Debates Forum

Debates Forum

  1. Subscribermoonbus
    Uber-Nerd
    Joined
    31 May '12
    Moves
    2436
    15 Nov '15 08:51
    If the Catalans secede, can the Basques be far behind?

    http://www.bbc.com/news/world-europe-29982960

    And then Scotland? And then Wallonia? Does everybody want self rule these days?

    PS Bavaria already maintains an embassy in Berlin !
  2. Standard memberbill718
    Enigma
    Seattle
    Joined
    03 Sep '06
    Moves
    3298
    15 Nov '15 09:29
    Originally posted by moonbus
    If the Catalans secede, can the Basques be far behind?

    http://www.bbc.com/news/world-europe-29982960

    And then Scotland? And then Wallonia? Does everybody want self rule these days?

    PS Bavaria already maintains an embassy in Berlin !
    We hear the same thing from Texas here in America every year. No one wants any government interference (until they need the government for something)
  3. Standard memberKellyJay
    Walk your Faith
    USA
    Joined
    24 May '04
    Moves
    149044
    15 Nov '15 09:541 edit
    Originally posted by bill718
    We hear the same thing from Texas here in America every year. No one wants any government interference (until they need the government for something)
    Except it seem most of our issues are our own government these days.
  4. Standard membershavixmironline
    Guppy poo
    Sewers of Holland
    Joined
    31 Jan '04
    Moves
    56381
    15 Nov '15 10:42
    Europe's always breaking up and coming together. It's like an abusive relationship.
  5. Joined
    04 Feb '05
    Moves
    29132
    15 Nov '15 14:33
    Originally posted by moonbus
    If the Catalans secede, can the Basques be far behind?

    http://www.bbc.com/news/world-europe-29982960

    And then Scotland? And then Wallonia? Does everybody want self rule these days?

    PS Bavaria already maintains an embassy in Berlin !
    "If the Catalans secede" that doesn't mean europe is breaking up.
  6. SubscriberSuzianne
    Misfit Queen
    Isle of Misfit Toys
    Joined
    08 Aug '03
    Moves
    35854
    15 Nov '15 14:54
    Originally posted by moonbus
    If the Catalans secede, can the Basques be far behind?

    http://www.bbc.com/news/world-europe-29982960

    And then Scotland? And then Wallonia? Does everybody want self rule these days?

    PS Bavaria already maintains an embassy in Berlin !
    And what about the UK?

    All the talk I ever hear on this subject is whether the UK will finally decide to quit the EU.

    I'm sure opinions are divided even in the UK.
  7. Standard membershavixmironline
    Guppy poo
    Sewers of Holland
    Joined
    31 Jan '04
    Moves
    56381
    15 Nov '15 15:53
    Originally posted by Suzianne
    And what about the UK?

    All the talk I ever hear on this subject is whether the UK will finally decide to quit the EU.

    I'm sure opinions are divided even in the UK.
    Most normal Europeans couldn't care less if England's in Europe, is part of thr US or if it sinks to the bottom of the sea.
  8. SubscriberAThousandYoung
    iEn guardia, Ingles!
    tinyurl.com/y43jqfyd
    Joined
    23 Aug '04
    Moves
    24791
    15 Nov '15 17:292 edits
    Originally posted by moonbus
    If the Catalans secede, can the Basques be far behind?

    http://www.bbc.com/news/world-europe-29982960

    And then Scotland? And then Wallonia? Does everybody want self rule these days?

    PS Bavaria already maintains an embassy in Berlin !
    If the Catalonians secede, Castile will have to call in her old alliance with Genoa and squeeze those Nordics. Goths and Alans go back to Germany!

    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/War_of_the_Two_Peters

    France will help with the Basques.
  9. Joined
    27 Dec '05
    Moves
    143878
    15 Nov '15 17:43
    Originally posted by shavixmir
    Most normal Europeans couldn't care less if England's in Europe, is part of thr US or if it sinks to the bottom of the sea.
    I wonder if you would've said that in the 2nd WW .
  10. Joined
    02 Jan '06
    Moves
    10087
    15 Nov '15 17:55
    Originally posted by moonbus
    If the Catalans secede, can the Basques be far behind?

    http://www.bbc.com/news/world-europe-29982960

    And then Scotland? And then Wallonia? Does everybody want self rule these days?

    PS Bavaria already maintains an embassy in Berlin !
    Historically, Scottland fought bloody wars for independence in the distant past.

    However, when told to go vote recently for independence they opted to stay put.

    I often wonder if the Scottish of old had voted would the votes have turned up to stay put.
  11. SubscriberAThousandYoung
    iEn guardia, Ingles!
    tinyurl.com/y43jqfyd
    Joined
    23 Aug '04
    Moves
    24791
    15 Nov '15 17:56
    Originally posted by whodey
    Historically, Scottland fought bloody wars for independence in the distant past.

    However, when told to go vote recently for independence they opted to stay put.

    I often wonder if the Scottish of old had voted would the votes have turned up to stay put.
    Scotland is full of Anglos now. The real Scots voted for independence but the ethnic Anglo-Scots voted for Union.
  12. Joined
    02 Jan '06
    Moves
    10087
    15 Nov '15 17:57
    Originally posted by bill718
    We hear the same thing from Texas here in America every year. No one wants any government interference (until they need the government for something)
    True.

    Voters are schitzophrenic that way. Usually political leaders exploit the path to the least resistance and voters go along like rats dancing to the Pide Piper.
  13. Standard membershavixmironline
    Guppy poo
    Sewers of Holland
    Joined
    31 Jan '04
    Moves
    56381
    15 Nov '15 17:58
    Originally posted by phil3000
    I wonder if you would've said that in the 2nd WW .
    I wonder if you would have said that in 1066...
  14. Joined
    02 Jan '06
    Moves
    10087
    15 Nov '15 17:58
    Originally posted by AThousandYoung
    Scotland is full of Anglos now. The real Scots voted for independence but the ethnic Anglo-Scots voted for Union.
    I wonder if this was by design.

    The lesson learned is that if you want political control but don't have the support, just bring in immigrants who do support you.

    The US is currently doing the same thing.
  15. SubscriberAThousandYoung
    iEn guardia, Ingles!
    tinyurl.com/y43jqfyd
    Joined
    23 Aug '04
    Moves
    24791
    15 Nov '15 18:03
    Originally posted by whodey
    I wonder if this was by design.

    The lesson learned is that if you want political control but don't have the support, just bring in immigrants who do support you.

    The US is currently doing the same thing.
    It was by design. That's how imperialists do things. Same thing happened in Northern Ireland. Australia. Etc.
Back to Top