Debates Forum

Debates Forum

1. Zugzwang
    Moves
    11 Dec '17 03:55
    https://www.theguardian.com/science/2017/dec/10/having-a-high-iq-is-a-curse-just-look-at-donald-trump

"Having a high IQ is a curse ... just look at Donald Trump."
    --Arwa Mahdawi.

"My IQ is extremely, almost embarrassingly, high. I’ve never actually taken
    an IQ test, mind you, but my educated guess is that, if I did, my score would
    be whatever is the highest possible. No doubt your IQ is lower than mine,
    but please don’t feel stupid or insecure because of this, it’s not your fault.
    You’re probably just born that way."
    --Arwa Mahdawi.

"The survey found Mensans were more likely than the rest of the population to
    have conditions such as mood and anxiety disorders, allergies, asthma and autoimmune diseases."

"People are always wondering why Donald Trump is so temperamental and now,
    I think, we have the answer: his disordered moods are a result of his oversized IQ. Sad!

We know that Trump has a high IQ, possibly even higher than mine if I’m
    being modest, because he never shuts up about it. In 2013, for example,
    he tweeted: “I’m a very compassionate person (with a very high IQ) with
    strong common sense.” He followed these pearls of wisdom with another
    tweet, a month later, saying: “Sorry losers and haters, but my IQ is one of
    the highest – and you all know it! Please don’t feel so stupid or insecure,
    it’s not your fault.” In fact, he has tweeted about his IQ at least 22 times."

"Not everyone is quite as enamoured with IQ tests as Trump. In 2004,
    the New York Times asked Stephen Hawking what his IQ was and he
    memorably replied: “People who boast about their IQ are losers.”"

https://www.theguardian.com/us-news/shortcuts/2017/oct/11/can-iq-tests-settle-whether-trump-is-a-moron

"Can IQ tests settle whether Trump is a moron or not?"

"The opinion of psychologists polled on the issue, who have pointed to the 45th president’s
    [Donald Trump] seemingly limited vocabulary as a strong predictor of poor intelligence."

"Regardless of Trump’s bragging, IQ may be the best thing we have got
    to measure intelligence, but it’s by no means a perfect system."

"he sharpest IQ rises have been in developing nations, where better
    nutrition and iodine supplementation have spiked the graphs."

"The highest score ever recorded is Marilyn vos Savant’s 228, although
    the Guinness Book of Records retired the category Most Intelligent Human
    in which she held the record between 1986 and 1989 when it was
    realised that IQ tests were too unreliable at the extremes of the scale."

"But, other things being equal, IQ remains a very strong predictor of career success.
    In fact, it trumps almost any other factor. However, it is still no predictor of wealth.
    Especially if that wealth came from a rich property-developer daddy."
  2. Standard membershavixmir
    Guppy poo
    Sewers of Holland
    Moves
    11 Dec '17 08:56
    Originally posted by @duchess64
    https://www.theguardian.com/science/2017/dec/10/having-a-high-iq-is-a-curse-just-look-at-donald-trump

--Arwa Mahdawi.

be whatever i ...[text shortened]... no predictor of wealth.
    It’s obvious Trump has an extremely high IQ.
    That’s why he tweets, uses coherent sentences and is a master of diplomacy.

In fact, if it ain’t Trump, it ain’t much.
    I’m pretty sure that Jesus is jealous of Trump. Even God asks him what to do next.
  3. Joined
    04 Feb '05
    Moves
    11 Dec '17 09:17
    the only thing iq tests are good for is measuring how good you are at taking iq tests
  4. Subscribersonhouse
    Fast and Curious
    slatington, pa, usa
    Moves
    11 Dec '17 14:55
    Originally posted by @zahlanzi
    the only thing iq tests are good for is measuring how good you are at taking iq tests
    Besides, do we have anything but the blowhard's word of his alleged IQ?
  5. Behind the scenes
    Moves
    11 Dec '17 15:371 edit

--Arwa Mahdawi.

be whatever i ...[text shortened]... no predictor of wealth.
    "The highest score ever recorded is Marilyn vos Savant’s 228, although the Guinness Book of Records retired the category Most Intelligent Human in which she held the record between 1986 and 1989 when it was realised that IQ tests were too unreliable at the extremes of the scale."

Does this mean your superior intellect is "too unreliable" because you're at the extreme of the scale too? 😀

Retort: The racist, sexist troll mchill insists on viciously attacking me personally, and shows his extreme ignorance by twisting my words...Yada, Yada, Yada.
  6. Zugzwang
    Moves
    12 Dec '17 18:482 edits
    Originally posted by @zahlanzi
    While no knowledgeable scientist claims (as Donald Trump seems to believe) that IQ tests
    are a perfect or complete measure of intelligence, it's a considerable EXAGGERATION to claim
    that IQ tests must have NO CORRELATION to everything else. Modern psychologists still
    use IQ tests because their results have SOME VALUE WITHIN A PROPER CONTEXT.
    (I doubt that any of the mathematicians who won Fields Medals have below average IQ scores.)

