Please turn on javascript in your browser to play chess.
Debates Forum

Debates Forum

1. 12 Feb '12 03:08
    Samuel Jackson recently said that he voted for Obama because he was black.

Does this make Samuel Jackson a racist?
  2. Subscriber Sleepyguy
    Reepy Rastardly Guy
    12 Feb '12 05:01
    Originally posted by whodey

Here's some context for the question.
    Samuel L. Jackson said he voted for President Obama because of his color: “I voted for Barack because he was black. ’Cuz that’s why other folks vote for other people — because they look like them,” the actor says in an outspoken interview in the March issue of Ebony. Jackson sounds off on his feelings for Obama to writer Kevin Powell, saying: “That’s American politics, pure and simple. [Obama’s] message didn’t mean [bleep] to me. In the end, he’s a politician. I just hoped he would do some of what he said he was gonna do. I know politicians say [bleep]; they lie. ’Cuz they want to get elected.” Repeatedly using the N-word, Jackson added that Obama’s philosophical presence had been universally appealing: “When it comes down to it, they wouldn’t have elected a [bleep]. Because, what’s a [bleep]? A [bleep] is scary. Obama ain’t scary at all. [Bleeps] don’t have beers at the White House. [Bleeps] don’t let some white dude, while you in the middle of a speech, call [him] a liar. A [bleep] would have stopped the meeting right there and said, ‘Who the [bleep] said that?’ I hope Obama gets scary in the next four years, ’cuz he ain’t gotta worry about getting re-elected.” Defending his repeated use of the taboo epithet, the “Pulp Fiction” Oscar nominee added, “[It] became a part of my vocabulary when I was born . . . Because it was used on me in my house, often . . . I know the word [bleep] as an admonishment, an endearment, a criticism and an invective. So I use it; I don’t run from it. I don’t have an issue with it or who says it. I always put it in the context of how it was used on me.”

http://www.nypost.com/p/pagesix/politics_of_color_MDmhUI8zFK19t18kHfrI0M#ixzz1m8lvIex2
  3. 12 Feb '12 05:13
    Originally posted by Sleepyguy
    I hope Obama gets scary in the next four years, ’cuz he ain’t gotta worry about getting re-elected.”[/quote][/b]
    No worries Sammy.
  4. Standard member sh76
    Civis Americanus Sum
    12 Feb '12 05:14
    Samuel L. Jackson said he voted for President Obama because of his color: “I voted for Barack because he was black. ’Cuz that’s why other folks vote for other people — because they look like them,” the actor says in an outspoken interview in the March issue of Ebony. Jackson sounds off on his feelings for Obama ...[text shortened]... ttp://www.nypost.com/p/pagesix/politics_of_color_MDmhUI8zFK19t18kHfrI0M#ixzz1m8lvIex2
    Well, I don't know if he's a racist. But he is an idiot.
  5. 12 Feb '12 05:15
    Originally posted by sh76
    If he were white, if the tables were turned, you would be calling him a racist.

Of course, are not all racists idiots?
  6. 12 Feb '12 06:07

It's certainly an indication of the possibility. Certainly if he voted against McCain simply because he's white.

Thing about black voters however, as they've proven in Oakland, NYC, and elsewhere, they will vote overwhelmingly for a white liberal running against a black conservative. Not sure all the other groups would do the same.
  7. Subscriber no1marauder
    It's Nice to Be Nice
    12 Feb '12 06:27 / 1 edit
    Samuel L. Jackson said he voted for President Obama because of his color: “I voted for Barack because he was black. ’Cuz that’s why other folks vote for other people — because they look like them,” the actor says in an outspoken interview in the March issue of Ebony. Jackson sounds off on his feelings for Obama ...[text shortened]... ttp://www.nypost.com/p/pagesix/politics_of_color_MDmhUI8zFK19t18kHfrI0M#ixzz1m8lvIex2
    Great stuff. Or should I say: Great [bleep].

