uneducated and poor and have little understanding as to what governs them and will more than likely jump on the "free everything" bus than they would want me.
  9. Germany
    Moves
    30 Oct '18 18:05
    @whodey said

They would much rather have people who are uneducated and poor and have little understanding as to what governs them and will more than likely jump on the "free everything" bus than they would want me.
    I didn't realize you were educated, whodey - you managed to hide that quite well. What are your academic credentials?
  10. Standard membershavixmir
    Guppy poo
    Sewers of Holland
    Moves
    30 Oct '18 19:21
    @divegeester said
    Gadaffi speaking of Islam “will conquer Europe in a few decades”

[youtube]WCGYKSEsYFM[/youtube] (from 2:44 ish)

Al Jazeera April 10th 2006.
    Yeah, it really hasn’t happened though, eh.
  11. SubscriberSuzianne
    Misfit Queen
    Isle of Misfit Toys
    Moves
    30 Oct '18 19:55
    @whodey said

Trump and his lackies ARE the Swamp.

"Bigger and better than ever."
  12. Subscriberdivegeester
    Leave Means Leave
    Voting not marching!
    Moves
    30 Oct '18 21:061 edit
    @shavixmir said
    Yeah, it really hasn’t happened though, eh.
    Okay, at the risk of incurring left wing scorn I will reply...

We need to look at human behaviour outside of the contemporary, outside of time. Let’s consider Christianity, Catholicism 100s of years ago. When the catholics were in the minority they were vocal but compliant, when in the majority we had the inquisition. This is NOT about catholics nor is it about Muslims, it is about extreme ideologies being in the majority. I am going out on a limb and will state that if any European country becomes majority Islamic there will be a religious cleansing the likes of which have not been seen. Notwithstanding recent decades in Eastern Europe Yugoslavia etc.

Let the hate posts flow.
  13. Subscriberno1marauder
    Humble and Kind
    In the Gazette
    Moves
    30 Oct '18 21:08
    @divegeester said

We need to look at human behaviour outside of the contemporary, outside of time. Let’s consider Christianity, Catholicism 100s of years ago. When the catholics were in the minority they were vocal but compliant, when in the majority we had the inquisition. This is NOT about catholics nor is it about Muslims ...[text shortened]... seen. Notwithstanding recent decades in Eastern Europe Yugoslavia etc.

Let the hate posts flow.
    What makes you think "extreme ideologies" are a majority among Muslims in Europe?
  14. Subscriberdivegeester
    Leave Means Leave
    Voting not marching!
    Moves
    30 Oct '18 21:092 edits
    @no1marauder said
    What makes you think "extreme ideologies" are a majority among Muslims in Europe?
    Majority Islam is an extreme.

Edit; Islam is no where near a majority in European countries at this time.
  15. Germany
    Moves
    30 Oct '18 21:11
    @divegeester said

We need to look at human behaviour outside of the contemporary, outside of time. Let’s consider Christianity, Catholicism 100s of years ago. When the catholics were in the minority they were vocal but compliant, when in the majority we had the inquisition. This is NOT about catholics nor is it about Muslims ...[text shortened]... seen. Notwithstanding recent decades in Eastern Europe Yugoslavia etc.

Let the hate posts flow.
    Do you think that most European Muslims subscribe to an "extreme ideology"?