Please turn on javascript in your browser to play chess.
Debates Forum

Debates Forum

1. Standard member sh76
    Civis Americanus Sum
    08 Dec '09 14:30 / 3 edits
    http://www.realclearpolitics.com/video/2009/12/07/reid_compares_health_care_opponents_to_supporters_of_slavery.html

"Instead of joining us on the right side of history, all the Republicans can come up with is, 'slow down, stop everything, let's start over.' If you think you've heard these same excuses before, you're right," Reid said Monday. "When this country belatedly recognized the wrongs of slavery, there were those who dug in their heels and said 'slow down, it's too early, things aren't bad enough.'"

Really, Harry? Opposing a watered down half-assed healthcare bill that might not do much but increase costs for most insured is the exact same thing as supporting slavery. Really, now?

How about you get control of "your" party in the Senate (which controls 60 seats, I need not remind you) and come up with a bill that actually makes sense before you go whining about how anyone who opposes you is like a slavery supporter?

Is Reid really that stupid or does he just think his audience is really that gullible?

Well, fortunately for Republicans and, in the long run, Democrats alike, Reid looks like he may be in a bit of trouble come next November.

http://www.realclearpolitics.com/epolls/2010/senate/nv/nevada_senate_tarkanian_vs_reid-1099.html

Geez; this clown makes me wax nostalgic for the days of Tip O'Neil and Tom Daschle.
  2. Standard member Seitse
    Doug Stanhope
    08 Dec '09 14:59
    Originally posted by sh76
    a watered down half-assed healthcare bill
    And of course we could make clear that this is just
    your opinion about the bill, right?

Whoever disagrees with your opinion about the bill,
    henceforth, can agree with Reid and just move on
    with progress.

3. Standard member sh76
    Civis Americanus Sum
    08 Dec '09 15:30 / 1 edit
    Originally posted by Seitse
    And of course we could make clear that this is just
    your opinion about the bill, right?

Whoever disagrees with your opinion about the bill,
    henceforth, can agree with Reid and just move on
    with progress.

That this bill is watered down is almost beyond dispute.

But that aside, whoever disagrees with my opinion is perfectly free to support this or any other bill; that's perfectly fine. I would not stoop to calling those people slavery sympathizers or some such nonsensical equivalent. Unlike Harry Reid, I have more respect than that for my audience.

My criticism of Reid on this issue is not his support of the bill (though I do think they've made a muck of what could have been a good thing in healthcare reform); but his absurd tactic of trying to silence his opposition by invoking the irrelevant spectre of slavery.
  4. Standard member Seitse
    Doug Stanhope
    08 Dec '09 15:35
    That this bill is watered down is almost beyond dispute.

But that aside, whoever disagrees with my opinion is perfectly free to support this or any other bill; that's perfectly fine. I would not stoop to calling those people slavery sympathizers or some such nonsensical equivalent. Unlike Harry Reid, I have more respect than that for my audience.

My criti ...[text shortened]... surd tactic of trying to silence his opposition by invoking the irrelevant spectre of slavery.
    I basically don't give a rat's arse about Reid, really.

Just wanted to make clear that his statement is a whole different thing from
    the bill itself.

As for being beyond dispute that the bill is watered down... well, I am sure
    and intelligent and educated man as you are knows that "almost beyond dispute"
    is pure demagogy and such epithet is more proper of scientific stuff, not of
    political opinion where everything is disputable.

But, hey, that's just my opinion.
  5. Standard member sh76
    Civis Americanus Sum
    08 Dec '09 16:44
    Originally posted by Seitse
    I basically don't give a rat's arse about Reid, really.

Just wanted to make clear that his statement is a whole different thing from
    the bill itself.

As for being beyond dispute that the bill is watered down... well, I am sure
    and intelligent and educated man as you are knows that "almost beyond dispute"
    is pure demagogy and such epithet is more pro ...[text shortened]... of
    political opinion where everything is disputable.

But, hey, that's just my opinion.
    demagogy? epithet?

What are you talking about?
  6. Subscriber Sleepyguy
    Reepy Rastardly Guy
    08 Dec '09 17:56
    Yes. He is that stupid.
  7. Standard member shavixmir
    Guppy poo
    08 Dec '09 20:43
    Republicans are pro-slavery.
    May not be the local negroes hanging from the tree, but they sure as hell don't mind wee kids in Indonesia and India working 16 hours a day for less than a dollar to fabricate those Gap T-shirts, Nike shoes and Mickey Mouse plastic ears.

Republicans are pro-slavery and they hate the idea of people getting free health care. They just want to stick us all in factories for as many hours as possible a day. And the only health care they wish upon is "experimentation". Just in case a chimp or a pig or a rat doesn't do the trick.