I would add that modern IQ tests have become less culturally biased than some past IQ tests.
    There's a popular overreaction (which seems based on anti-'intellectual elitism' ) to IQ tests.
    Modern psychologists tend to have carefully nuanced views about the value of IQ tests.
    They tend to be far from the populist stereotype used to frighten children.

As a child, I was given an IQ test in a foreign language, which I had hardly begun to learn
    and did not speak at home. From my experience, I know all about bias in IQ testing

An IQ test may be used--in context--as a predictive tool rather than a prescriptive restraint.
    Let's suppose that a girl from a poor family does not aspire to become more than, say, a clerical worker.
    Then her IQ test shows exceptional potential that has been overlooked by her stereotypical teachers.
    Her family could use her IQ test to help her get educational opportunities for 'gifted' children.
  7. Zugzwang
    Moves
    12 Dec '17 18:51
    Originally posted by @sonhouse
    Besides, do we have anything but the blowhard's word of his alleged IQ?
    GM Pal Benko once heard Donald Trump boast that he's a genius, who could become
    a GM within two years of starting chess. If it happened, it would be a world record.
  8. Zugzwang
    Moves
    12 Dec '17 18:562 edits
    Originally posted by @mchill
    "The highest score ever recorded is Marilyn vos Savant’s 228, although the Guinness Book of Records retired the category Most Intelligent Human in which she held the record between 1986 and 1989 when it was realised that IQ tests were too unreliable at the extremes of the scale."

Does this mean your superior intellect is "too unreliable" because you're a ...[text shortened]... ttacking me personally, and shows his extreme ignorance by twisting my words...Yada, Yada, Yada.
    The troll Mchill's wrong to imply that I like to emphasize my IQ score or define my identity by it.

As a child, I was given an IQ test in a foreign language, which I had hardly begun to learn
    and did not speak at home. From my experience, I know all about bias in IQ testing.
    My IQ score was far less than Marilyn vos Savant's world record 228.

While I am eligible, I have no interest in joining Mensa . I almost never discuss my IQ score
    with other people or ask other people about their IQ scores.
  9. Subscriberkmax87
    Land of Free
    Health and Education
    Moves
    12 Dec '17 21:221 edit
    ....While I am eligible, I have no interest in joining Mensa . I almost never discuss my IQ score
    with other people or ask other people about their IQ scores.
    Shucks, but in your innocent way you kind of just did, didn't you? Mensa eligibility requires you to be in the top 2% of any MENSA approved test.

So while you haven't, you sort of have, which seems to be par for your course.

It's like your complaint of other people trolling you becomes a form of trolling behaviour in of itself. Your complaint against racism approaches a form of race based attack. Your charge against male constructed sexism couches most of your targets in sexist terms.

You obviously think alls fair in debates and posting, and crushing your opponents by whatever means possible, by infuriating your opponent seems your first line of attack. Whatever works, right?
  10. Zugzwang
    Moves
    12 Dec '17 21:34
    Originally posted by @kmax87
    Shucks, but in your innocent way you kind of just did, didn't you? Mensa eligibility requires you to be in the top 2% of any MENSA approved test.

So while you haven't, you sort of have, which seems to be par for your course.

It's like your complaint of other people trolling you becomes a form of trolling behaviour in of itself. Your complaint against ...[text shortened]... s possible, by infuriating your opponent seems your first line of attack. Whatever works, right?
    Kmax87 misunderstands or distorts the context, which was Mchill's claim that my IQ score
    supposedly would be in the neighbourhood of Marilyn vos Savant's world record 228.
    I already have written that my IQ score (on a test in a foreign language) was much lower.

Contrary to what Kmax87 may assume, the issue of Mensa membership has been discussed
    before by other writers (including Sonhouse and Suzianne). Suzianne has written of
    being eligible for Mensa (Ash accused her of boasting) and getting bored at a Mensa meeting.

Many men have traditionally believed that women should do their utmost to conceal their
    intelligence (perhaps including lying that their IQ scores are much lower) from men in order
    to appease very insecure men. Kmax87's behavior seems consistent with that attitude.
  11. Subscribersonhouse
    Fast and Curious
    slatington, pa, usa
    Moves
    12 Dec '17 22:112 edits
    Kmax87 misunderstands or distorts the context, which was Mchill's claim that my IQ score
    supposedly would be in the neighbourhood of Marilyn vos Savant's world record 228.
    I already have written that my IQ score (on a test in a foreign language) was much lower.

Contrary to what Kmax87 may assume, the issue of Mensa membership has been discussed
    befo ...[text shortened]... in order
    to appease very insecure men. Kmax87's behavior seems consistent with that attitude.
    I guess that goes along with tall girls hunching over to 'conceal' their unusual height.
    I LIKE smart women, my wife is easly smart enough for Mensa and maybe the 1 percent unite club too. Her daughter clocked in at 170 and Susan 156, they scored identically on the test but Darcy was about 12 and Susan about 31 so Darcy got a higher number. It was very easy to tell Darcy was a real genius.
    Savant's 228 was pretty bogus, as adult scoring 'only' 186🙂 Poor girl, not high enough for the nines club🙂 She still lived an intersting life. Someone asked her what she has done with her vaunted intelligence, she said Well, I wrote a book🙂 Pretty good sense of humor I thought.
    Terence Tao seems to have clocked in at 230, beating Savant but according to this site:

https://www.quora.com/Did-Terence-Tao-actually-have-an-IQ-of-230-Is-that-actually-possible

Other kids have scored as much as a questionable 400! By the age definition, a 4 yo scores like a 16 yo, they call it an IQ of 400 just the ratio of ages. Of course that cannot continue into adulthood since there is no way to test reliably the intelligence of such hyper intelligent peope at the upper ranks of human intelligence when they are adults.

