Please turn on javascript in your browser to play chess.
Debates Forum

Debates Forum

1. 16 Jul '17 23:49
    https://www.theguardian.com/world/2017/jul/16/maryam-mirzakhani-iranian-newspapers-break-hijab-taboo-in-tributes

"Maryam Mirzakhani: Iranian newspapers break hijab taboo in tributes.
    Tehran front pages run photographs of mathematician without head covering,
    showing her prominence overrode rules"

Maryam Mirzakhani, the only woman ever to win a Fields Medal, has died at age 40.
  2. Subscriber mchill
    cryptogram
    17 Jul '17 00:09
    Originally posted by Duchess64
    https://www.theguardian.com/world/2017/jul/16/maryam-mirzakhani-iranian-newspapers-break-hijab-taboo-in-tributes

Maryam Mirzakhani, the only woman ever to win a Fields Medal, has died at age 40.
    A deep tragedy for all that this talented lady will no longer be with us. It seems however the deeply conservative religious rulers in Iran seem to be relaxing a few of their strict rules regarding women, if only slightly.
  3. Standard member sonhouse
    Fast and Curious
    17 Jul '17 12:00
    Originally posted by Duchess64

I posted that in science a few days ago.
  4. 17 Jul '17 21:06
    Originally posted by sonhouse
    I posted that in science a few days ago.
    'A few days ago', she was not dead yet. Sonhouse's post appeared one day before mine.

https://www.theguardian.com/us-news/2017/jul/15/maryam-mirzakhani-mathematician-dies-40

"Maryam Mirzakhani, first woman to win mathematics' Fields medal, dies at 40"

"...died on Saturday [15 July 2017], the university said."

"Mirzakhani died from breast cancer on 14 July 2017 at the age of 40."
    --Wikipedia

There's a discrepancy about the date of her death.
  5. Standard member sonhouse
    Fast and Curious
    19 Jul '17 20:02
    Originally posted by @duchess64
    'A few days ago', she was not dead yet. Sonhouse's post appeared one day before mine.

https://www.theguardian.com/us-news/2017/jul/15/maryam-mirzakhani-mathematician-dies-40

"Maryam Mirzakhani, first woman to win mathematics' Fields medal, dies at 40"

"...died on Saturday [15 July 2017], the university said."

"Mirzakhani died from breast canc ...[text shortened]... July 2017 at the age of 40."
    --Wikipedia

There's a discrepancy about the date of her death.
    I predicted you would bring up the 1 day earlier bit
  6. 19 Jul '17 20:37
    Originally posted by @sonhouse
    I predicted you would bring up the 1 day earlier bit
    Isn't numerical precision important in a thread about a mathematician?
  7. 19 Jul '17 20:53

Wow, without her hijab?

Can we get those pics on pay per view?
  8. 19 Jul '17 20:57
    Tragically young for anyone, made more poignant by the fact that she had so much more to give.

Her work was exceptional

So sad
  9. 19 Jul '17 21:10 / 1 edit
    Originally posted by @blood-on-the-tracks
    Tragically young for anyone, made more poignant by the fact that she had so much more to give.

Her work was exceptional
    So sad
    The world lost a mathematician. Her husband lost a wife; her daughter lost a mother.

"I had better say something here about this question of age, since it is particularly
    important for mathematicians. No mathematician should ever allow himself to forget
    that mathematics, more than any other art or science, is a young man's game. ...
    Galois died at twenty-one, Abel at twenty-seven, Ramanujan at thirty-three, Riemann at forty.
    There have been men who have done great work a good deal later; Gauss's great memoir
    on differential geometry was published when he was fifty (though he had had the fundamental
    ideas ten years before). I do not know an instance of a major mathematical advance initiated
    by a man past fifty. If a man of mature age loses interest in and abandons mathematics,
    the loss is not likely to be very serious either for mathematics or for himself."
    --G.H. Hardy (_A Mathematician's Apology_)

As a counterexample, consider Zhang Yitang, a Chinese mathematician based in the USA.
    In 2013, Zhang Yitang (who was born in 1955), an obscure lecturer at the University of
    New Hampshire (which is not known as a research university) wrote a paper claiming an
    astonishing result: the first finite bound on gaps between prime numbers. His proof
    was confirmed, and Zhang won many awards (including a MacArthur 'genius' award).
    So at age 57-58. Zhang Yitang made a 'major mathematical advance'.
    (He's too old to be eligible for a Fields Medal, which his work would deserve otherwise.)

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Yitang_Zhang
  10. Standard member sonhouse
    Fast and Curious
    19 Jul '17 22:09 / 1 edit
    Yes, but then again I am not a mathemetician, only a half ass engineer At least I build stuff using metric
  11. Standard member sonhouse
    Fast and Curious
    19 Jul '17 22:11
    The world lost a mathematician. Her husband lost a wife; her daughter lost a mother.

"I had better say something here about this question of age, since it is particularly
    important for mathematicians. No mathematician should ever allow himself to forget
    that mathematics, more than any other art or science, is a young man's game. ...
    Galois died a ...[text shortened]... ds Medal, which his work would deserve otherwise.)

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Yitang_Zhang
    Wow, age discrimation in math. So if he had been 40 he would have won the Fields?
  12. Standard member lemon lime
    blah blah blah
    19 Jul '17 22:18
    Originally posted by @whodey
    Wow, without her hijab?

Can we get those pics on pay per view?
    You're required to check off a box claiming you are at least 18 years of age...

hubba hubba !
  13. Standard member lemon lime
    blah blah blah
    19 Jul '17 22:22 / 1 edit
    Yes, but then again I am not a mathemetician, only a half ass engineer At least I build stuff using metric
    I build stuff using metric

What?! With only half an ass???

I'm impressed
  14. Standard member sonhouse
    Fast and Curious
    19 Jul '17 22:32
    Originally posted by @lemon-lime
    [b]I build stuff using metric

What?! With only half an ass???

I'm impressed[/b]
    Yeah but it is very dextrous, kind of like a wide elephant trunk but shorter....Good for cleaning the floor if you use a half ass glove...
  15. Standard member lemon lime
    blah blah blah
    19 Jul '17 23:42
    Yeah but it is very dextrous, kind of like a wide elephant trunk but shorter....Good for cleaning the floor if you use a half ass glove...
    I always do a half ass job of cleaning the floor. That's why my wife insists on doing it herself...

without any help from me