Debates Forum

Debates Forum

1. SubscriberSuzianne
    Misfit Queen
    Isle of Misfit Toys
    Moves
    24 Nov '18 23:461 edit
    @duchess64 said

I believe that it's usually condescending (at best) to add a token minority to a story where
    that character has no real function except to deflect charges of racism against the writer.
    That's often very true, but Schulz was asked by his readership "Hey, why no black kids?"

So he responded with Franklin. And this WAS in the sixties.

I think America, while still yet under segregation for the most part, is still slow to integrate fully. You see a lot more integration in urban areas, where people concentrate, while rural areas and the suburbs are still segregated to a large degree. People will write based on what they know. Comic strips are becoming more racially inclusive (Stone Soup, for one, now has a white divorcee who remarried to a black cop) and there are some strips with predominantly black characters.

We're getting there, Miss D. The road IS long, with setbacks along the way (Donald Trump), but we are getting there.
  2. Zugzwang
    Moves
    25 Nov '18 00:26
    @suzianne said
    That's often very true, but Schulz was asked by his readership "Hey, why no black kids?"

So he responded with Franklin. And this WAS in the sixties.

I think America, while still yet under segregation for the most part, is still slow to integrate fully. You see a lot more integration in urban areas, where people concentrate, while rural areas and the suburbs are still ...[text shortened]... re, Miss D. The road IS long, with setbacks along the way (Donald Trump), but we are getting there.
    "People will write based on what they know."
    --Suzianne

In general, writers should stick to writing about what they know.

An American writer who happens (not necessarily by choice) to have grown up in
    a completely white world would know white people much better than other people.
    So if that writer attempts to write (as perhaps commissioned by one's white boss)
    about, say, a Japanese immigrant community in Hawaii, then, being unfamiliar with
    that reality, one will fall back upon popular ignorant stereotypes, often wildly inaccurate.

There was an Australian television series about a white (of course) detective (the hero) in Singapore.
    It assumed that in 1960s Singapore, every Chinese (the ethnic majority) would have
    spoken Mandarin all the time when, in fact, they usually would have spoken other dialects.

On another note, there was a proposed miniseries about Billy Sing, who's widely
    considered the greatest (at least the most famous) sniper in Australian military history.
    In real life, Billy Sing was the son of a Chinese father and a white English mother.
    The show intended to make the Sing family completely white. The producer
    disingenuously claimed that since Billy Sing was a national hero, it should not matter
    what his 'race' was, so why not make him white to appeal more to a white audience?
    How would people feel about the whitewashing of a black war hero?

Billy Sing was acclaimed as the greatest Allied sniper in the Gallipoli campaign.
    Afterward in France, however, he was seriously wounded, including by poison gas.
    Although he was officially 'cured', circumstantial evidence suggests that he never
    fully recovered from his war wounds. Before the war, he was a professional hunter,
    going out alone in the bush to track animals, shoot them, and sell their meat and hides.
    After the war, suffering from chronic health problems, he was unable to do that work as easily.
    At that time, the concept of PTSD was unknown, and he received no compensation for disability.
    As a proud man, he would have been reluctant or unwilling to claim disability in the first place.
    Some well-connected war heroes were able to find cushy jobs where they could
    get a regular paycheck without having to do much, if any, work, but being non-white,
    Billy Sing found it harder to use any connections. Many years after the war, an
    old friend from the war met him by chance and was shocked by his appearance--it
    seemed that he might not have eaten for days. His friend offered to buy dinner,
    but Billy Sing would not accept charity. He died alone in poverty. It was not until
    much later that other people began to regret that nothing was done to help him.
  3. Standard membershavixmir
    Guppy poo
    Sewers of Holland
    Moves
    25 Nov '18 05:072 edits
    @duchess64 said
    "People will write based on what they know."
    --Suzianne

In general, writers should stick to writing about what they know.

An American writer who happens (not necessarily by choice) to have grown up in
    a completely white world would know white people much better than other people.
    So if that writer attempts to write (as perhaps commissioned by one's white boss)
    a ...[text shortened]... . It was not until
    much later that other people began to regret that nothing was done to help him.
    I have no problems with white people playing Asians, Asians playing blacks or blacks playing whites.

Indeed, if anyone ever made a film about my life, I’d like Samual L. Jackson, Bruce Willis or Beyonce to play me.

Edit: on a side note, my wife says it would probably be Steve Buscemi who’d pick up that role.
  4. Zugzwang
    Moves
    25 Nov '18 06:01
    @shavixmir said
    I have no problems with white people playing Asians, Asians playing blacks or blacks playing whites.

Indeed, if anyone ever made a film about my life, I’d like Samual L. Jackson, Bruce Willis or Beyonce to play me.

Edit: on a side note, my wife says it would probably be Steve Buscemi who’d pick up that role.
    'Artistic freedom' is controlled by disparities in power.

Hollywood still practices yellowface, though no longer blackface.
    White actors often are preferred to play major characters of East Asian heritage.
    In contrast, actors of East Asian heritage are not allowed even to audition for 'white' roles.
    Man,y, if not most, white Americans seem happy about this double standard.
  5. Joined
    18 Jan '07
    Moves
    25 Nov '18 13:06
    @suzianne said
    This hoo-hah over this seems to be what some white people get up to when they try too hard to convince people that they're not racist.
    Nonsense. It's the Daily Heil quoted by whodey - it's the kind of thing actual racists get up to when they want to stir s$#t. Nothing to do with you and Duchess's persecution complex.
  6. Stargazing
    Moves
    25 Nov '18 13:19
    @kazetnagorra said
    Keep trying. One day...
    I don’t think I’ve ever seen Whodey “discuss” anything with anyone in this forum.
  7. Joined
    02 Jan '06
    Moves
    25 Nov '18 14:22
    @suzianne said
    Get a grip, dude.

"Charlie Brown" is a cartoon character.
    Tell that to the PC snowflakes like yourself.

I'm not the one making this stuff up Suzy.

I wish I were.
  8. Joined
    02 Jan '06
    Moves
    25 Nov '18 14:24
    @divegeester said
    I don’t think I’ve ever seen Whodey “discuss” anything with anyone in this forum.
    Essentially I just bring up issues like this one to make a point, while waiting for people like you to give me the thumbs down while calling me stupid, racist, misogynyistic or worse.

I try to debate issues like abortion with people like Suzy but the refuse to engage them.

I wonder why.
  9. Joined
    07 Feb '09
    Moves
    25 Nov '18 18:12
    @whodey said
    Essentially I just bring up issues like this one to make a point, while waiting for people like you to give me the thumbs down while calling me stupid, racist, misogynyistic or worse.

I try to debate issues like abortion with people like Suzy but the refuse to engage them.

I wonder why.
    It's easier to just call you a moron.
  10. Joined
    18 Jan '07
    Moves
    25 Nov '18 20:452 edits
    @whodey said
    Tell that to the PC snowflakes like yourself.

I'm not the one making this stuff up Suzy.

I wish I were.
    You or the Daily Heil, what's the difference? Either way it's a "controversy" invented out of thin air by a s&#t-stirrer. There's nothing real in it, not even something millennial, and you and your decrepit mates in the gutter press know it.
    Though frankly, the most sorry thing about this whole sorry attempt of yours is that someone like Suzianne keeps falling into your easy snares.