Tao fulfilled his potential by winning the Fields medal in math, not sure of the others.

I would love to see or hear a conversation between Trump and Tao or Savant🙂
  12. Zugzwang
    Moves
    12 Dec '17 23:402 edits
    I guess that goes along with tall girls hunching over to 'conceal' their unusual height.
    I LIKE smart women, my wife is easly smart enough for Mensa and maybe the 1 percent unite club too. Her daughter clocked in at 170 and Susan 156, they scored identically on the test but Darcy was about 12 and Susan about 31 so Darcy got a higher number. It was very e ...[text shortened]... e of the others.

I would love to see or hear a conversation between Trump and Tao or Savant🙂
    Will Kmax87 scold Sonhouse for 'boasting' about his wife and her daughters' IQ scores?
    Or will Kmax87 think "Sonhouse's a man, so he has every right to do that"?

Terence Tao comes from an intellectually gifted Chinese immigrant family in Australia.
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Terence_Tao

"Tao's father, Dr. Billy Tao (Chinese: 陶象國; pinyin: Táo Xiàngguó ), was a pediatrician
    who was born in Shanghai and earned his medical degree (MBBS) from the University of
    Hong Kong in 1969.[2] Tao's mother, Grace (Chinese: 梁蕙蘭, English: Leung Wai-lan),
    is from Hong Kong; she received a first-class honours degree in physics and mathematics
    at the University of Hong Kong.[3] She was a secondary school teacher of mathematics
    and physics in Hong Kong.[4] Billy and Grace met as students at the University of Hong Kong.[5]
    They then emigrated from Hong Kong to Australia.[6]

Tao has two brothers living in Australia, both of whom represented Australia at the
    International Mathematical Olympiad.
    Nigel Tao was part of the team at Google Australia that created Google Wave.[7]
    He now works on the Go programming language.
    Trevor Tao is an International Master in Chess. He has a double degree in mathematics
    and music and is an autistic savant."

"I would love to see or hear a conversation between Trump and Tao."
    --Sonhouse

Trump: You're supposed to be good in math. You look Asian. Are you Chinese or Japanese?
    Tao: Australian. My parents are Chinese immigrants from Hong Kong.
    Trump: So are you on my side or their side?
  13. Subscribersonhouse
    Fast and Curious
    slatington, pa, usa
    Moves
    12 Dec '17 23:46
    Will Kmax87 scold Sonhouse for 'boasting' about his wife and her daughters' IQ scores?
    Or will Kmax87 think "Sonhouse's a man, so he has every right to do that"?

Terence Tao comes from an intellectually gifted Chinese immigrant family in Australia.
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Terence_Tao

"Tao's father, Dr. Billy Tao (Chinese: 陶象國; pinyin: Táo Xi ...[text shortened]... al Master in Chess. He has a double degree in mathematics
    and music and is an autistic savant."
    A bit like the Polgar family, highly intelligent parents and highly intelligent children. Didn't know the brothers and parents at the Tao family were so brilliant also.

I wasn't bragging, just stating fact. I wish Darchelle was still alive.
  14. Zugzwang
    Moves
    12 Dec '17 23:55
    A bit like the Polgar family, highly intelligent parents and highly intelligent children. Didn't know the brothers and parents at the Tao family were so brilliant also.

I wasn't bragging, just stating fact. I wish Darchelle was still alive.
    I did NOT accuse Sonhouse of bragging about his wife and her daughters.

The racist White Australia policy would have earlier barred the Tao family from
    emigrating from Hong Kong to Australia.

Terence Tao's clearly much more brilliant than his parents and brothers.
    Given that one of his brothers became IM, I wonder what Terence Tao could have
    achieved in chess if he had taken it seriously.
  15. Subscribersonhouse
    Fast and Curious
    slatington, pa, usa
    Moves
    13 Dec '17 00:11
    I did NOT accuse Sonhouse of bragging about his wife and her daughters.

The racist White Australia policy would have earlier barred the Tao family from
    emigrating from Hong Kong to Australia.

Terence Tao's clearly much more brilliant than his parents and brothers.
    Given that one of his brothers became IM, I wonder what Terence Tao could have
    achieved in chess if he had taken it seriously.
    Sorry, make that 'boasting', but still one cannot be blamed for being a bit prejudiced about a loved one with so much intelligence.

I wondered the same thing about Terence but of course he did really important work in math and that is his life so there wouldn't be a lot of time for chess.