Please turn on javascript in your browser to play chess.
Debates Forum

Debates Forum

1. 19 Jan '18 14:40 / 2 edits
    Or perhaps simply amusing?

Cast your votes, brave debate warriors!

http://www.abc.net.au/news/2018-01-19/chinas-women-only-car-parks-spark-sexist-backlash-on-social-site/9335630

EDIT: Oopsie-daisy, accidentally wrote "racist" instead of "sexist".
  2. 19 Jan '18 15:06
    Originally posted by @great-king-rat

http://www.abc.net.au/news/2018-01-19/chinas-women-only-car-parks-spark-sexist-backlash-on-social-site/9335630

I thought racist and sexist were synonyms.
  3. 19 Jan '18 15:55
    Originally posted by @whodey
    Nope. They are two totally distinct qualities of your president
  4. Subscriber kmax87
    Health and Education
    19 Jan '18 16:04 / 1 edit
    Originally posted by @great-king-rat

Is it considered sexist because it plays into that stereotype of Chinese women being really bad drivers, and giving them a car park to themselves really emphasizes that point?
  5. 19 Jan '18 16:18
    Originally posted by @kmax87
    Is it considered sexist because it plays into that stereotype of Chinese women being really bad drivers, and giving them a car park to themselves really emphasizes that point?
    I suppose so.

Watching countless hours of American t.v. has taught me that basically ALL Asians are bad drivers.

YouTube

So maybe the rest of the world should have extra wide parking spaces for Asians.

Although that does seem to carry the somewhat unpleasant odor of racism, I have to say.
  6. Standard member shavixmir
    Guppy poo
    19 Jan '18 16:42
    I’ve never heard of Asian women being specifically bad drivers.

Women in general... yeah...
  7. 19 Jan '18 18:50 / 1 edit
    Originally posted by @great-king-rat to Kmax87
    I suppose so.

Watching countless hours of American t.v. has taught me that basically ALL Asians are bad drivers.

[youtube]ECWTCsUx62s[/youtube]

So maybe the rest of the world should have extra wide parking spaces for Asians.

Although that does seem to carry the somewhat unpleasant odor of racism, I have to say.
    American television loves its narrow demeaning stereotypes of Asians.
    Is there any evidence (from insurance records) of drivers in Japan, for instance,
    having a significantly higher rate of accidents than drivers in the USA?

"...has taught me that basically ALL Asians are bad drivers."
    --GreatKingRat

Will GreatKingRat demand to replace Takuma Sato on his professional racing team?

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Takuma_Sato

"He is also the first Asian driver to win the Indianapolis 500, having won the 2017 event."
  8. 19 Jan '18 19:01
    Separate lavatories for men and women is sexist.
  9. 19 Jan '18 19:18
    Originally posted by @divegeester
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Unisex_public_toilet

"Gender-neutral toilet facilities benefit transgender populations and people who exist outside
    of the gender binary. Unisex public toilets also benefit people with disabilities, the elderly,
    and anyone else who may require the assistance from someone of another gender, including
    parents who wish to accompany their children to the washroom or toilet facility."
  10. Subscriber Suzianne
    Misfit Queen
    19 Jan '18 19:49
    Originally posted by @whodey
    You would. Adults know better.
  11. Subscriber Suzianne
    Misfit Queen
    19 Jan '18 19:52
    Originally posted by @divegeester
    How so?

It would only be "sexist" if the facilities for one gender were substantially less adequate than the facilities for the other gender.
  12. 19 Jan '18 22:47
    Originally posted by @duchess64
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Unisex_public_toilet

"Gender-neutral toilet facilities benefit transgender populations and people who exist outside
    of the gender binary. Unisex public toilets also benefit people with disabilities, the elderly,
    and anyone else who may require the assistance from someone of another gender, including
    parents who wish to accompany their children to the washroom or toilet facility."
    Thanks for that exegesis.
  13. 19 Jan '18 22:47
    Originally posted by @suzianne
    How so?

It would only be "sexist" if the facilities for one gender were substantially less adequate than the facilities for the other gender.
    Tongue was in cheek Suzianne, please relax,
  14. Standard member shavixmir
    Guppy poo
    20 Jan '18 16:13
    Originally posted by @suzianne
    How so?

Having just been to the States, I have to conclude the doors in the public lavatories are severely lacking for both sexes.

What the hell’s the matter with you people? If I need to take a dump, I don’t want tall people looking over the doors and I sure as hell don’t want cracks between door and wall so large people start talking to me.

As for the rest.... I reckon I agree... how the hell can seperate toilets be sexist.

Say we had seperate toilets for whites and blacks, would that be racist?
    Mhmmm... oh... well... okay...

But, but, but... it’s different!
    Or is it?

I guess I don’t distinguish between blacks and whites, but I do have severe trouble pooping with women listening in.
    I reckon if I was gay, I’d have to poop in a woman’s toilet.

Yeah. That’s it!
    I don’t want women, I want to have rim me, hearing me poop.

Guess I’m old fashioned after all!
  15. 20 Jan '18 16:29
    Originally posted by @shavixmir
    Having just been to the States, I have to conclude the doors in the public lavatories are severely lacking for both sexes.

What the hell’s the matter with you people? If I need to take a dump, I don’t want tall people looking over the doors and I sure as hell don’t want cracks between door and wall so large people start talking to me.

As for the res ...[text shortened]... don’t want women, I want to have rim me, hearing me poop.

Guess I’m old fashioned after all!
    Tongue was in buttcheek, Suzianne, please relax,