I don't suppose any of you white guys have considered the possibility that, like Jules, he's "in character"?
  8. Standard member shavixmir
    Guppy poo
    12 Feb '12 06:54
    Originally posted by sh76
    You better pray to your God that Sammy L. J. doesn't get a blow torch and pliers to get medievil on your ass.
  9. Subscriber no1marauder
    It's Nice to Be Nice
    12 Feb '12 07:51
    Originally posted by shavixmir
    You better pray to your God that Sammy L. J. doesn't get a blow torch and pliers to get medievil on your ass.
    Actually that was Ving Rhames .............................
  10. 12 Feb '12 14:48
    Originally posted by no1marauder

I don't suppose any of you white guys have considered the possibility that, like Jules, he's "in character"?
    Why would any of us "white devils" give him the benefit of the doubt?

Of course, there will be no reprocussions to his Hollywood carrer for saying such things. In fact, it might even make him more markatable. However, if he were white and said something similar about blacks, he probably could not find any more work from here on out.
  11. Subscriber no1marauder
    It's Nice to Be Nice
    12 Feb '12 15:11
    Why would any of us "white devils" give him the benefit of the doubt?

Of course, there will be no reprocussions to his Hollywood carrer for saying such things. In fact, it might even make him more markatable. However, if he were white and said something similar about blacks, he probably could not find any more work from here on out.
    Yeah, Samuel Jackson, Richard Pryor, Eddie Murphy, Dave Chappelle and others can say the "n" word and they're not considered prejudiced against blacks but if David Duke does he is. What an unfair double standard!
  12. Subscriber Sleepyguy
    Reepy Rastardly Guy
    12 Feb '12 16:13
    Yeah, Samuel Jackson, Richard Pryor, Eddie Murphy, Dave Chappelle and others can say the "n" word and they're not considered prejudiced against blacks but if David Duke does he is. What an unfair double standard!
    Who said he was prejudiced against blacks? The n-word is irrelevant. He says he voted solely on race, and believes everyone else does too.

“That’s American politics, pure and simple. [Obama’s] message didn’t mean [bleep] to me."

If a white guy does it it's racism pure and simple. If a black guy does it you say great stuff and wag your finger at the white guys. He may have been saying it for effect, in character as you say, but his use of the n-word is not the point.
  13. 12 Feb '12 16:22

If you say so.
  14. Standard member sh76
    Civis Americanus Sum
    12 Feb '12 16:33

That last part hardly seems to be an act or playing a character.

“[It] became a part of my vocabulary when I was born . . . Because it was used on me in my house, often . . . I know the word [bleep] as an admonishment, an endearment, a criticism and an invective. So I use it; I don’t run from it. I don’t have an issue with it or who says it. I always put it in the context of how it was used on me.”

That seems like a serious quote and discussion.

Look, I can understand black people voting for a black President. I think it's only natural for a black person to feel happy and proud that we elected a black person President. I'm impressed that Jackson has the guts to say so.

As for the first half of the statement, either:

1) he was putting on an act and then changed in midstream to say something serious, which is a little bizarre

2) The article missed part of the interview where they segued from him being a funny blowhard to discussing something serious; or

3) He's an idiot

One of the three is true. I suppose I could give him the benefit of the doubt and assume it's (2).
  15. Subscriber no1marauder
    It's Nice to Be Nice
    12 Feb '12 16:51
    Who said he was prejudiced against blacks? The n-word is irrelevant. He says he voted solely on race, and believes everyone else does too.

“That’s American politics, pure and simple. [Obama’s] message didn’t mean [bleep] to me."

If a white guy does it it's racism pure and simple. If a black guy does it you say great stuff and wag your finger at th ...[text shortened]... een saying it for effect, in character as you say, but his use of the n-word is not the point.
    If a white guy says I will never vote for a black candidate because he's black, yeah that would make him a racist.

If Samuel Jackson says he voted for the first major party candidate in a Presidential General election because he was black, I don't see it as "racist". "Racism" implies some belief in the innate superiority of one race over another. His comment doesn't suggest anything of the sort.

Right wingers on this forum are always quick to accuse black people of racism which is a little odd.