Republicans are bastards.
  8. 08 Dec '09 21:02
    Originally posted by shavixmir
    May not be the local negroes hanging from the tree, but they sure as hell don't mind wee kids in Indonesia and India working 16 hours a day for less than a dollar to fabricate those Gap T-shirts, Nike shoes and Mickey Mouse plastic ears.

Republicans are pro-slavery and they hate the idea of people getting free health care. ...[text shortened]... ". Just in case a chimp or a pig or a rat doesn't do the trick.

How the hell do you know, youre not from here. But youve always had a big mouth, for sure. Republicans are conservative, pay as you go kind of people.Low taxes. Get up in the morning. Try HARD, GO TO WORK. I know these are alien terms for a nitwit like yourself. Sure the stereotype of the cold hearted republican exists, clowns like you just like to flip that out, truth is there are just as many wealthy democrats over here as there are republicans. Just as many racists in the democratic party too. Just as many racists (no, more!) in your little blond haired blue eyed empire. Would you like some gravy with them there diamonds guvna? I bet people in your low life hood are sucking up the Indonesian made garments too buddy, we dont have exclusive right to buying that stuff over here.What I have seen here over the years at this site though is your lazy useless a$$ trying to justify your viewpoints at American expense, Republican expense, conservative expense. What a wasted life. Try waking up one day not taking in the big whats in it for me suck while trying to justify your useless existence. Other than that, have a good day bro.
  9. 08 Dec '09 21:02 / 3 edits
    http://www.realclearpolitics.com/video/2009/12/07/reid_compares_health_care_opponents_to_supporters_of_slavery.html

"Instead of joining us on the right side of history, all the Republicans can come up with is, 'slow down, stop everything, let's start over.' If you think you've heard these same excuses before, you're right," Reid said Monday. "When this co z; this clown makes me wax nostalgic for the days of Tip O'Neil and Tom Daschle.
    No, Harry Reid is not stupid. He's insinuating, if not saying outright, that the Republicans will oppose any sort of health care measure that endorses a universal health care model or does not draw back from current government health care.

That's a correct assessment as far as I am concerned. I've never seen anything different from the Republicans.

Tax for helping people = bad
    Tax for warmongering and killing = good

There's you Republican position.

*edit* mixed up my double negatives
  10. Standard member sh76
    Civis Americanus Sum
    08 Dec '09 21:10

Republicans are pro-slavery and they hate the idea of people getting free health care. ...[text shortened]... ". Just in case a chimp or a pig or a rat doesn't do the trick.

Shav's off his meds, folks.

Watch out!
  11. 08 Dec '09 21:30

[i]"Instead of joining us on the right side of history, all the Republicans can come up with is, 'slow down, stop everything, let's start over.' If you think you've heard these same excuses before, you're right," Reid said Monday. "When this co ...[text shortened]... z; this clown makes me wax nostalgic for the days of Tip O'Neil and Tom Daschle.

... Reid said Monday. "When this country belatedly recognized the wrongs of slavery, there were those who dug in their heels and said 'slow down, it's too early, things aren't bad enough.'"
  12. Subscriber Sleepyguy
    Reepy Rastardly Guy
    08 Dec '09 21:47

I'd bet that's pretty close to how Reid sounds when the camera's are off. Damnable Rethuglican slave masters!

Hilarious. Keep it up Shav. Maybe one day you too will lead the US Senate. You're smart just like Harry Reid.
  13. Standard member Seitse
    Doug Stanhope
    08 Dec '09 22:13
    demagogy? epithet?

What are you talking about?
    http://www.merriam-webster.com/
  14. Standard member telerion
    True X X Xian
    08 Dec '09 23:23 / 1 edit

[i]"Instead of joining us on the right side of history, all the Republicans can come up with is, 'slow down, stop everything, let's start over.' If you think you've heard these same excuses before, you're right," Reid said Monday. "When this co z; this clown makes me wax nostalgic for the days of Tip O'Neil and Tom Daschle.
    Political hyperbole? Why waste your time writing a post feigning incredulity?
  15. Standard member Traveling Again
    I'm 1/4 Ninja
    09 Dec '09 00:38

[i]"Instead of joining us on the right side of history, all the Republicans can come up with is, 'slow down, stop everything, let's start over.' If you think you've heard these same excuses before, you're right," Reid said Monday. "When this co ...[text shortened]... z; this clown makes me wax nostalgic for the days of Tip O'Neil and Tom Daschle.
    Politicians are hypocrites. Why anyone ever gives credence to what they say is beyond me. And
    I always think it's a little funny when someone sounds surprised when they put their feet in their
    mouth. But I guess the fun of it is to make fun of them.